Stem cell research and foreskin

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by welkineye, Jun 17, 2007.

1. welkineye Registered Member

I have recently read about stem cell research in which the skin of mice was made to regenerate. I understand that regenerated skin was indistinguishable from the original skin of the mice, containing hair follicles and sebaceous glands. (I have attempted to include links to my sources of information but have not made enough posts on the forum to be allowed to do so.) It seems natural to me that in time this research may have implications for the healing of burns victims.

I have also seen pictures of mice with what appears to be the physical structure of a human ear grown directly from their bodies!

I wonder if in time these sorts of technologies might be instrumental in replacing complex human anatomical structures, for example the heart, and specifically, surgically removed human foreskin. Would more complex structures than skin be generated within or on the body, or would they be produced elsewhere for later surgical attachment to the body? Would they grow at an appropriate rate to be a functional part of the mature human body? Would they accurately represent the cellular structures of the original body part, including nerve tissue, or is the peripheral nervous system connected to the central nervous system in a way that is too complex to reproduce in such a manner?

I have also wondered if sex chromosomes might be altered in combination with such technologies in order that transexuals might live with the biologically faithful gender that is congruent with their identities.

An important ethical issue that has occurred to me is that if body parts could be regenerated in some way, certain humans might theoretically be able to remain eternally youthful through recreating their bodies forever young.

I realise that any practical reality relating to these ideas is distant but I am very curious and have an active imagination with the benefit of very limited scientific knowledge. I am sorry that this post may be offensive to some readers. Thanks to anyone responding.