Stem Cell issue

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by atheroy, Feb 7, 2003.

1. atheroy Registered Senior Member

This has surely been a subject before but i thought i'd dredge it up. With the ethic's of the new technologies to do with humans (cloning etc.), i find stem cell technology to be the least offensive. however, it has some serious opposition, but could be VERY beneficial to many people with diseases like parkinsons, not sure the point i'm trying to make but i reckon stem cell technology should not be met with such opposition when the pro's clearly outweigh any of the con's.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

so what do you want to discuss about it?

I'm an enormous expert...I just had an article out with the word 'stem cell' in the title.

edit: It is good to use the term 'stem cell' in your work, since it is still a bit fashionable. Although there are signs that soon 'stem cells' are out and then we have to look for another hot topic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Stem cell technology could mean the end of many of todays worst human afflictions!

And a lot of fat pay cheques for the physicians who currently treat them.
    There are a myriad of ethical issues but most can be disregarded as stem cells can also be found in the umbilicus as well as the pheotus so all can benefit.

I still think it comes down to money as most issues do
    Call me a cynic but I think many people will agree!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

8. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

It has more commercial value than cloning. Certainly at initial stage u need a surrogate to grow stem cells.. combined with cloning it is worst ethically and do wonders in medical/pharma. fields.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

yeah sorry...shall try to be a good boy

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

There should be a notation about how things are worded in some respects as it allows people to understand the Moral issues without formulating wrong understandings.

Simply:
    "CLONING" makes people think of an entire life form, the recreation of something from genetic material.
    This I believe is wrong fundementally because a "Clone" (Human or not) becomes a "Lifetime Case Study" which is unfair to the creation. (We all know where the book/film "Frankenstein" went with this)

Cloning Embryo's to be used for Stem Cell research I don't believe is wrong, but you have to share my perspective:

A female can create many Embryo's throughout their life, and not all of them become lifeforms. So if a female was to give an Embryo for the use in Stem Cell research, it would most definitely be one that would NOT NATURALLY have become another life form.
    (It would have been Flushed down the loo)

Of course I'm sure I'll have someone complain about the nature of the post but life goes on.

11. Balder1 Registered Senior Member

The stupid Bush policy for not funding new stem cell lines research is ridiculous. Another problem caused by Christian fundamentalists. Would a new President be able to undo that rule? I don't know enough about politics.

12. youngbiologist Registered Senior Member

spurious

spurious, about the article, did you get published?

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

yes yes....in Development...just out

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I am very much for stem cell research and therapeutic cloning. Stem cell can make tissue types and be assemble into organs. With stem cell technology we could make all the organ and tissues needed and no longer have a need for transplant organs, blood drives, dieing, ect.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i don't care about therapeutic cloning because I am a biologist and am just curious about how things are.

I has a reporter on the phone not so long a go from a science news website The reporter asked me the practical applications of my work. And I couldn't think of anything at that moment, because I never even had given it any thought.

16. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Stem Cells

spur--how are you using the SCs? Are they ESCs, ASCs, MSCs? :bugeye: Have you injected murine or other species? Is your work organ specific?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In which journal will your paper appear?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This sounds very interesting. I would like to hear more about your research. My area is cardiovascular biology and heart failure. You may have read about our successful transplantations in Brasil.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

My topic is stem cells in teeth...specifically of course in teeth that grow continuously, because otherwise there would be no requirement for stem cells...

I'm not really a stem cell researcher (in spirit), because I am more interested in morphogenesis than in stem cells. I just happen to approach morphogenesis from the stem cell perspective (slightly forced by my supervisor)