Startrek - Enterprise

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by kmguru, Aug 6, 2001.

1. kmguru Staff Member

According to the TV guide, the new series will have science extrapolated to todays technology fast forwrd to 150 years.

Which means:

Nano computers
    AI
    Massive memory
    Genetic foods
    Natural voice by the computers
    wireless keyboards and voice command
    Keyboard will not spark or explode
    Body suits made of AirConditioning material

Add your own...and let us see if they stick to the story.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

How will they have a keyboard that won't spark or explode 150 years down the road? Did they lose the technology after that? It seems that some of the later versions of the Star Trek sagas have stuff that blows up inside. You know displays, ect. So when did we have the dark ages repeat where it was lost?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Sorry wet1, you got lost in the middle of the night. Startrek always used special function keyboards. But like any other movie, the keyboards and the LCD monitors always spark and explode. It is called artistic license.

Somewhere Rick Berman said that, our present day technology is much more advanced than what shows up in startrek - which is true. And if we extrapolate out present technology to 150 years, we will have more advanced computers and I/O devices than even the voyager. So what will happen is just as startrek comes across new technology and conviniently forgets them (like cloaking) the viwers will hopefully forget the technology between near term and far term.

One of the technology is called cloaking, that is invisible to radar or something like that - as in stealth fighter we have today. Apparently we forgot that technology in 23rd centrury. We also forgot to automate the shild procedures. Someone at the helm has to manually raise the shield on imminent danger. We also have only two evasive maneuvers called delta and omega and that has to be manually inputed since the computer is dumb and slow.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Sorry, kmguru ...

No operational aircraft that we have today is 'invisible to radar' or infrared detection either for that matter. That's why they were able to shoot down a F-117, the so-called 'Stealth Fighter' that was used effectively when we bombed Baghdad, during the Kosovo bit a while back. It's surprising how quickly effective counter-measures are developed.

Heck even back during the Vietnam bit the Vietnamese were able to deal pretty quickly with our counter-measures and knock quite a few B-52's out of the skies over Hanoi.

8. kmguru Staff Member

But we did spend billions of tax dollars to reduce the radar and heat signature though...so hopefully we will develop a meterial that absorbs/scatter 99.9% radar illumination.

As far as shooting down a plane, I heard they got lucky by shooting randomly...

Oh! sure there is no such thing as a matter being invisible, it is relative to the sensor used to detect it. The better the sensor, the difficult the camoflague...

The point I was trying to make in regards to the Startrek is how come the Klingons and Romulans have the cloaking technology and we could not (except the Defiant)! and we have been working since 1960s....

9. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Re. F-117 ...

They got so 'lucky' that more than twenty four hours later this was the 'official' line when they knew damned well what had happened from the rescued pilot's debrief:
    Don't be as naive as iszlq.

10. kmguru Staff Member

I did not read the details at the time. If they used sophisticated sensors, they came from Russia for sure. One can use a "Multiple Likelihood Adaptive Neural System" (MLANS) to detect a difficult target. And I agreed that Russians are good in math.

Like iszlq, I did not read your posting thorughly.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

what about 3D monitors, and non-mechanical hard drives. Or am I thinking not far enough in the future. OK then, what about Rosie the robot from the Jetsons? It just isn't sci-fi without Rosie.

But I'm not a huge star-trek fan. I watch it when its on. I used to watch the original on sunday afternoons and next-generation(my fav)when that was on at a reasonable time. Now I can only watch Voyager if I'm up late and can be bothered staying up. I've also watched about 2 episodes of DS-9. But hey, star-treks pretty cool.

12. Pzzaboy Sales Slave Registered Senior Member

If anybodys interested I came across this
    http://www.btinternet.com/~harrymudd/imudd/BrokenBow.txt
    it claims to be the script for the first episode, please take it with several thousand grains of salt, and don't yell at me after the first episode airs.
    But from everything I've read about the series, this is pretty accurate, it has all the officialy released details, so it's either real, or a great forgery. But it sounds like a nice episode either way.

and yes there are exploding screens.

13. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Something that has always confused me about movies and shows that show high-tech equipment.

Why is it that when a piece of major equipment overloads it is always the instrument panels that explode and catch on fire. That just isn’t real. Control panels and instruments that I have built over the years often operate remote relays, always have fuses or circuit breakers, and now we usually have surge protectors as well. Instrument panels are always well protected, and in something like a starship would be beyond damage?

Cris

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

It is called Hollywood license. What would be the fun of the station operator saying, "Oh the fuze blew!"

15. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Ah but it would get a good laugh.

16. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Myself, I think the pyro's are better...

17. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

You guys are forgetting warp drive.
    We don't have that, and if I were in charge I'd trade everything we have today for warp drive if we could still have the computers on voyager, the enterprise e etc.

18. Sorry, but in the future they forget about circuit-breakers & fuses? No, it's just that all the non-techies need fires, explosions and LOUD noises. Did anyone see Jay Leno's spoof of The 'Men's Entertainment'(ME) Channel? No dialog, all action & lots of LOUD noises!!!Too funny & maybe too true for most men (& boys)?

19. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

HOLLYWOOD

Guys it is just a television show!

Offhand, I am reminded of those old Dukes of Hazard shows where the General Lee would jump rivers and land on it's nose, then keep right on going in the next shot. And all those times where car chases ended when it ran into the back of another parked car to ramp over it instead of crashing!

Then there was Mcguver. What a laugh! The list goes on and on.

Actually it is to the credit of the Startrek series that so many things have been gotten right! I imagine that the writers will try to fit the Enterprise series in as best they can.

Stealth tech? Military secrets generally don't last very long. I recently watched a program on the history channel about German U boats. The allies would find a new way to detect them, then the Germans would counter by producing a new way to evade detection. This went on and on during the war. The same will be true of todays stealth technology, if it isn't already. Todays stealth will seem very inadequete in another decade or so. Then the military will likely come out with something new to evade detection all over again! It seems likely that this would play the same in a science fiction world such as Startrek. In fact it has be written that way. An episode of TNG dealt with the detection of a much older Klingon ship from the past.\

As our time goes foward, there are going to be many things about all of the Startrek series that will seem silly. Computers and artificial intelligence will be the most obvious. Just yesterday, I heard a few soundbites about a new advancement where something like a logic circuit had been produced on the molecular level! Startrek Voyager's computer's are going to look as primal as the original series computers do to us now! Transporters however, will probably never be built. Phasers may also be something that never comes to pass. The main reason being that no one has yet to find a way to store that kind of energy needed to fry a Klingon, ect.. in a small hand held device. But who knows?

20. ltcmmdr Registered Senior Member

Star Trek Enterprise

I'm not sure if I would be glad to see another Star Trek series since we have 4 others but it'll be intersting to watch on how the whole Starfleet thing came around and stuff.

21. kmguru Staff Member

Already military has Hyperspectral technology to detect stealth objects. It is based on FFT and HPLC which is an old science. Someday we will use the same technology to detect human physical conditions like a tricorder (the company I worked for ran out of money tring to develop one).

The biggest shock about stories on computers will always be that it will be obsolete even before the strory is written. Our progress in Biotech and Comp Science is much faster and at exponential rate...

22. kmguru Staff Member

I just read that Motorola is going to make Gallium Arsenise chips for computers that will speed up the process by 40 TIMES! What happened to power doubling every 18 months? This is a whole new level...

The writers need to go back to the key board....

23. Riddler Institutionalized Registered Senior Member

The quest continues......

<font color="blue">The Federation has had cloaking technology since "The Enterprise Incident." At the time, Kirk took the Enterprise into Romulan space and acted as though he were suffering from stress related insanity. Spock was also in on this plan and made a statement to the Romulan Commander (a female Romulan) to this very effect after the Enterprise was surrounded by Romulan ships of Klingon design.

At the end of this encounter, Kirk & Spock stole the Romulan Cloaking device and directed Chief Engineer, Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott, to incorporate this alien piece of technology into the Enterprise's main deflector grid. Though the chances of this mergence in technology was highly unlikey, Scotty just barely managed to make the device work before the now really irrate Romulans fired on the Enterprise !!!

Afterwards, the Federation and the Romulan Empire made a new treaty in which the Federation agreed to NOT develop cloaking technology. This promise by the Federation continued until the time of TNG (80-90 yrs. later), in which some at Starfleet began work on a secret Federation Cloaking Device. The result was a cloaking device that also made a Star Ship go out of phase with matter. This allowed starships to literally pass through matter. Unfortunately, the prototype and the project scientists were lost in a field test. Later, the cloaking device was recovered by Enterprise-D, under the command of Capt. Piccard. </font color>

TRICORDER TECH
    A HECK OF A LOT THE VERY THINGS THAT TRICORDERS COULD DO IN STARTREK ARE NOW POSSIBLE!!! Other than being a single, compact, and held package, I don't think that StarTrek's Tricorders could do anything that is now off-the-shelf technology today. Radioshack Stuff ! ! !

Necessary components
    - Gas chromatograph;
    - motion sensors (infrared detectors);
    - laser scanners;
    - CAT & MRI scanners, and
    - radiation detectors.

With the current pace of today's technology, I fully expect that soon these above mentioned components will be combined into a single, small hand held package that may well make Spocks tricorder look downright bulky! If only Gene could see the harvest of the seeds that he and the other Sci-Fi writers planted into the human quest!

???????????................what else do you need??????

Last edited: Sep 29, 2001