Stargate Universe

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, Oct 3, 2009.

1. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Ooh. Good one. I missed the connection with Gilligan's Island.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I believe the idea was to let the ship fly out to points unknown and for the ancients to then use the stargate to check things out once it got there, thus avoiding the inconvenience of sitting on the ship the whole time. The theory is that the ancients learned to ascend before they got around to manning the ship.

PS What was the deal with that pod that seperated from the ship at the end of the episode?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

I didnt really mind anything about the show. It was all well worth watching, and I like it better than the others. I wont nit-pick about little discrepancies, its supposed to be a thrill ride, not a test of our intelligence on scientific possibilities.

I'll enjoy the show, providing it stays interesting enough.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

How can there be points unknown when the ship flies to where stargates are - meaning the area is already surveyed by StarGate installing machines. Unknown would be where the ship sends robot drones to map the star system and perhaps stays in the galaxy for a considerable period. Just a thought...

8. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Was the ship flying to the stargates? I thought that Dr. Rush said he "told" the computer that the ship was in trouble, so it stopped within range of the nearest stargate on a planet with a human-friendly atmosphere.

9. kmguru Staff Member

The ship goes to already charted galaxies. When in trouble, it only goes to the star system where the stargate is. You can not fly FTL through unknown galaxies - that is because computers and sensors do not work on double or 100X the FTL rate.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Unknown in that they were going "where no man had gone before". It would be like us launching a mission to mars but sending a robot ahead of the human crew so that a base was already built when we got there.

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Watching today's episode. I must say that these little snipets where people make "real world" type recordings in which they bitch about how they want to go home are annoying and do nothing to advance the story.

12. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

this show is stupid!!! srsly!! how many more sub series can stargate make before they get retarded? looks like S.U. is it!

13. kmguru Staff Member

Those are time filler and costs pennies to make. I doubt the show will make it to second season.

Tonight's episode did not finish. It is like watching a movie for 3/4 ways and then power goes out. These half baked stories must end.

14. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

i am ADHD And i got no idea..... i am just now watching tonights show.. and still, i dont get it! my dad is a huge fan of this stuff, and he likes it.. but i cant understand a thing! and i watched the first show!! show should be canceled now.. noone will miss it.......

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I actually reversed opinions on this a few times.
    On watching the trailer I thought "Great, It's just another hypochrondiac action flick with cardboard cutouts and no substance, like some of the latter episodes of Atlantis"
    On watching the first episode- It has substance, but acting and plot need a lot more work
    On watching the 2nd and third episode - It's got hope, If they pull it off it'll be Stargate BSG/Atlantis enough dark avenues to wander, and character depth. But it really needs a lot of work at the writing stage to bring that forth.

16. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

it is jumpy, you can't fully understand what is going on unless you can remember what happend before last commercial!!
    my blonde brain sure can't!! I just think its poor... It could be so much better... I would watch stargate and atlantis.. I understood what was going on threw the entire season!!

17. kmguru Staff Member

People need to write to the producers and sci-fi channel that this sucks and get some good writers. This is a fiction with doors the size of several galaxies. These people need to get out more like two to three days on a planet.

I was surprised that Col. Carter could not be on board to save the day. They should get a few smart engineers from Star Gate command to fix things, because these people do not seem to know anything about technology (I assume the writers do not have technical support - aha the cost)

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Yeah. I giant plot hole is why don't they use the communication stones to import scientists and doctors ?

I hated this weeks episode. It was a giant waste of time. If the episode was so long it had to be split into two parts make damn sure that there's something interesting in the first one.
    As it was, It was just a confirmation of what they already knew anyway, Whoop de fucking do.

19. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I am a little surprised the ship has no way of generating more power. Were the ancients not aware of solar power? E=mc^2? Some Ancient-style variant of a bussard ramjet would net them enough hydrogen for a fusion reactor to, at least, operate life support and prevent the ship from falling into the sun they are approaching. Then again it occurred to me that they might be falling towards the system's star and not its planets for just that reason, to collect hydrogen/energy.

I am more accepting of this episode, as it was clearly more about characterization than plot, and you had to expect these sorts of episodes were coming in such an ensemble show.

20. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

21. superstring01 Moderator

Clearly this show is the spiritual successor to BSG. The first episode didn't thrill me, but "Darkness" had a great feel to it. The episode, itself, wasn't climactic, but it definitely set the right tone for how the show should go. The more I see of Col. Young the more I like his style.

And the aerobraking maneuver: fantastic. The lens flair, the shaky camera angles. . . the slow zoom into the ship while skirting through the gas giant. Beautifully done. Though, on a technical level, I was disappointed by its errors. A ship moving that fast (though itself protected by shields) would cause instant illumination of the air around it (think about a meteor in our atmosphere). There were no bright flames or ionization. This would surely happen at those speeds.

~String

22. kmguru Staff Member

Did they ever discuss if they are trvelling FTL, the time that will pass on Earth while only a day paases inside the Ship?

23. superstring01 Moderator

As we all know, time is relative to the observer and the observed. Most time in the universe will vary from place to place, but only by tiny fractions. Any object approaching the speed of light (much less, surpassing it) will have huge differences from the rest of the universe.

IIRC, the FTL drives that are used in various series like Star Trek and Star Gate negate this effect the same whey they do the rest of relativity: they "warp" normal space around them. Their time dilation is, therefore, relevant to the place they left.

~String