Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProphetofWisdom Almighty Tallest Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Is this direct at me or someone else? Also, I don't understand what you are getting at with "4 to 11 is not 1 to 14". Very confused I am.

Its not to bad really, all it says is they are consider a type III even though rated at I. More likely the Borg fall under Type II.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ricrery Banned Banned

I stated four votes of fifteen voted for the Federation, *cough*fanboys*cough*

A low Type II alright.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Since WHEN did Star Wars have Transporters or Anti-Matter, or REPLICATORS for that matter?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And again, where are you getting this Type 1 Type 3 BS from? Are you seriously trying to let others do all the work for you?

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm, what makes you think they are omni-directional? They are configurable warheads... they can do proximity detonation (omni directional) or impact detonation (directed charge) or anything in between... and we've seen a single photon torpedo able to yield an effect on an entire star system with readily available materials used to modify it... without increasing it's size...

9. ProphetofWisdom Almighty Tallest Registered Senior Member

He is talking about one the links to the SDN forums where they talked about WH40K continent level firepower and it takes high Teratons to low Petatons.

That would be incorrect. The Cardassian Dreadnought Missile was around 40-50 Gigatons, nowhere near enough to remove the entire crust of a planet.

He gave the link to wikipedia with the scale. I don't know where he is getting the idea that anyone here or anywhere else has ever claimed the UFP or Borg could take on the Xeelee.

1. I don't recall them being able to be directed, where did this happen?

2. Unless I am mistaken that Photon Torpdoe only scattered nano-probes over a large area, and that doens't really say anything about the yield.

Oh, and in did you see the link to the video with the Star Destroyer being vaporized by an HTL bolt? I believe that proves that SW has low GT firepower at least.

10. ricrery Banned Banned

I already stated not to do that and respond in quotes E.G
    *rinse and repeat*

So Worf couldn't state a "But how did that happen?" or "Strangely 400 gigawatts lowered our shields" and Data states it himself "the Warship is capable of firing us with far more powerful bursts", suggesting that was strong in ST.

Watch the ESB and you'll see Imperial Star Destroyers firing at asteroids and evaporating them instantly.

See how small the hole is and how long it takes

Good thing EU is canon.

I'm talking about calculations stating continent destroying broadsides and continent sized fireballs come between 125 teratons to 125 petatons. Understand what that was? Next time, click a link you stubborn fool.

Really now?

42.96 gigatons? Impressive for Star Trek, but CANON states 30 year old transport ships have 12 200 gigaton turbos and they can slag a planets surface in under an hour. Besides, the 125 teraton-125 petaton continent destroying requirements exceed Star Trek powers.

I never watched Voyager, so I assume it was a wormhole, a black hole would destroy the Voyager.

Dude, Star Wars ISDIIs have 1.4-1.8 exaton shielding! A star like ours only conjures 90 petatons, so the ISDII would absorb flying INTO a star for some time.

Funny thing is Star Trek Galaxy Classes only have 12.75 exawatts worth of shielding, while Imperial Star destroyers have 1.4-1.8 exaton shielding, and that's far greater than a Galaxy Class.

They have Hypergates and Infinity Gates, and many other things. Anti-Matter no. But they can turn planets into lifeless rocks or orbitally bombard a planet. Replicators? Yes

In short, Star Wars pisses all over Star Trek, hell, Babylon 5 does too, and Halo, and many others.

11. ricrery Banned Banned

Ha, considering I already stated even if it wasn't G-Canon (which it is as it is a movie reference book), then it's still CONTINUITY canon, that's right, not non-canon, or secondary canon, but continuity canon.

That was from the Attack of the Clones Incredible Cross Sections, and therefor it is canon. Besides, Star Trek "super" yields are no more than mid range gigatons.

Mhm, you confess to admitting EU (canon) would tear Star Trek a new asshole big time, and try everything in your power to exclude it. NO wonder you're such a fanboy.

12. ricrery Banned Banned

Fixed it, and the Imperium of Man can't compete with EU (canon

) Galactic Empire for shit. While they far exceed them in one on one ship combat, they lose to industrial and technological advances. What chance does Star Trek have?

13. ricrery Banned Banned

This loses to Star Wars, so does that mean it loses to Star Trek?

And PoW, how many times do I have to tell you Xeelee and Daleks and Time Lords are more than a match for Irkens?

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

LOL is all I can say to that last statement

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes, EU WOULD tear Trek a new asshole. It ALSO does it to EVERY law of PHYSICS, not to mention every GRAIN of common sense a person has. If we honestly go by your power calculations, that means that a TIE FIGHTER should have the firepower to vaporize a small planet! THINK ABOUT IT!

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You can tell him as many times as you please - you saying it doesnt' make it right.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

If you care to educate yourself:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWhi2.html

Read it... when mistakes are made, he adds them as footnotes to the page and corrects the mistakes. If you see mistakes, e-mail him and let him know. However, time and again, his math has proven correct and has held up, even in the face of people like TW Scott and Curtis Saxton who like to rant, scream, and cry that it isn't, yet cannot point out a SINGLE flaw in it.

For Example: Read this:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWokona.html

or this:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWICS.html

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

In certain cases, though, we did see them fire. Take, for instance, Boba's several shots against Obi-Wan on the Kamino platform. In the canon novelization, we're told that these shots drained the energy packs of the weapon.

As you can see, there are impressive pyrotechnics, and Obi-Wan flew about three meters backwards (intentionally, according to the novel, though I doubt the harsh landing we see was perfectly intentional). This would be roughly consistent with a few kilograms of TNT, or around a dozen or two modern hand grenades (at .25kg TNT each). And yet, "... Slave I's cannon went silent, the energy pack depleted for the moment."

The discrepancy rests with the firepower figures given for that weapon in the ICS . . . 600 gigajoules, or 143 tons of TNT, per shot. In other words, Saxton claims that the numerous shots shown above depleted the energy packs of a weapon which is usually capable of firing much more powerful shots. Let's say, just for argument's sake, that the platform explosions were equivalent to 25 kilograms of TNT, and that it was one shot from the guns instead of several. That would mean that the energy packs were depleted by a shot over 5,700 times less powerful than a standard shot.

For a comparison, let's look at one of the nuclear tests conducted by the United States. In December of 1964, during the "Sulky" test, a small nuclear weapon of 0.092 kilotons yield (about 385 gigajoules) was placed 27.1 meters underground. When detonated beneath the granite, it managed to produce sufficient fracture damage at the surface to create a rare retarc, 24 meters wide. With a detonation closer to the surface, this would've been a 24 meter crater, given the "chimney" effect of underground detonations.

Note how, in the platform pictures above, there is no 24 meter blast area, nor anything close to it, even from all of the shots put together. Obi-Wan, standing right next to the explosions, was barely moved by comparison.

This one example shows how amazingly WRONG Curtis Saxton can be,,,

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Lucas FINAL WORD on Canon:

"TVGuide: Yet novelists have written "Star Wars" sequels using the same characters and extending their stories.

George Lucas: Oh, sure. They're done outside my little universe. "Star Wars" has had a lot of different lives that have been worked on by a lot of different people. It works without me."

- George Lucas, Flannelled One, November 2001 - TV Guide interview

“There are two worlds here,” explained Lucas. “There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe – the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe.”"

- George Lucas, Flannelled One, July 2002 - as reported on the Cinescape site, from Cinescape Magazine

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

So, yeah, Ricery... I fully expect you to ignore this evidence, to even try to say it's false, fake, wrong, or otherwise inadmissible... and in doing so you would simply prove how juvenile your debating structure is. It will mature in time and with age (I hope) but for now, you are not ready to debate something of this nature... it's a simple human shortcoming.

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

As for your 400 gigawatts:

23. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

I hate to mention it but Michio Kaku also said the Borg is a type 3. Its also funny how the movies contradict with the novelization saying it depleted its energy packs, while in the dogfight they clearly fired a lot more shots then that. Anyways, they might of used low power for anti-personnel purposes, because the Kaminoans won't like their landing pad get blown to pieces ( or Obi-Wan, because the Jedi Council is their top customer ), Jango obviously didn't make the fight noticeable since the Kaminoans ignored it completely as if it never happened ( or they gone suddenly blind and deaf ). Jango obviously doesn't want clone troopers to come in and get involved in the fight. Its funny how the fireballs are bigger in the dogfight ( perhaps the ground also absorbed some of the energy? ). Its amazing how Jango's little bombs are slightly larger than hand-grenades and they are never used ever again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.