Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spocklore82 Registered Member

Won't we have to assume the higher end? Lovok's computer analysis includes the five hour figure for destruction of the mantle which would first entail the vaporization of the crust. Either way, thanks for the well thought out post.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

We are assuming, for the debate, that the "god like" entities are being left out for the sake of argument. Otherwise, yeah, the Q Continuum would laugh at the Star Wars universe and *pompf* they would never have "climbed from the primordial ooze" as it were.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. drkulekul Registered Member

I must say that star wars has better movies, but star trek is a series so thats the thing but i say that star trek is better they have better space battles so i go for star trek

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

So has the Star Wars side got over that 'no shield frequency' thing? There's a guy who swears by everything on the stardestroyer dot net site, where it states that Star Trek shields oscillate. If this is STILL a firmly held belief by the Star Wars side, I have some bad news for them.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The shields in Star Trek do have a frequency, modulation, and nutation. It's why the Duras Sisters were able to penetrate the Ent-D's shields in "Star Trek: Generations" as well as why the Borg are able to beam through shields. However, shields the way Star Wars does them (particle shields especially) would not necessarily have a frequency as they are a magneto-particle field.

Of course, this just makes it easier for Star Trek - simply cause a chain reaction via the Rapid Nadion Effect and cause the entire particle shield grid to ignite into an energetic plasma (the same way they were fearing they may ignite the atmosphere of a planet in both TOS and TNG)

9. cadas Registered Senior Member

ok im throwing this out there... R&D and tactics.... i would like to know who would adapted to the opposing force with new tactics quicker , and research new equipment to counter the opposing force. (just throwing this out there before i give my opinion)

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well... that depends on a number of things.

Going strictly by what we see on screen, Trek has a huge advantage here - the Federation ships, for example, are so un-specialized that almost every ship is capable of analyzing and understanding alien technology quickly and readily. The exceptions to this would be ships like the Defiant, Steamrunner, Norway, Sabre, and to a lesser extent the Prometheus, Nova, Sovereign, and Akira classes, as they are meant more for direct combat.

Adding the books into the mix (and throwing canon levels out the window), Star Wars adapts to things seemingly on a whim (plot devices).

11. Upstate8987 Registered Member

I never found the appeal to star trek. And still don't to be honest. Star Wars, on the other hand, I love.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Star Trek isn't for everyone - Roddenberry created it to be a show with a vision and a message. Some people, when they watch TV, aren't looking for that (and God knows, I have days where I watch TV and watch something simple just to "Veg Out" as it were). That's where things like Star Wars and even Earth Final Conflict come in - they are fast paced, aggressive, action-packed space operas. Star Trek is more of a multi-faceted novel.

13. amyastor Registered Member

Before my time, I'm a SG-1 fan all the way

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

SG-1 was awesome, I also happened to really enjoy Atlantis and SGU, short as it lasted. Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda is another good one if you like Stargate

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Giant Lego X-Wing

So, um ... right.

You wouldn't believe .... The thing weighs 45,000 lobs. Really.
    (Photo: Andy Dallos)

I mean, a gigantic Lego X-Wing is one thing. Twenty-two and a half tons; forty-three feet long; over five million Lego bricks.

So ... which Enterprise? In truth, I would rather see a gigantic Reliant.

Says me. But, yeah. A giant Lego X-Wing. Pretty damn cool.

Notes:

The Maddow Blog. "X-Wing marks the spot". May 30, 2013. MaddowBlog.MSNBC.com. May 30, 2013. http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/05/30/18601687-x-wing-marks-the-spot

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I saw that... my first thought is, now we need a life-sized lego Enterprise XD

17. kwhilborn Banned Banned

The new Star Trek Movie was pretty amazing..

18. NeedleOfInquiry Registered Member

Despite the poll, Star Trek is the obvious winner.

19. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I would have voted Star Trek, but I figured Stargates instant access to planets and other parts of the Universe would soon give them an edge over everyone and advane their technology quickly. A battle between the USS Enterprise and Atlantis would see Atlantis win... The creators of Atlantis were so advanced they were one step below ascending into gods so their technology was perfection.

If I were only Choosing Star Wars vs Star Trek though then Star Trek would win.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I dunno mate... while Atlantis was pretty kick-ass... it only had a single partial ZPM to power it... I think the Enterprise-E would be able to easily avoid or destroy any incoming Drone ordinance and simply whittle down Atlantis until it ran out of power. That's just my thought though

21. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Yes. ZPM's were a problem, but their technology was Soooo much more advanced. Even their replicator project took on a life of its own after they ascended and basically wiped out all the Greys (Thor and such).

I don't know if those drones are so easily avoided. A species cannot get any more advanced than ascending into gods, and Star Trek cannot even cure male pattern baldness.

My favorite Star Trek Series was Voyager though, so what do I know.

22. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

Thanks for replying so quickly.
    The other day, I got bored and took a look into exactly what 'frequency' is in reference to.

In physics a wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space and matter, accompanied by a transfer of energy. There are two main types of waves.. The second main type of wave, electromagnetic waves consist of periodic oscillations of electrical and magnetic fields generated by charged particles.
    Quantum mechanics provides a mathematical description of much of the dual particle-like and wave-like behavior and interactions of energy and matter. The behavior of particles in quantum mechanics is described by waves.

The word "electricity" refers generally to the movement of electrons (or other charge carriers) through a conductor in the presence of potential and an electric field. In everyday electronics, the signals or energy travel quickly, as electromagnetic waves, while the electrons themselves move slowly.

Didnt take very long to find this, but I spent like a day and a half covering my ass on the research.

In quantum mechanics, energy is defined in terms of the energy operator, acting on the wavefunction of the system.
    A wave function is a probability amplitude in quantum mechanics describing the quantum state of a particle and how it behaves. Wave–particle duality postulates that all particles exhibit both wave and particle properties. A central concept of quantum mechanics, this duality addresses the inability of classical concepts like "particle" and "wave" to fully describe the behavior of quantum-scale objects.

It just got more and more interesting. I just kept stumbling onto more and more information that made sense.

The Planck constant is a physical constant that is the quantum of action in quantum mechanics.
    In physics, action is an attribute of the dynamics of a physical system. Action has the dimensions of [energy]•[time], and its SI unit is joule•second.

And out of curiosity, I looked briefly at Kinetic energy, and again...

"Just as gas molecules, photons, and electrons have kinetic energies, a free moving particle also has a kinetic energy, Ek, which can be expressed in wavelengths λ (using de Broglie's wavelength-momentum equation) of matter waves (Ψn)."

It was either once mentioned, or I read it somewhere, but I recall it being stated that everything pretty much has waves and wavefunction, and you'll pretty much find a frequency somewhere. For the record, SW hardly has mention of true quantum science, not that I looked very hard to find it. The interesting thing about this is, if you don't modulate a frequency, then you're using the standard for whatever energy source is in use, the same as every other ship with a similar energy schematic, so u figure out a shield frequency on one star destroyer, it probably works for all of them. And the worst part about it - SW would have no clue what was going on. It would be the most significant hit to the Empire's confidence and morale to have his super-fortresses shields exploited in a manner beyond their comprehension.

BTW, I posted something similar at a different forum and they locked the thread a few posts later (less than 24hrs). Can anyone say 'conspiracy'? lol

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  23. LoRaan Registered Senior Member

Well, Stardestroyer.net is correct in the Shields department at the very least. Star Trek canon in both shows and movies fully support that Star Trek has shields that oscillate at a frequency. Remember frequency is defined as the periods the effect is active and inactive. It is mentioned too many times for it to be waved off as bad writing. Also we have seen what happens when weapons are adjusted to the proper frequency. Star Wars shields in all of movie, series, and books are either active or inactive. They do not have a frequency like Star Trek shields do. If they are up the only way to pierce them is knock them down through brute force or shut them off on the inside. Even Ion Cannons must knock down the Shields, though they perform that task much easier than the Turbolasers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.