Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

Ok, for one that is Newtonian physics which does not properly describe particle physics which is how the graviton and anti-graviton would need to be described to be correctly modeled. Really we have just been able to scratch the surface of this stuff. (this about you arguing that the graviton is not real, also your equation just shows that it would be weird if antigravity was real. Maybe dark energy is anti-gravity produced by weird anti-mass anti-matter no one knows.)

You cannot play the "na-uh cuz" game when at this point most of that is the "what if" game at best. However, lets hope that the LHC clears up some of this.

This is SCIFY not SCIENCE.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

dark energy is related to negative pressure, which is a whole slew of complex math but is not actual antigravity.

There is no such thing as an antigraviton.

Look, an atom is made up of neutrons, positively charged protons, and negatively charged electrons. Antimatter is literally the opposite, anti neutrons, negatively charged protons (more commonly known as anti protons), and positively charged electrons (more commonly known as anti electrons or positrons. That is all antimatter is, atoms with protons and electrons that have opposite charges and neutrons who have opposite baryonic numbers.

Gravitons don't have an "anti particle", there is no such thing as an anti graviton.

I would disagree about "scratching the surface", scratching the surface is what Newton did. This stuff is way way way into the deeper parts of physics. We have gone far beneath the surface to a point where we are nearing that our ability to observe events at that scale are approaching impossibility.

Newtonian physics describes it accurately since we have not even come close to the complications that would arise to necessitate general relativity let alone quantum gravity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

You know what, I'm going to stop arguing about this because I am not a particle physicist and therefore I cannot argue it intelligently enough to win it in any kind of meaningful way.

Seriously, it's scifi and it doesn't need to work IRL.

The shield uses gravitons to reflect energy and the Death Star can blow up planets, deal with it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

Are you really gonna pick this over? Come on man. You decide to argue about this and leave the transporter and warp drive alone?

8. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

nah, I'll leave those to you guys.

9. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

lol :d

10. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

My favorite part is how the transporter first has to destroy you, then make a copy of you. You are not the copy, the copy is going to be made of other atoms that you are not made of. Essentially, you die and your clone continues on.

11. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

we come in peace and shoot to kill.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I'm guessing he figured out that nobody was buying his bullshit...

So... uhm... where did the actual debate leave off at? Is there anything we haven't covered well?

13. George1 Registered Senior Member

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well we proved that SW shields can't block phasers.

Oh and if a photon torpedo of 20 isotons can destroy a large city that would mean that its explosive yield probably translates to around 50 megatons to 100+ megatons. Not bad.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Indeed, and it is even MORE damning against SD.net...

He completely and UTTERLY FAILS to take into account the fact that

A) Those two images are at VERY different distances from the asteroid
    B) Those two images are at VERY different LOCATIONS on the asteroid
    C) Where he is measuring the opening of the asteroid, he isn't doing a true vertical measurement - after all, we don't have a straight-on view of the opening, but rather a corner shot, also known as a 3-point or "3D" view in drafting IIRC, distorts from our perspective where the top and bottom of the cavern are when utilizing a horizontal line to take a measurement (think of it like looking at a picture of a house shown from a corner).

16. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Damn 1140 pages. Hey guys l t n s. So how's it been ? anything new ? I have about 400 pages to catch up lol. Oh and for the guys that don't know me. StarWars rulez !!!!!!!
    Now Kittamaru and fedr wil shout " blasfemy " loooooooooooooooooooooool

17. George1 Registered Senior Member

nothing new. just trekkies who think they won already.

18. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Newtonian physics......God......have we went back in time before the enlightenments!

19. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

There's one Universe though that can kick ST, SW Stargate and Farscape combined. lol

20. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

lol since page one lol

21. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Antigraviton = graviton ASSUMING gravitons are real, I for one does not support quantum gravity, read through it, studied it, looked it over, picked at it, nada, I don't believe it.

Doesn't have to have neutron, such as Hydrogen and Alpha particle ( helium ). Antimatter also sometimes have antineutrons, they are similar, same propeties have equal magnitude but opposite sign.

ACTUALLY......

Antimatter = matter going back in time. Feynman's equation.

Yes it does, it do have an anti-particle: itself.

No, we are scratching the surface, Believe is right. We get more questions from our answers, the problems are compounding.....until that stops, we are scratching the surface.

Newtonian physics are not accurate enough.

Dude, we gone over most of this before buddy......

22. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

naw, Im just here for the heck of it, and to watch george1 flip a sh*t everytime someone proves him wrong.

23. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I disagree. There is only so far we can get into physics, only so small... The universe and physics does not have to be infinite, it just has to be big.

Just big enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.