Star Wars: The Old republic

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Socratic Spelunker, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Socratic Spelunker Registered Senior Member

Anyone know anything about this game? All the info online seems pretty basic, but I wanna know how the gameplay is, if the classes are balanced, if the missions are actually fun, etc.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

it hasn't come out yet has it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Socratic Spelunker Registered Senior Member

It came out on the 20th, i believe, but I just went and saw it in Best Buy today. So it is out.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I went to EB Games just yesterday, it was sold out lol

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I house-sat for a friend of mine last week, and got to play it for a night..just to give it a try. I'll tell you what I know. There are 8 starting classes, 4 for Jedi and 4 for Sith. In those four you have 2 force-using classes and 2 non-force classes. For the Sith you have Sith Warrior (Vader) Sith Inquisitor (Emperor) Imperial Agent (spy/sniper) and Bounty Hunter (Boba Fett). On the Jedi, you have Jedi Knight (Luke) Jedi Conciliar (Obi Won) Smuggler (Hans) and Trooper.

Once you reach level 10, you get to choose a secondary class to further refine your character. For instance, with Sith Warrior, you get to choose between Marauder (dual wielding melee DPS) and Juggernaut (Heavy armor tank).

I never got to play in any groups, but from what I can tell, most of the main MMO archetypes are present. You have a tank, melee dps, ranged dps, magic users, healers, crowd control, and "special".

From what I saw, seemed like a really cool game.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

basteds, EB here have it as "TBC 2012"

Well that tears it, if those basteds only think the world is North America and SOME parts of Europe and in Australia we have to wait till MARCH to play it they can suck my balls and not my money.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

The delay is usually with the Australian rating agency - you know, we need to pay some bureaucrats over a hundred thousand a year so they can sit down and play the game for a few months and then tell us which games we cattle can play... and which we can not play. Talk about Nanny State, it's f*cking pathetic.

You know, wouldn't want the cattle to get used to making decisions for themselves.

Sometimes it's with the launch campaign. They only have so much money and they need to spend it in the biggest markets first so they can make enough money to then launch in smaller markets. If not they make less money overall and we get less games. The biggest problem with the gaming industry is they don't make 10 games a year (like a studio) hedging against 9 flops. They make 1 game. All the eggs are in that one basket and if it fails it can mean the studio is done for and other great games will never see the light of day.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Your wrong michael, ea has put something like 20 games on the market this year, sure blizard is slower but they alwaya make a grade games which hold there value (starcraft 1 box set is STILL 50 over 10 years latter)

12. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

LOL SC1 box set is worth $22 last year when I bought SC2, so...yeah its probably like $12 now, especially with SC2 being so widespread.

There are AT LEAST 20 games by EA, there are like over 10 EA Sports games (NHL, Madden, NCAA, FIFA, and then tennis, golf and whatever games)

13. Arioch Valued Senior Member

That's when they actually play the game. I don't know how things work in Australia, but the people who rate games for the ESRB here in the US don't even play the game that they're rating.

14. JackMcS Registered Member

I love star wars and LOVE the old republic. Best game Ive played in a long long time. I normally raid with my friends and while waiting for buffs and what not I will read in between fights. I got into this new medium of fiction called emotobooks. They have a sci-fi title that is just awesome. It's called "Swing Zone" and it's really interesting. Love It thus far.

15. WangLP Registered Member

Thank you for your sharing.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Also: It's going Free to Play soon!

17. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

I am a long term WOW player - high end guild raider for quite a while. Boredom started last year and I switched to SWTOR when it launched in Nov 2011. But I've just canceled my SWTOR subscription and will return to WOW for their patch 5 update next Tuesday to get ready for their major launch of the Mists Of Pandaria on Sep 25th 2012. Should be fun for another year at least.

I have other activities in my life and really couldn't see how I could give enough time and do justice to two major MMORPG games.

SWTOR is excellent but would be better as a single player game. Each character has a unique storyline that takes you up to level 50 - the current cap. So for example I started as a Jedi padawan and ended up on the Jedi council as the final promotion. The problem then I see is where could a storyline go from there in additional releases. The stories are a great feature and they have put a great deal of effort into them but it is difficult to see how they could maintain that standard.

The graphics and special effects are excellent. Most of the music in WOW was superb, unfortunately for SWTOR their music is a disaster - not a big deal I guess, but disappointing and an irritation.

As described above there are 4 classes for each of the two major factions - the Republic and the Empire. Essentially the 4 classes are mirrors of the other faction but their spells and graphics are quite different - quite clever. However, each class can make a major specialization choice at level 10 which effectively creates 8 classes. And then there are 3 talent trees within each specialization. For example a Jedi Consular can choose either Shadow or Sage. The shadow is more like a Rogue in WOW, with melee and stealth abilities, whereas the Sage is a ranged caster more like a WOW Mage.

Questing is fun with but interactions with NPCs initiates a cinematic each time - this is quite different from WOW. During these interactions you are usually asked to make choices which often result in modified or quite different quest lines. You can also make lightside or darkside choices which have further implications for your character.

Companions are a big part of the game. You begin as a solo player but soon gain your first companion in the early levels. As you level you gain up to 5 companions in total. You only have 1 of them active with you at anytime but your choices can have a major impact on how you play. For example you will have a healer companion, a tank companion, a ranged DPS, and a Melee DPs, etc. So if you want to play a tanking role then a healer companion would be ideal, or perhaps you choose to heal then a tank companion would be best, but there are numerous combinations and you would likely make different choices depending on the battles and bosses you need to fight. All your companions need gear so unlike WOW where you only gear yourself, in SWTOR you need appropriate gear for your companions as well - that aspect does become quite confusing and complex.

In addition to regular questing, dungeons, and raids there is an additional major feature - space battles. At around level 15-18 you obtain your personal star-ship which you use to move around the galaxy to different questing zones, but you can also choose space battle quests where your ship is your major weapon and you fly it during space battle events. These are entirely optional. You can gear up your ship if you choose. There is no equivalent in WOW.

Professions are quite different to WOW. You can choose 3 professions, 1) Crafting, 2) Gathering, 3) Missions. Your companions do the crafting with simple items taking several minutes to make to several hours for high end items. You can assign all 5 companions to crafting and queue up to 5 items each. Gathering is simply locating mining or herb nodes etc. Missions require you to send a companion on a quest to obtain some items not available through gathering. Most of the items you craft are useful while you level, unlike WOW. Unfortunately at the high end some materials only drop during dungeons or raids which seriously impedes any solo production of high end gear - pity.

Overall reaction - storylines were fun, fights and battles and the need to think about your tactics and choice of companions were excellent. Finding other players to run dungeons and raids was a nightmare although a group finder mechanism has just been introduced that I didn't use before choosing to cancel. The game also felt quiet and lonely. There were too many servers lightly populated so you rarely met other players, and the whole feel was silent and empty. Unlike WOW where a visit to a city was crowded with a lot of hustle and bustle.

The game had some 1.7 million subscriptions early on but latest news indicates some 400,000 have cancelled, and probably more as the novelty wears off. SWTOR will likely survive but they will most likely make some serious changes to gain new players. The latest I heard was they planned to make the game optionally free but with the ability to purchase gear etc. Subscriptions would still be needed to raid. The biggest issue is market saturation. If you are serious about MMORPG then it is unlikely you will have time for more than one (for high end) and there are quite a few choices around now.

Worth a look when it is free so you can assess whether it is for you. It is still fairly new and will likely evolve. But with the new WOW expansion about to release I suspect a lot of players who left WOW for SWTOR will return to WOW for a while. SWTOR made quite a few mistakes that WOW fixed long ago - WOW is still the market leader for MMORPG.

Have fun and may the force be with you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Cris

18. Balerion Banned Banned

I wish they had put their efforts into a KOTOR III single-player game, but I suppose when you take into account the Mass Effect trilogy--which is basically Bioware's attempt at its own Star Wars-esque franchise, it's easy to see why they've opted instead to take SWTOR into the MMO arena. That said, now that the main Mass Effect trilogy is complete, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them returning to KOTOR.

19. LiverOil Registered Member

Hell, I'd have been happy with them putting their effort into finishing KOTOR II properly!

--
    You have manipulated the circumstances with the skill... of a Romulan. My decision will be announced at high sun tomorrow. Excellent tea. Good day, ladies.

20. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

true but ea is like the largest company. also micheal it takes alot longer to make a game than a movie.

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Well after playing Diablo 3 I'm not sure on my assessment to be honest. On the one hand the things which need fixing in Diablo blizzard are doing, they are treating it almost like an MMORPG even though it's pay once and they are unlikely to get much more for it. Sure there is potential profit in an expansion pack but it seems more the same as they did for Diablo 2, long term support for a game that isn't actually going to make them much more money which shows a high level of ethics and dedication to there games. On the other hand it's not the best game I have ever played

22. Bells Staff Member

The patch launch wasn't that much fun. They broke HM Madness. Was the most frustrating night I have spent in a long time in that game.

As for SWTOR.

The leveling was brilliant and very attractive storyline. But then there was nothing to do. You didn't have to farm or do anything at all. It was boring. I mean you didn't even have to farm for mats for raiding. You had NPC's that did it for you. While farming for mats is boring in and of itself, it is a way to interact with the game and gave you something to do.

There is a reason why it has gone free to play. Because people left it in droves and the content patch they added after many many weeks of delaying it was not enough to drag people back.

GW2 is looking interesting however. After this week, I may have a look into it.

They killed D3 when they implemented the changes to supposedly improve it from D2:

1) Real money AH.
    2) Forcing people to use Real ID to play it.
    3) Forcing people to play it online (D2 you could play online) and thus, have to endure maintenance every Tuesday night (prime time in Australia).
    4) When they tried to force it to becoming a social game.
    5) Scaling the bosses and the god damn trash so that it forced people to have to play with others to get it down.

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

is diablo 3 as strong as d2 but that still doesn't change the fact it is still a solid game and a lot better than a lot of the trash out there.