Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by USS Athens, Aug 29, 2007.

?

Which is better?

1. Star Trek

45 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Star Wars

48 vote(s)
    51.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Himself he writes all the scripts himself and creates all the characters but the art teams create how they look.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Why? Though I must say the new Star Trek movie that is to come out in 2008 is really going to suck! Their going to replace Shatner with Damon!?!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Yeah.

(How often do you change the text next to your name?)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

again Belgium rules

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

thx to our dear friends from fanwars. 501's Belgium garrison Soutern terretory

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  8. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Darth Vader is what starwars is all about, he is created by lucas himself in his original storyline. all six movies from (allmost) birth to death (or something like it)

9. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Will it not allways

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Don't get me wrong i like ST allso but SW is just top of the bill.

10. Saquist Banned Banned

and yet they contradict the movies and the movies contradict each other and the books contradict the movies...But yeah the books do a job at not contradicting other books...but whats the point after everything else is contradicting themselves.

11. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Would SWs be the same if Star trek never existed?

12. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Off course just as ST would be the same if starwars didn't exist.
    They are completely different from eachother. the only thing similar is that it's in space.

13. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I completely disagree. There's competition in the camps of the creators. SW would not be as good as it is if ST did not exist to raise the bar on space sci-fi. Also, I think DS9 might have been a little different if the Wars movies were never created...everyone likes a big space battle - Dominion War - and there were no real wars during the TNG airing.

Also they're not all that "completely different", they are just dissimilar. They both have FTL, viable spacefaring vessels, directed energy weapons, AI capability, alliances than span multiple planets, both use a pseudo-military tack (Starfleet/Jedi)...even if the Jedi are a flatter organization.

Further, Trek and Wars are both definitive...other space scifi borrow elements from each (hyperspace, transporters, AI and robots etc). Even though classic scifi already had these, ST and SW both really brought these ideas to life.

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Only in as much as they brought SF to the attention general public.
    There is nothing in either that wasn't already firmly established in "classic" SF.

15. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I don't think intelligent machines were really brought to the fore until ST and SW...simply because classic scifi creators wouldn't have viewed mobile machines as capable of thought...I'm struggling to remember androids (or other AI) much older than Trek or Wars...Then again my age still starts with a 2, so I may be lacking in some familiarity :shrug:

16. draqon Banned Banned

often, as my mood changes.

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Asimov's robot stories, Karel Capek's book, Ralph124c41 and numerous (or innumerable) others.
    Film: Metropolis for crying out loud (pre WWII)!

18. Qui-Gon Jinn the hippy with a lightsaber Registered Senior Member

i have a ? what sources of canon are aloud in this debate?

19. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

For Star wars they said no novels but that still leaves comics, movies, cartoons, and games.

20. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Well, what I ment is that you can only choose novels of one timeline, basically, since SW has so little screen time, and nothing else.

21. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

SWs follows one basic plot throughout its series, that there is good and evil and that the evil must be desroyed. ST has made all sorts of movies and even different series about it, even after Rodenberry died!

In my opinon, if SW was ever a TV series, it probably wouldn't do so well, I can't think of any good plot for it. Star trek has made a phenominal series, but the movies are good too, some of them aren't the best movies I've ever seen but they are still good. I do believe that the SW movies have a lot more cinematic value than the recent ST movies. Didn't the very first SW movie win an Oscar?

22. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Stories for 400 episodes for the live action TV show are already being created.

23. Nasor Valued Senior Member

This is tricky, because ST is full of “one episode wonder” races/beings that sometimes seem to have near god-like powers for about 40 minutes, then disappear and are never mentioned again. Who knows what sort of combat abilities they would actually have?

Or are we supposed to only consider the “well known” races (Federation, Romulans, Borg, Jem Hadar, etc.)?

Edit: Part of the problem is that in ST, the humans are just starting to explore a big, scary galaxy and they have basically no idea what's out there. There are also plenty of other races that have been around waaaaay longer than they have, who have much more advanced technology. SW, on the other hand, is set in a "mature" galaxy that is fully-explored, where pretty much everyone has the same (incredibly high) level of technology.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.