Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by USS Athens, Aug 29, 2007.

?

Which is better?

1. Star Trek

45 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Star Wars

48 vote(s)
    51.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nasor Valued Senior Member

What do you mean by "exploited" children? Are you concerned for the welfare of the fictional characters? Of course the children were killed to make the badguys look bad. How is that a problem? Is there a way to show the audience that people are bad other than having them do bad things? It also did serve a significant plot purpose, as it was Anakin's moral event horizon that sent him firmly into evil territory.
    What specifically makes it a "dumbass plot" for you? He was a slave on a planet run by gangsters. Do you expect his life to be rosy and safe?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

I can handle movies with kidnapping, that ain't too bad, especially if the kids are treated decently by their captives. I just don't like movies where they get into details about mishandling of kids when its not necessary. And, I find it particularly strange that a movie with content that appeals to children also has content like blowing up planets, chopping people's arms off, and stuff I'd normally not care to have a child watching.

And the pod racer - that was an extremely dangerous race, regardless of the abilities. It was written to show a child overcome extremely dangerous situations, both from the race itself, and from the other racers who would just as soon splatter him across the terrain than lose a race to him. That's over-the-top extreme like most SW stuff. I don't feel it was necessary to write a child character being subjected to that sort of situation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Shrug

Personally it didn't bother me, but I guess you're more sensitive about seeing kids in danger. Anyway, it's fine that you didn't enjoy it, but it seems very strange to me that you would dislike SW for the reasons given but still enjoy Startrek. ST has featured far more planet-destroying stories than SW. Also, in TNG they actually had children running around the Enterprise, which seems like something no sane parent would ever go for! How many times were they all nearly killed???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

Do you need to be taught that with more episodes, there's more likely one or more with planet killers? And the purpose for destroying one? To demonstrate that they can, and for intimidation? Whatever. I seen SW and ESB so many times and I loved those movies. ROTJ came out when I started wanting SW to remain 'serious' after noticing small attempts at humor that to me seemed corny and should have been left on the editing room floor.

Granted, there are parts that are TOTALLY meant to be funny and ARE. Seeing R2 get swallowed in the swamp and then spat out - that's STILL hillarious. 3PO turning to the camera and saying 'How typical' was classic and the timing was perfect, it WORKED. I just wish I could say that about all the attempts at humor, or just have far fewer of them.

But speaking of things that didn't work for me... what movie is it that Anakin and Obi Wan drove a crippled ship into the atmosphere, and had little fire ships shooting water at them? Did it seem strange that the water wasn't scattered much? I think that at the speed they were traveling, any water that could shoot directly through that kind of wind resistance would have punched holes in whatever they aimed it at.

yeah I was a prett hard core SW fan who collected ships and models, and I totally just got disgusted by the series. Wasn't even like I found Trek more appealing, I just got sick of the goofy BS in Wars.

8. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

I have to agree completely, the borg vs federation only plays out the way it does because the federation needs to survive for the ST story. Otherwise the Borg would have little or no trouble with them. Not until Janeway got Seven of Nine - that's when they started to gain enough knowledge to put up a halfway decent fight.

9. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah, Species 116... I'd put their Dauntlass up against the ISDs

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

and lets not forget the guys from this planet...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Star Trek has too many connections. Over the so many years of showing them actually interact with species that we can call into play against the SW verse... Pretty sure the number of species detail for trek overpowers the SW verse easily enough.

10. icarus2 Registered Senior Member

star terk!

11. icarus2 Registered Senior Member

fighting Star trek!!!

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Are you kidding? Try looking through the Expanded Universe of Star Wars and you'll see more distinct species in SW then there are in Star Trek. Hell by biologic standarss technicall quite a few races of Star trek are actually sub species as they can interbreed. In the grand scheme of animal classification any Human, Klingons, Vulcan, Bata Zed, Andorans, Romulans, Orions, Cardassians, Bajorians, Ocampa, and many other races would be technically the same species. Now I admit they are distinct cultures, but even then Star Wars has them far outstripped.

Now again for those of us who think we are trying to claim one is a better story than the other, we aren't. Both are great and they are the tops of the sci-fi food chain along with Farscape, Babylon 5, and Firefly. However in a purely war situation, both side fighting as they normally fight and using the tech and abilities that are normally afforded them, Star Wars wins hands down. In this case STar Trek is out teched, out gunned, out shielded, and out numbered. It would be like if 300 persions tried to hold back a million spartans. Or a company of T-80's tried to hold back the 5th mecanhized infantry Division.

13. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

I want some of what he's smoking! ^^

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

scott, you claim your star destroyers can produce energy in the terawatts, which of course there is no on screen proof of that possible, especially considering their pathetic propulsion plant (a fusion reactor)

The warp core on a galaxy class produces around 12.75 billion gigawatts, or 12.75 exowatts of power.

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

You do realize a company of T-80s could beat the crap out of a mechanized infantry right?

Mchanized merely means they have a few trucks to transport them around in.

Maybe an apc, a company of T-80s could beat the crud out of them.

16. henriquefd Registered Member

I think George Lucas totally messed up Eps I, II and III. The final battle with Anakin is ridiculous. He has all those powers and loses battle because his opponent is in higher ground. Lame, lame, lame. Horrible acting as well. I would vote for SW if episodes I, II and III never existed or at least if they were done properly. Man, I really hated those 3 episodes. Someone should invent a word we could use to express how bad that was.

True, Star Trek has those horrible colorful pajamas. Sometimes I dont know if I am watching Star Trek or Tele Tubbies. I would actually vote for both if it was possible, but I will stick with Star Trek. =)

BTW, Star Trek would always win, regardless of who has the better technology. Just watch Star Trek Next Generation and you will see that 99,99% of the time, Piccard's in a situation where the opposite side is superior. And he still wins! So, I am sorry. Trek wins. =P

17. Forceman May the force be with you Registered Senior Member

Star Wars has the Force; Star Trek doesn't. To merge the two universes, the Force would have to be present in the resulting Wars/Trek-verse. Because of the presence of the Force in Star Wars, dumb arse decisions, such as Master Windu not killing Palpatine are present, leading to a mass slaughtering of hundreds of Jedi across the galaxy. Whilst in Star Trek, only reasoning and scientific logic are factors leading to real battles of number, superiority, and wit. My point is, if the New Republic fleet were to face off with the Borgs, e.g., and the will of the Force would be for the Borgs to die, they would die. Another thing to consider is that Star Wars is set hundreds of years after Star Trek would be taking place. Star-destroying technology, I think, is superior to positronic engines and radio shack teleportation technology. The sith could just create a storm of lightning or, even better, create an illusion of a massive oober fleet to ward of these pointed-ear freaks!

18. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I think you are forgeting that the Rebels were up against the odds and they won. Remember 1 squadron against a battlestation the size of a moon.

19. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Um, no. Star Wars takes place In A Long Time Ago A Galaxy Far Far Away. Implying it took place long before present day. However Star Trek takes place in our future.

20. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Correct. Star Wars is set in ~7 billion years BC according to their timeline. The battle of Yavin is only ~7 billion years after the Big Bang and Today is ~14 billion years after the Big Bang.

Also as a note a species alive during the Clone Wars is the same species used in ET. ET also claims to be 300million light years away for his home and oddly enough that does correlate with a spiral arm galaxy that is roughly the size of the SW galaxy.

21. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

True Mechanized infantry has trucks, APC's, artillery support, air calvary, IFV's,and even Main Battle Tanks. In reality if a compnay (164) T-80 faced something like the 5th Mechanized Infantry Division. The 5th would win with moderate casualties. The T-80's main strength is infiltration and assassination not stand up warfare. Now mix T-80s with HKs and Ogre tanks and now we're talking.

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually we do have proof. Regular Turbolaser are roughly 70% as powerful as Heavy Turbolaser canons. Which means they produce roughly 5,835,200,000,000,000,000,000 watts (5.8352 zettawats or 5,835.3 exawats) every 3 seconds from each cannon. Now an ISD has 60 cannons bringing Turbolaser firepower output to 350.112 zettawats every 3 seconds. Just to recharge these weapons the ship would need and output of 116.704 zettawats a second. Thats not encluding shields, propulsion, or lifesupport.

As for the reacor type. It is described by a layman as like a miniature sun in ANH. This could mean a ball of fusion or it ability to generate vast amounts of power. Also that fusion just means joining, it doesn;t have to hydrogen. In fact and M/AM reactor is a Fusion reactor as well becuase it fuses Matter and Antimatter together.

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually if that were 100% true then the Borg would be completely un interested in the Federation to Assimilate. The Federation must have something the Borg do not for the borg to be interested. Remeber the comment about the Kazon, that they would detract form the Perfection sought by the Collective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.