Star Trek, Star Wars and the CGU versus Orion's Arm...

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by MJ12 Commando, Dec 9, 2005.

1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

And again the peanut gallery speaks. It is wonderful that the dross that comes from his computer is unable to tarnish this lovely topic for me.

Alright lets analyze the Star Wars versus Orion's Arm. I will admit the OA has a advantage in Artificial intelligence. However Star Wars has Center Point station. An incredibly powerful device that moved the Corellian worlds at least interstellar distances if not intergalactic, Leaving the planets and their population intact. I would call it a draw as neither would see any advantage to war.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
    Sei likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

In the case of CGU v.s OA...well, OA would win if the CGU actually invaded...the thing is, the CGU has the option of simply obliterating whatever the hell is the central-commanding starsystem for OA, with the GSS Maximilian or the GSS Eta Rycon at transgalactic ranges.
    But, chances are, the CGU, with its 19th century-style idealism, will invade...and probably get whacked by nanite shit.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
    Sei likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MJ12 Commando The Last Cyborg Spamurai Registered Senior Member

Centerpoint's feats are similar to what Dark Angels can do, on a larger scale. Quite possibly, if the other side figures out SW FTL (and they will, since SW doesn't react quickly enough in combat to do much when the other guy can rip all the important bits of your ship out)... they can hit you back before you can localize and target someone. Speed of reaction is extremely important, and OA has that in spades.

Furthermore, Hapsburg, OA has no centrally commanding star-system. And besides, the average OA AI God is *SIGNIFICANTLY* tougher than a planet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Oh my i have been going the wrong angle SW has the Verpine. Sorry AI but you are now just a slave LOL

8. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

OA has the technology to recreate the instances during the first moment of the Big Bang (on a smaller scale of course...) and theoretically create matter which DOESN'T HAVE TO OBEY THE STANDARD LAWS OF PHYSICS. Then there's OA's control over Black Holes, Strange Bombs, photon viruses...SW is chunked.

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

yeah but it would have to have the Verpine Slicer's permission to do it, HAHAHA.

10. kv1at3485 Strategic Operations Registered Senior Member

Slicer's are nothing more than expert hackers. Every system maybe potentially vulnerable, but that doesn't mean that there is any guarentee that a system will be breached (or breached critically.)

11. MJ12 Commando The Last Cyborg Spamurai Registered Senior Member

BZZT. WRONG.

An OA hacker trying to hack any but the most pathetic low-grade AIs tends to have to be a hypersapient himself.

A verpine, given my googling, is a baseline--not much smarter than a basic human, anyways. (note that by 'not much smarter' they could be ten times smarter than a normal human and still fall under that category.)

Do you know what kind of security a mind which has its life depending on it, and is trillions to uncountable quintillions of times smarter than a basic human and also understands its own thought processes can make? It involves the words 'extremely good', and the phrase 'any normal hacker would look at the first layer of firewalling and drop dead in awe'.

This is more like "sorry, Verpine, but youse brain has been fried. Twice. And your own computer system has been taken over. Thanks."

Trying to hack a transapient as a baseline tends to involve the words "nasty scolding" and "forced mental reprogramming". All the time.

So the Verpine slicers will need the AI Gods to give them permission to do anything after they've been lobotomized.

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

I just love how all this stuff bends even the rules of science fiction. Fine I have the answer the Mechanoids come and destroy the OA completely in a matter of one day. Have fun trying to win against them.

Sei likes this.
  13. MJ12 Commando The Last Cyborg Spamurai Registered Senior Member

...just because you don't get that computers writing their own security... hyperintelligent computers writing their own security... are far far better than anything which SW has? I'll put it this way. A Verpine is like a master hacker.

Take the sum brain matter of the entire human race. Network it into one superbrain. Accelerate its functioning a thousand times.

That is still not one-one-thousandth of a lesser AI God's intelligence. It doesn't matter how good the Verpines are at breaching security... they haven't seen security like this. And I'm being nice and assuming they've dealt with computers on the OA scale, where you have subatomic circuitry and such. On the other hand, AI Gods are significantly more intelligent and capable of feats orders of magnitude higher than anything Verpines have done.

'bending the rules of science fiction' my ass.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

More like 'I'm going to whine because my favorite universe isn't unstoppable'.

And the Mechanoids all die to one Dark Angel. These are the RIFTS Mechanoids, right? The ones which from what I remember have about zero weapons range in space... that and only megaton-yield weapons. Maybe low gigaton. OA AI Gods far far far exceed that.

It doesn't matter in ground combat how powerful they are because the moment they try landing on an angelnetted planet, they're all going to be reprogrammed.

Final losses: A small chunk of the human race and nothing else of note.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
    Sei likes this.
  14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually more like a super tech all around both physical and software. They understand machines and can actually keep up with Binary speak needing no translator.

So you are networking several different processors of different capabilities? or is it that you vastly underestimate human intelligence. Or are you incapable of understanding how intelligent they are? maybe they are just fast thinkers, not smart ones but can run throught thousands of variable scenarios at once. Their weapons do show a lack of imagination.

You forget one thing Rifts: mechanoids only described the groundpounders. There are ships that devour entire suns for fuel. Oh, and you cannot reprogram something with Telemechanics. In fact the OA gods would become the playthings of just one Master, Oracle, Brain or Runner. Ah, so good to have psionic powers.

15. MJ12 Commando The Last Cyborg Spamurai Registered Senior Member

Color anyone with intelligence augmentation unimpressed. Homo superior can do that in OA, and they're not master hackers. If that's the best they can do, they wouldn't even be able to poke through the first layer of an AI God's security. The layers dealing with totally unimportant stuff, like waste disposal of humans.

No, I'm not vastly underestimating human intelligence. You're vastly underestimating AI God intelligence. They are, both in breadth, depth, and speed, far far far more capable than any human. They are always described as being capable of seeing answers to any problem you or I could pose in an instant. That would include hacking. That plus seeing things on a totally different and far higher level than anything capable of being dealt with by basic humans.

...it's not reprogramming more like 'as soon as you land there, your entire structure has been studied and they've ripped your mind apart and put it back together in a way that benefits them'. That plus chances are the AI Gods would learn all the countermeasures and abilities of psionics as soon as someone tries something. There are a lot of subroutines running in something of that scale. If the gods themselves can use it, prepare for the squish.

If they can't, prepare for the mass-cloned insta-psionics all loyal to them.

Sei likes this.
  16. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

No capitol, no main command? Then how does thier central government work? How do they function as an intergalactic nation or nations?

Besides, even if it's tougher than a planet doesn't necisarilly mean that it wouldn't be destroyed by the GSS Eta Rycon's or GSS Maximilian's main guns.

17. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I think if you take a look at the main OA site, that they are not one conglomeration. They are a bunch of indies chilling in the same area of the galaxy.

18. MJ12 Commando The Last Cyborg Spamurai Registered Senior Member

They don't function as an intergalactic nation... there's a lot of different powers there.

That and we're not talking about tougher than a planet, we're talking significantly tougher.

A weapon that they used against newborn AI Gods was so massively huge it would have threatened worlds more than fifty lightyears away with the extinction of most all higher lifeforms not submerged in really deep water. 2 gigajoules/square centimeter or so of energy density does that.

19. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

20. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Shouldn't that've destroyed the entire...ya know...region that OA takes place in?

21. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

No, lets see, 50 lightyears radius, 100 lightyear diameter sphere of space in OA, thats 52k cubic light years, so it destroyed MORE than just the OA universe.... OR is the OA region 3000 light years across? I wasnt sure if they said it encompasses 3000 lightyears or what. In what format is this 3000 lightyears? is it a 2 demensional measurement? Space is 3d, so maybe we should have some 3d measurements of size, plus star density.

22. MJ12 Commando The Last Cyborg Spamurai Registered Senior Member

5000 LY diameter sphere for OA.

And no.

It'd sterlize planets, but tougher ships would be unaffected, and so would AI Gods.

And a sterlized planet is still rehabitable after terraforming.

23. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member