"Star Trek Movie" ***Possible Spoilers***

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, May 8, 2009.

1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

LOL I'd just watched the movie again (Mum hadn't seen it yet and she'd followed TOS back in the day).

Anyway, yeah that's how I remembered that they simply entered near Titan so the Narada wouldn't know where the Enterprise was - if Nero broke off of Earth and smashed the Enterprise, there was no fleet to defend Earth in time. Thus it was vital that Nero had no clue where the Enterprise was.

I think I put forward a plausible explanation above, but I DO grant the point that Scotty's transport equation could have cut out all of that brouhaha. Or that Spock was travelling way slowly after he stranded Kirk. There was a total lack of connection with distances there that the viewer is obviously meant to swallow.

This was TOTALLY ridiculous. I'd liked your way of encountering Nimoy Spock better. (Notice how they tried to cover it up "How the hell did you find me" according to Nimoy Spock).

PS why would that gigantic red monster be afraid of that tiny torch...I'd have thought Nimoy Spock would have McGuyvered a limited phaser or a sodium bomb (heh) or something!

If it were a Picard era Romulan Warbird that came back, TOS vessels would stand zero chance of even scratching the paint on it. The fact that it was a mining vessel that was upgraded, without directed energy weapons (and seemingly no shields...someone help me here, even though I saw the movie twice, I don't remember for sure...was the Narada even using shields?) gave the TOS folks a fighting chance against the heavy armor and overpowered missiles.

100% agreed. Hollywood tends to take way too many shortcuts in the storytelling, even beyond what budgetary constraint tempers. The mind meld scene could have been about 30 seconds to a minute longer, to explain Nero a bit more - comme ca (imagine Nimoy Spock's voice): "Nero supported my plan to the Romulan council, and became angry when the Senate resisted", and later on: "Nero intercepted me after I ejected the red matter, with a vastly upgraded ship".

One extra line, and one line changed. Spock KNEW Nero before the point that the movie inferred. That added with one or two of Nasor's suggestions would have added much more credibility to the whole story.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Wasn't there a scene when they were concocting the plan where Chekov (or someone) said they would beam over when the Narada was "this close" (holding up his thump and forefinger to demonstrate)? If the plan was always to just hide at Titan and then beam to Earth, what was the relevance of the fact that the Narada was passing near Titan, which they seemed to make a big deal out of?
    You mean not wanting the Narada on the alert for people beaming over? The problem with that is that Nero would have no reason to suspect the Federation could do that. If he noticed the Enterprise hanging around light-hours from Earth, he would have simply said "Oh, there's some federation ship that's too afraid to come near me. Smart of it! I guess it will get to watch me destroy its planet."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Hm...the "this close" part was for the distance between the Enterprise and Titan I believe. Sigh...3 days and my memory is shot! That's why I like having the DVD for these discussions

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Narada passing near Saturn was (IMO) meant as a point of reference for the viewer. And hey, since it was passing Saturn, why not use the moon to hide?

Well, that's Nero's option. However as strategists on the Enterprise, these folks could not take the chance of themselves being blown to bits. As always the Enterprise was the Federation's best and only hope since the rest of the fleet were dicking about somewhere! (and nobody else was in orbit around EARTH! lol)

On this point, I guess we also gotta accept that the Earth defense grid was effectively useless against the Narada. I could actually accept that Vulcan didn't have an offensive protection grid, being the peacable folk they are, but we Earthers love a good gun for defense

where were those orbiting satellites with pulse phasers on em?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

But they made it sound like the "Titan maneuver" was very risky. They would have to balance the risk of the Titan maneuver, which was apparently substantial, against the risk that Nero would think that they could beam people that far, which seems tiny. It would suck if Earth's only hope ended up as scattered wreckage on Titan because someone got the math a bit wrong.

And if the premise is that Nero might be worried about people beaming onto the Narada, what about the entire planet Earth? Surely if he was going to be worried about transporters, he would be a lot more concerned by an entire planet that's probably covered with transporter facilities than a single starship sitting very far away. Hell, he KNEW he was in range of the Earth transporters.

8. superstring01 Moderator

So true.

One would think that, SHIT, since they can transport aboard the Narada, they'd also take the time to transport a photon torpedo or nuclear weapon aboard. Set a timer and say, "Adios!" Saving Pike's life wasn't worth the risk of it all. That whole maneuver was a colossal waste of time.

And what of Earth? Surely there are SOME kind of weapons platforms on the planet? What about that gigantic space station? No weapons on that thing either?

~String

9. superstring01 Moderator

I already downloaded it. An acceptable copy, especially for referencing all these points.

And there was no mention of beaming aboard the Narada as it passed Saturn, only that the Narada would pass it and that the Enterprise would hid in Titan, which makes no sense. Why Saturn? Jupiter is closer (no matter where the Earth or Jupiter is in their orbits I might add) and has a MUCH more powerful EM signature.

Lame-o.

~String

10. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Excellent point...underscoring the horrible staff distribution of Starfleet in the movie. Were there NO Starfleet commandos on EARTH that could have beamed aboard the Narada? (added to the fact that there appeared to be no defense grid). But...I think we beat this observation to death

This crossed my mind too actually...while watching the movie lol

11. Carlosr Registered Member

Brilliant movie

It's a best movie i have ever watched.

12. Carlosr Registered Member

Very Good Movie

I think it's a best family movie. Idea, story, script, cast, movie filming locations, direction and chosen cast were superb. Even the acting was brilliant. I love it