star gate antlantis

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by riku_124, Nov 6, 2006.

1. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

hello guys, ive recently started wathcing stargate atlantis and i would like to know something.

will i understand it in time, evne if ive never seen star gate SG-1?

also, the wriath are human like aliens who feed on human life forces right?

and where did the wriath come from?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You'll have more of a problem with the background of Atlantis itself than you will with the SG-1 background. But TV shows are always crafted to make it possible for people to pick up in the middle. Characters walk around explaining things to each other that you'd think everybody on the planet would know by now: that's for yoiu.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We don't know the origin of the Wraith exactly so you're not in the dark any more than we are. They live in the Pegasus galaxy where Atlantis is located, not in our Milky Way. They are sort of cartoon characters, like the Ferengi on Star Trek. It's difficult to imagine a Wraith scientist.

The Wraith are a big pain in the butt but the serious evil guys in the Pegasus galaxy are the Orii, who are thinly disguised models of the religious missionaries who conquered so many nations on earth a few centuries ago. Due to our own screwing up, the Orii now know about Earth. (Unless I'm confusing this with Farscape, my brain is too full of this stuff.

)

Brief history:

The stargates were built millions of years ago by a race now called The Ancients. Nobody really knows how they work but every sci-fi FTL device uses one of about four different principles and this one is wormholes. The Ancients have "ascended" and are still alive on some higher plane of existence and occasionally interact with us in usually inscrutable ways.

The original bad guys on SG-1 were the Goa'uld, a race of parasitic creepy crawlies that take over human bodies and give them modestly super powers. They had mastered the Ancients' technology and were taking over the Milky Way galaxy. They had come to Earth in Egyptian Imperial times (that explains their preference for pyramid-shaped technology) and planted slave colonies of humans througout the galaxy to work other planets.

This explains why almost all the inhabitants of other planets that we encounter are human. However it doesn't explain why they all speak Modern English.

They turned some of them into warriors called Jaffa by putting a worm inside them. Tiel'c (spelling?)--the big brave honorable black member of SG-1 with all the great lines whom I'm sure you'll see eventually--is a Jaffa who joined our side. The Goa'uld have been pretty much conquered and done away with so the storyline of SG-1 sort of petered out. But the Stargate Command Center in the Rocky Mountains and the staff from the original series show up once in a while.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.