Spontaneous combustion of wet hay

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Magical Realist, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

How does this happen? We had a truck that was hauling bales of hay catch fire yesterday on the freeway. I suspect spontaneous combustion. But wet hay? Come on!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

It's most likely bacteria converting the hay's glucose to co2, h20 and heat.
    Under the right moisture conditions, the bacteria can double in 10 minutes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Or a spark.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Why do you suspect that?

It seems to be a very odd conclusion to leap to.

8. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Spontaneous combustion is very common when gasoline gets a spark.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Moisture is essential for many types of spontaneous combustion. Dry compost remains pretty cool; wet compost can reach 170F even during cold weather. With hay, 25% moisture content is the ideal setting for spontaneous combustion. Any less than that and the odds of combustion go way down.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Where does the process get enough oxygen to combust? From my understanding, the process occurs deep inside the bale of hay.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I think you may be right. Does the bacteria produce alcohol that gets ignited? And how does the bacteria produce so much heat?

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Moist decaying organic matter often emits more CH4 than CO2 - I.e. makes fuel, but I do not have any reason to think it would spontaneously begin to burn.

13. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Spontaneous hay combustion.

sculptor likes this.
  14. billvon Valued Senior Member

From the air. A bale of hay is mostly air. Once combustion begins, rising smoke draws new air from below the bale.

15. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

It's a very real danger if you bale and store hay before it has properly dried. When I was a kid, I remember coming across bales with warm ashes inside of them due to the hay being put up too soon.

16. Bells Staff Member

From Washington State University:

The process of spontaneous combustion involves both microbial growth and chemical changes and may be slow to develop. The wet hay will first stimulate microbial growth and as these organisms grow they produce heat while drying out the surrounding surfaces of the hay for energy. More drying surfaces produces more microbial growth and different types of microbes live and die as the internal bale temperature climbs.

When the bale temperature reaches about 150 Fº the hay is on a one-way street and going the wrong direction! The larger the haystack and the more densely packed the hay is the longer it may take to show signs of internal bale burning. Internal bale temperature may take several weeks before reaching 150 Fº, but from this point on more heat resistant bacteria, called exothermic bacteria, start a process of chemical change that rapidly increases temperatures to the point of spontaneous combustion.​

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Thanks to all. That about answers it. Moral: blowdry your hay before baling it. lol!

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015