Split:Does DNA change?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Jozen-Bo, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hum.. ok, waves of what ?
    I'm sorry but the article comes off as a lot of babble, and no mention of evidence..

And I'm am going to ask another question. How is this related to DNA changing 3.000.000 times a second ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

OK...if matter is condensed light as the theory of relativity says it is, and light is composed of waves, then all matter is composed of waves as well. Then there are gravity waves and brain waves and more, I could go on listing the waves and produce a very long list. Can you tell me what isn't composed of waves?

Next, I will have to get back to the next question tomorrow, as time is running out for today (as I said, I am dealing with more limits then ever before), and I still need to write a Trecena Report. Give it some...time.

Cheers,
    Jozen-Bo

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure the theory of relativity says that though, I might just be ignorant of it though. Link ?

Ok, good luck

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

I went over to a DNA molecular biology forums to ask this question. Its a done deal, DNA changes and mutates, end of story!

8. draqon Banned Banned

if DNA did not mutate we wouldn't have evolution

9. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

DNA does not mutate at the rate you proposed. The question in the OP (does DNA change) is pretty much a straw man, as it is clear that DNA undergoes changes. However you (Jozen-Bo) seems to be quite confused regarding the mechanism of DNA mutation, conformation changes and molecule interactions, as well the consequences of these.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Of course it does. But not at the rate you said. I think you really are confusing mutation with degrees of freedom of a molecule.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I thought this was said on the first page, shouldn't this thread have ended there?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, it should have..

13. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

I'd say our DNA as a species is going downhill, when people smoke, it modifies their DNA, when they drink, it also places new chemicals into the DNA strands, and I believe that when we eat foods with certain preservatives, that too degrades our DNA. I believe that some of these DNA mutations are passed down to children, thus, we may be permanently messing up our future. On the other hand, DNA may one day be fully customizable with new technology, so perhaps we can figure a way to fix these problems. Who will you trust to "fix" your DNA? lol

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry I missed this thread. Jozen-Bo reads to me like the new Happeh.

15. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

:shrug:
    I might add that You (CharonZ) seem to give no exact reason as to why you (CharonZ) say that. You haven't backed yourself up with any precision. Will you point out the exact area of this confusion as you (CharonZ) understand it?

16. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

What was the rate I said? Restatement please!

17. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

I sorta thought the same thing for a second, but here it is.

18. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

*sigh* I know that I am just prolonging this useless thread, but here it goes.

As about everyone else here already mentioned, DNA information does not change at this rate. Also I did not think that I needed to give a reason why to state what I stated. It was not me who confused terms and made a mess out of them.
    Maybe we should try to define things a bit here. No molecule is static and due to the form of the DNA it also can undergo conformational changes. However, genetic information is stored in the sequence of bases, which will not be changed by conformation changes. Changes are usually associated with a polymerization step, as e.g. during DNA repair or replication, which occurs at a far slower rate.

19. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

You are completely wrong! Funny! I expected you to point something else out, because this is utter nonsense. I figured elsewhere there might be something, but you are trying to debase one of the most solid and easy to defend and obvious things. You are confused here, not me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.