Splinter: Hunting, people, and populations

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Enmos, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How is it you managed to bring this into a thread that was about deer hunting?

Do you have any idea what-so-ever about the damage factory farms and slaughter houses to do the environment? They have to tear up the environment to build the dang things. The machinery in the buildings puts out pollution. The freezers are kept cold by ammonia. If you fall into one of their containment ponds, you are put in quarantine due to the high bacteria. Hundreds of people drive in their cars to the factory to work, putting out more pollution.

My family walked into the woods, shot a deer. I dressed it out there leaving the guts for other wildlife. We took it home, butchered it in the barn, froze/canned it. Rabbits were even simpler.

Which one is harsher on the environment? Which one are you helping?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

To be precise, someone else killed off a certain animal somewhere else; "we" didn't do the killing.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm not saying "we should" kill off a species. But the blame game of blaming ALL of humanity for what some other people are doing is kinda bogus.
    Put the blame where it belongs.

I read somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong, that 95+% of all species over time existed (and went extinct) BEFORE humanity came on the scene.
    Should we build time machines to go back 4,000,000+ years to save them ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Of course not, that's not what I'm saying.
    I'm just saying that we should reintroduce the natural predators from elsewhere to where they have been eliminated, so that hunting to keep, for example, deer populations in check isn't necessary.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

In the long run we'll all be dead.

Why? What difference does it make if it's us or some other species that keeps the deer in check?

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why not, what do have against the idea ?

9. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

That's not an answer.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Objectively it doesn't make any difference whatsoever of course, but then, objectively, life doesn't have value.

I'm really working with the assumption all of you value and respect life.
    Maybe that was a wrong assumption..

11. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

It is a wrong assumption. You're applying that value to all life equally. Only a select few actually do that (and even fewer have the conviction to actually live a life that follows that mindset). The rest of us give a higher value to humans.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I can see how that is practical in society today, but I really thought more people would value all life equally deep down.
    This forum is not society, you can say pretty much say what you want, so I kind of expect people to be honest here.
    Why would anyone keep saying human life is more valuable than other life, at least in these circumstances ?

13. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I am being honest, and you're inability to comprehend that shows how narrow minded you are. I'm sure Roman, Orleander and Norsefire are being honest too. Deep down, I don't value all life equally. I value human life above all else. And my gut instinct tells that most people think that way too.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I am not saying you or anyone in this thread isn't being honest.

I am saying, because I think people will be more honest about certain things on a forum than in real life, that I expected to see more people valuing all life equally here.
    Therefore it seemed to me you guys were just arguing instead of indeed feeling that way, which is not the same as lying.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Anyway, if your 'gut feeling' is true it is very disappointing, but frankly what I expected.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ashura, do you have kids ? If so, do you teach them not to harm small creatures, and not to needlessly damage plants etc ?

17. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

No, I don't have kids. But if I did, I would still teach them that. Can you guess why?

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I know why I would, but I rather you put it in your own words.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what crap.

If you valued life equally, you would be a vegetarian.

20. Roman Banned Banned

I'm also a realist. I'm done bothering with normative, misinformed Dutchmen.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, I wouldn't eat at all. Needless to say that I'm conflicted about it..

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Cool.