Splinter: Hunting, people, and populations

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Enmos, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

How come we are in this stupid situation ?

We need to reintroduce their natural predators.

Mod Note: This topic is a splinter thread; these posts, in their original context, may also be found in "Accident: Convinced she was a bear"

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

that would be us. We have been their predators for thousands upon thousands of years.

Why don't you get angry when a wolf kills a bunny or mouse? Its just doing what comes naturally right? Well, take away your grocery store where someone is killing/packaging a defenseless animal for you, and you would do what comes naturally as well. You would kill your own food.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Like Orleander said, we are their natural predators. What's the problem?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The problem is that humans will keep pushing back the borders, and will kill any animals that dare to cross them.

Humans have upset the balance in many places, we either correct it or pull back.
    Balance will restore itself in time, or we can help it along a bit.

8. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

My problem with this sort of reasoning is that it views humans above nature. We're not. We're a part of nature, and we're simply doing what comes naturally to us. That people choose to dedicate themselves to conservation and not consuming more than we need to is admirable, and a testament to our intelligence. But it certainly isn't about your so called "balance". Even your goal of achieving whatever you think balance is, is you imposing your desire upon nature.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

And my problem with this sort of reasoning is that it's sticking your head in the sand.

Humans are not above nature but they have unique abilities, and we should those abilities to ensure that our environment will not turn into wasteland.
    If you won't to it for nature, do it for humankind.
    Destroy nature and you will destroy yourself.

How am I imposing my desire on nature by leaving it alone (pull back) ?
    How am I imposing my desire on nature by REintroducing animals they WE killed off (help it along a bit) ?

10. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

So what if we killed them off? What's your point? Because we have the power to handicap humans and benefit animals, we should? Where is your moral authority on this coming from?
    I thought we were talking about your problem with hunting wabbits, I didn't realize that would turn our environment into a wasteland. :shrug:

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So why do you think these bears come visit us ?
    No wait, lets shift this to a more obvious example, Polar bears.

12. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

No idea, it's been awhile since the last polar bear knocked on my door.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Come on dude..

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Are you denying the destruction of the natural environment by man ?

15. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I'm denying your equating rabbit hunting to turning the environment into a wasteland.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

We were talking about deer when I said that.
    There is an overpopulation of deer in some areas because we wiped out the predators.

And besides, you say humans are not above nature. And I agree..
    Now go see how many other people agree with it.

And could you please answer post 101 ?

17. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Fine: I'm denying your equating rabbit deer hunting to turning the environment into a wasteland.

And we replaced them, just like other predators have replaced weaker predators in other situations. This is natural.

18. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Of course not, what I'm denying is this fantasy that it's possible for the environment to remain pure and pristine and perfect for all living beings, including humans. The Earth is and has always been a finite resource for it's inhabitants. Species kill each other and exploit the environment to ensure their survival all the time, humans just happen to be the most successful at it.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

When animals are allowed to do whatever they do, there is a cycle of feast and famine. Lots of deer = lots of wolves. More wolves = fewer deer. Fewer deer = starving wolves. Starving dead wolves = more deer. More deer = stripped habitat = starving deer. Its feast or famine.
    I take it Enmos prefers that animals starve rather than people eat them.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Too successful you mean. At times predators have exhausted their food sources and got extinct as a result. We're on that path.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That is the natural way :bugeye:

And the fact that you use the word "allowed" only proves my earlier point.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LMAO. Proves? LOL <patting Enmos on head> Yes, ok, whatever you say.

Humans are at the top of the food chain for a reason. For a long time we weren't. Humans are just animals that kicked and clawed our way to the top. If it wasn't us, it would be another animal.
    What animal do you want at the top?