Spin off thread: satire versus insult

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Baron Max, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Actually, thinking about it, the OP is not really satire. It fairly accurately points out views actually expressed by certain people who don't believe in evolution, and holds them up to the light to show that they are patently absurd.

Yes, there is an element of ridicule there, but it is richly deserved.

The only people I can imagine who might be offended by this would be people who actually dismiss evolution for one or more of the reasons given in the list. Because if you didn't believe in evolution and you had good reasons for your disbelief, there'd be no reason you'd get all defensive and offended by this list. If your views aren't ridiculous, ridicule won't work on you.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So then ridicule of other people's beliefs is acceptable at sciforums now?

So if I post a "satire" on black conditions in the USA or Muslim beliefs, no one should be offended?

So personal ridicule of the beliefs of others is now permitted at sciforums?

Baron Max

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Max:

It always has been. Look at the Religion forum, for example.

If a belief is ridiculous, you'd expect people to ridicule it, would you not?

You do come across as quite thick sometimes, Baron.

Clearly, it would depend on what you were satirising, wouldn't it? And depending on the content, some people may very well take offence, for similar reasons that some might take offence to my opening post in this thread (reasons I carefully explained to you above).

I'm beginning to think that you have some personal gripe about my opening post. If you were offended by it, it's ok to tell me. I won't bite. I promise. Right now, it seems to me that all you're doing is pussy-footing around your real concerns, if you in fact have any. Or maybe you just don't have anything better to do with your time.

I'll leave you to work it out. Consider it a puzzle. Or homework. Good luck.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So we can start ridiculing Muslims on sciforums now?! And didn't SAM get ousted as a mod for views about Jews?!

James, many people have been warned in the threads about making personal attacks against other posters. James, you're making a personal attack against all people who don't believe in evolution. However you wish to cut it, James, it's personal attacks ...read some of that list - isn't there one about how such believers are thick-headed?? Is that not personal?

I do! And I've been saying that all along! The OP was ridiculing a particular group of people who believe differently to how you believe. Note the list in the OP, James, read it ....mostly you're not ridiculing the belief, you're ridiculing those particular people who don't believe as you do.

You defending this personal attack, James, is simply wrong. You know it, yet you continue to try to defend it. ...just like SAM tries to defend terrorist attacks on innocent people!!

Baron Max

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Personal attacks noted in bolded format:

1. Because I don't like the idea that we came from apes despite that humans are categorically defined and classified as apes.

2. Because I'm too **** and/or lazy to open a **** book or turn on the Discovery Science Channel. PERSONAL ATTACK

3. Because if I can't immediately understand how something works, then it must be bullshit. PERSONAL ATTACK

4. Because I don't care that literally 99.9% of all biologists accept evolution as the unifying theory of biology.

5. Because I prefer the idea that a (insert god of choice) went ALLA-KADABRA-ZAM MOTHAH-FUCKAHS!!! PERSONAL ATTACK

6. Because I can't get it through my thick logic-proof skull that evolution refers ONLY to the process of speciation, not to abiogenesis, or planet formation, or big bang cosmology, or whether God exists, or where they buried Jimmy Hoffa, or why the sky is blue, or how many licks it takes to get to the center of a **** Tootsie Pop. PERSONAL ATTACK

7. Because the fossil record doesn't comprise the remains of every single living thing that ever existed on this 4.5 billion year old planet, even though fossilization is a rare process that only occurs under very specific circumstances. POSSIBLE PERSONAL ATTACK

8. Because science has yet to produce any transitional species except for the magnitudinous numbers of them found in the fossil record, which don't count because I uh, OOH LOOK! A SHINY OBJECT!!! *runs away* PERSONAL ATTACK

9. Because I know nothing about Darwin except that he had a funny beard. PERSONAL ATTACK

10. Because the theory of evolution (which, according to scientists, perfectly explains the richness and diversity of life on Earth) contradicts biblical literalism ya know, flat Earth with a firmament that keeps out the water, talking snakes, people rising from the dead, bats are birds, flamey talking bushes, virgin births, food appearing out of nowhere, massive bodies of water turning into blood etc etc. PERSONAL ATTACK

11. Because I think the word theory actually means "random stabs in the dark", when it really means "an explanation of certain phenomena that is well-supported by a large body of facts and often unifies similarly well-supported hypotheses" i.e. atomic theory, gravitational theory, germ theory, cell theory, some-people-are-just-dumb theory, etc. PERSONAL ATTACK

12. Because the fact that science is self-correcting annoys me. Most of my other beliefs are rigidly fixed and uncorrectable. PERSONAL ATTACK

13. Because I am under the severely mistaken impression that evolution implies someone in my very recent ancestry was a chimp. PERSONAL ATTACK

14. Because everything appears designed to my mind which was expertly tuned by nature to perceive design, probably as a survival mechanism.

15. Because some secretly fabulous closet-dwelling televangelist (who without any sense of irony also preaches hate towards gay people) told me that evolution is Satan's way of leading me away from God. PERSONAL ATTACK

16. Because that same guy (who was also caught snorting blow off a male hooker's shiny naked ass) told me that God planted those fossils to test my faith. PERSONAL ATTACK

17. Because I'm 100% correct about everything 100% of the time and there is 0% chance that some snooty Oxford educated scientist with numerous honorary doctorates could possibly know something that I don't. PERSONAL ATTACK

18. Because I don't know that fossils are found in sedimentary strata corresponding to their age as one would expect if evolution were true.

19. Because I don't understand why, if we share common ancestry with chimps, there are still chimps. And when someone with more than three brain cells in their head inevitably replies: for the same reason Americans share common ancestry with Brits but there are still Brits, I can't follow the logic. Its just too big a leap. Who am I, Evil Knievel? PERSONAL ATTACK

20. Because my mom dropped me on my head when I was a baby. PERSONAL ATTACK

21. Multiple times. PERSONAL ATTACK

22. On purpose. PERSONAL ATTACK

23. Because the idea that life evolved naturally over billions of years is infinitely less believable than the idea that an 800 year old man crammed two of every species into a giant wooden boat when the entire planet flooded, an event for which there is absolutely no geological evidence whatsoever and also makes no **** sense at all. PERSONAL ATTACK

24. Because Jesus totally rode around on a **** t-rex. He's just that badassed. And also, did you know that t-rexes were vegetarians? Ken Ham says so and I believe it. PERSONAL ATTACK

25. Because I don't realize that saying microevolution is possible but macroevolution isn't is as **** as saying I can pick my nose for one second but I cannot pick it for 10 seconds. PERSONAL ATTACK

26. Because the education system failed me miserably. PERSONAL ATTACK

27. ... and then took a big wet dump on my face. PERSONAL ATTACK

28. Because I think that knowing how nature works magically obliterates all of its beauty. PERSONAL ATTACK

29. Because I didn't know that evolution has been tested and observed in laboratories.

30. Because when confronted with that, I refuse to believe it. Its obviously a scientific conspiracy aimed at turning everyone on the planet into atheists... even though evolution says nothing about god's nature nor whether he, she, it, or they exist. PERSONAL ATTACK

31. Because I'm too **** to realize that Social Darwinism has nothing to do with evolution and is actually a pseudo-scientific bastardization that real science largely rejects. PERSONAL ATTACK

32. Because the planet and all the life on it was designed for humans kinda like how the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY was designed specifically for the dust-bunnies that may accumulate on the floors. PERSONAL ATTACK

33. Because I don't realize that if we actually found croco-ducks in the fossil record, it would falsify evolution. PERSONAL ATTACK

34. Because plenty of respectable people like Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, and Mike Huckabee (who are not scientists) don't accept evolution, and that somehow validates my opinion. PERSONAL ATTACK

35. Because my mother didn't know not to drink while she was pregnant. She also didn't know not to repeatedly throw herself down a flight of stairs in an attempt to undo the accident of screwing someone who voted for Bush both times. PERSONAL ATTACK

36. Because I don't know that irreducible complexity has been debunked a frazillion times by a frazillion different people and is no more credible an argument than NEEN-er NEEN-er NEEN-er, I'm right and you're wrong. PERSONAL ATTACK

37. Because I have never seen a duck evolve into a cat over night, despite the fact that such a thing would be contrary to all known scientific disciplines. PERSONAL ATTACK

38. Because I have no imagination, learning is too much effort, I don't like proven facts, change scares me, and I think deoxyribonucleic acid is something I'm supposed to clean my bathroom floors with. PERSONAL ATTACK

39. Because evolution means that I absolutely MUST reject everything else I know, abandon all my beliefs, and start aping around my house like a **** monkey. OOOh-ooohh-ooohohh -OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!! PERSONAL ATTACK

40. Because I haven't put my cave on the market and moved into the 21st century yet. I'm waiting for the cave market to rebound from the recent financial meltdown. PERSONAL ATTACK

41. Because I don't know what an atavism is and if you told me, I still wouldn't believe it. Too weird. PERSONAL ATTACK

42. Because I don't know that evolution explains methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and also provides the answer in preventing it from turning into a superbug and killing massive numbers of people.

43. Because I don't know that evolution is routinely used in medicine to diagnose and treat certain illnesses such as genetic ailments, bacterial infections, and viral infections.

44. Because I believe there is a strong comparison between designed inanimate objects such as buildings, paintings, and watches (which we know were pieced together from identifiable components by human beings) and living organisms (which reproduce with genetic variation under the effects of environmental attrition).

45. Because I see no significant similarities between humans and apes. *scratches ass-crack then smells fingers* PERSONAL ATTACK

46. Because I think I'm too special to have been crafted by any natural process and the entire planet, solar system, galaxy, and universe were created with me especially in mind. PERSONAL ATTACK

47. Because I unquestioningly swallow the ignorant anti-science bullshit spewed directly from the fraudulent **** asses of people like Ken Ham, Ted Haggard, Fred Phelps, and Kent Hovind. PERSONAL ATTACK

48. Because I'm a freethinker and freethinking really means ignoring anything that contradicts what I already believe. PERSONAL ATTACK

49. Because I don't know what confirmation bias is. PERSONAL ATTACK

50. Because despite the fact that in all my years of life, I have never seen any magic, I still believe magic is the answer to everything I don't immediately comprehend. PERSONAL ATTACK

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case. Quod erat demonstrandum, I **** win. Take that you EVILutionists! PERSONAL ATTACK

(On a serious note, to deny evolution is to deny a direct observation, it's like denying the sky is blue while refusing to look up)[/QUOTE]

I don't know, James ......if those aren't personal attacks, like the ones that get people warned or banned on sciforums, I don't know what is!

Baron Max

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Max:

You again missed the distinction between ridiculing a person's views and ridiculing the person.

Correct.

Nonsense. How could I make a personal attack when I mentioned no names in the opening post, and referred to no specific group of people anywhere in it?

Not unless you read yourself into the group of "such believers" and then imagine that you are being personally slighted - even though your name was never mentioned and no allusion was made to you specifically and personally.

No. At best it was ridiculing a certain type of person.

And before you go off again saying that you'll start attacking black people or homosexuals or something, you ought to note that I did not at any point advocate discrimination against anti-evolutionists, the harming of anti-evolutionists, the ostracism of anti-evolutionists, the treatment of anti-evolutionists as lower-class citizens, etc. To do that might well amount to hate speech.

I fear, however, that some of these not-so-subtle distinctions are too complex for you.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

OK, so you don't know what a personal attack is.

Look, the Vatican, the highest authority on Earth wrt the Christian faith, accepts evolution.

If you don't, it's just a matter of time until your schizm does. Your schizm will evolve until it accepts these things.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

That's right. You don't know what is.

But enough banter. Let me ask you directly:

Do you reject evolution?

And, if so, is that the real reason why you're taking exception to this?

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Correct. You don't know what is. I'll try to help you. What person, what specific person was harmed by those observations? Very good. No specific person was harmed. They were not personal attacks.

Now try this. "Baron Max you are an atavistic cretin with all the charm of a farting skunk with gangrene."
    What person, what specific person, might have been harmed by that personal attack?

Making sense to you yet?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

oke: Hello.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Everyone who doesn't believe in evolution, and/or those people who believe in creationism - they were ridiculed and called nasty names in that article and I listed the specific places where it occured.

So if I say, "All blacks suck giant donkey dicks! Plus they're all ugly!" ...then since I didn't specify a particular person, then it's not a personal attack??? And you'll defend me when James R bans me for it?

And if I post a copy of that list, change a few of the words around to "attack" blacks, it'll be okay with you and James R?

Baron Max

14. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

No-one is being singled-out though, this is just a series of jokes about the viewpoint itself. It would only be a personal attack if James had of said: "Baron Max rejects evolution because he is an idiot." or "Mr Hamtastic. has shown that he can't handle simple logic, so we can't expecthim to handle Darwin's theories."

Tu comprends?

15. Roman Banned Banned

You have some serious problems, James.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

That would be racism, not a personal attack.

The equivalent for religion would be 'Heresy', or 'Blasphemy'.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Which part of post #71 did you not understand?

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The irony is killing me.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

The part where you claimed that the OP was ridiculing ONLY the viewpoint rather than those holding that view. Note my previous post showing clearly that you've ridiculed the persons! I've copied it below for your review and comment;

Personal attacks noted in bolded format:

1. Because I don't like the idea that we came from apes despite that humans are categorically defined and classified as apes.

2. Because I'm too **** and/or lazy to open a **** book or turn on the Discovery Science Channel. PERSONAL ATTACK

3. Because if I can't immediately understand how something works, then it must be bullshit. PERSONAL ATTACK

4. Because I don't care that literally 99.9% of all biologists accept evolution as the unifying theory of biology.

5. Because I prefer the idea that a (insert god of choice) went ALLA-KADABRA-ZAM MOTHAH-FUCKAHS!!! PERSONAL ATTACK

6. Because I can't get it through my thick logic-proof skull that evolution refers ONLY to the process of speciation, not to abiogenesis, or planet formation, or big bang cosmology, or whether God exists, or where they buried Jimmy Hoffa, or why the sky is blue, or how many licks it takes to get to the center of a **** Tootsie Pop. PERSONAL ATTACK

7. Because the fossil record doesn't comprise the remains of every single living thing that ever existed on this 4.5 billion year old planet, even though fossilization is a rare process that only occurs under very specific circumstances. POSSIBLE PERSONAL ATTACK

8. Because science has yet to produce any transitional species except for the magnitudinous numbers of them found in the fossil record, which don't count because I uh, OOH LOOK! A SHINY OBJECT!!! *runs away* PERSONAL ATTACK
    9. Because I know nothing about Darwin except that he had a funny beard. PERSONAL ATTACK

10. Because the theory of evolution (which, according to scientists, perfectly explains the richness and diversity of life on Earth) contradicts biblical literalism ya know, flat Earth with a firmament that keeps out the water, talking snakes, people rising from the dead, bats are birds, flamey talking bushes, virgin births, food appearing out of nowhere, massive bodies of water turning into blood etc etc. PERSONAL ATTACK

11. Because I think the word theory actually means "random stabs in the dark", when it really means "an explanation of certain phenomena that is well-supported by a large body of facts and often unifies similarly well-supported hypotheses" i.e. atomic theory, gravitational theory, germ theory, cell theory, some-people-are-just-dumb theory, etc. PERSONAL ATTACK

12. Because the fact that science is self-correcting annoys me. Most of my other beliefs are rigidly fixed and uncorrectable. PERSONAL ATTACK

13. Because I am under the severely mistaken impression that evolution implies someone in my very recent ancestry was a chimp. PERSONAL ATTACK

14. Because everything appears designed to my mind which was expertly tuned by nature to perceive design, probably as a survival mechanism.

15. Because some secretly fabulous closet-dwelling televangelist (who without any sense of irony also preaches hate towards gay people) told me that evolution is Satan's way of leading me away from God. PERSONAL ATTACK
    16. Because that same guy (who was also caught snorting blow off a male hooker's shiny naked ass) told me that God planted those fossils to test my faith. PERSONAL ATTACK

17. Because I'm 100% correct about everything 100% of the time and there is 0% chance that some snooty Oxford educated scientist with numerous honorary doctorates could possibly know something that I don't. PERSONAL ATTACK
    18. Because I don't know that fossils are found in sedimentary strata corresponding to their age as one would expect if evolution were true.

19. Because I don't understand why, if we share common ancestry with chimps, there are still chimps. And when someone with more than three brain cells in their head inevitably replies: for the same reason Americans share common ancestry with Brits but there are still Brits, I can't follow the logic. Its just too big a leap. Who am I, Evil Knievel? PERSONAL ATTACK

20. Because my mom dropped me on my head when I was a baby. PERSONAL ATTACK
    21. Multiple times. PERSONAL ATTACK

22. On purpose. PERSONAL ATTACK

23. Because the idea that life evolved naturally over billions of years is infinitely less believable than the idea that an 800 year old man crammed two of every species into a giant wooden boat when the entire planet flooded, an event for which there is absolutely no geological evidence whatsoever and also makes no **** sense at all. PERSONAL ATTACK

24. Because Jesus totally rode around on a **** t-rex. He's just that badassed. And also, did you know that t-rexes were vegetarians? Ken Ham says so and I believe it. PERSONAL ATTACK

25. Because I don't realize that saying microevolution is possible but macroevolution isn't is as **** as saying I can pick my nose for one second but I cannot pick it for 10 seconds. PERSONAL ATTACK

26. Because the education system failed me miserably. PERSONAL ATTACK

27. ... and then took a big wet dump on my face. PERSONAL ATTACK

28. Because I think that knowing how nature works magically obliterates all of its beauty. PERSONAL ATTACK

29. Because I didn't know that evolution has been tested and observed in laboratories.

30. Because when confronted with that, I refuse to believe it. Its obviously a scientific conspiracy aimed at turning everyone on the planet into atheists... even though evolution says nothing about god's nature nor whether he, she, it, or they exist. PERSONAL ATTACK

31. Because I'm too **** to realize that Social Darwinism has nothing to do with evolution and is actually a pseudo-scientific bastardization that real science largely rejects. PERSONAL ATTACK

32. Because the planet and all the life on it was designed for humans kinda like how the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY was designed specifically for the dust-bunnies that may accumulate on the floors. PERSONAL ATTACK

33. Because I don't realize that if we actually found croco-ducks in the fossil record, it would falsify evolution. PERSONAL ATTACK

34. Because plenty of respectable people like Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, and Mike Huckabee (who are not scientists) don't accept evolution, and that somehow validates my opinion. PERSONAL ATTACK

35. Because my mother didn't know not to drink while she was pregnant. She also didn't know not to repeatedly throw herself down a flight of stairs in an attempt to undo the accident of screwing someone who voted for Bush both times. PERSONAL ATTACK

36. Because I don't know that irreducible complexity has been debunked a frazillion times by a frazillion different people and is no more credible an argument than NEEN-er NEEN-er NEEN-er, I'm right and you're wrong. PERSONAL ATTACK

37. Because I have never seen a duck evolve into a cat over night, despite the fact that such a thing would be contrary to all known scientific disciplines. PERSONAL ATTACK

38. Because I have no imagination, learning is too much effort, I don't like proven facts, change scares me, and I think deoxyribonucleic acid is something I'm supposed to clean my bathroom floors with. PERSONAL ATTACK

39. Because evolution means that I absolutely MUST reject everything else I know, abandon all my beliefs, and start aping around my house like a **** monkey. OOOh-ooohh-ooohohh -OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!! PERSONAL ATTACK

40. Because I haven't put my cave on the market and moved into the 21st century yet. I'm waiting for the cave market to rebound from the recent financial meltdown. PERSONAL ATTACK

41. Because I don't know what an atavism is and if you told me, I still wouldn't believe it. Too weird. PERSONAL ATTACK

42. Because I don't know that evolution explains methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and also provides the answer in preventing it from turning into a superbug and killing massive numbers of people.

43. Because I don't know that evolution is routinely used in medicine to diagnose and treat certain illnesses such as genetic ailments, bacterial infections, and viral infections.

44. Because I believe there is a strong comparison between designed inanimate objects such as buildings, paintings, and watches (which we know were pieced together from identifiable components by human beings) and living organisms (which reproduce with genetic variation under the effects of environmental attrition).

45. Because I see no significant similarities between humans and apes. *scratches ass-crack then smells fingers* PERSONAL ATTACK

46. Because I think I'm too special to have been crafted by any natural process and the entire planet, solar system, galaxy, and universe were created with me especially in mind. PERSONAL ATTACK

47. Because I unquestioningly swallow the ignorant anti-science bullshit spewed directly from the fraudulent **** asses of people like Ken Ham, Ted Haggard, Fred Phelps, and Kent Hovind. PERSONAL ATTACK

48. Because I'm a freethinker and freethinking really means ignoring anything that contradicts what I already believe. PERSONAL ATTACK

49. Because I don't know what confirmation bias is. PERSONAL ATTACK

50. Because despite the fact that in all my years of life, I have never seen any magic, I still believe magic is the answer to everything I don't immediately comprehend. PERSONAL ATTACK

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case. Quod erat demonstrandum, I **** win. Take that you EVILutionists! PERSONAL ATTACK

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

Are you saying that it's impossible for a person who rejects evolution to not have read 'Origin of the Species'?

I think you are trolling Max. You can't seriously have an issue here.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Try these quotes from the OP and tell me how they are NOT personal attacks against those who are creationists or who do not believe in evolution:

2. Because I'm too **** and/or lazy to open a **** book or turn on the Discovery Science Channel.

3. Because if I can't immediately understand how something works, then it must be bullshit.

5. Because I prefer the idea that a (insert god of choice) went ALLA-KADABRA-ZAM MOTHAH-FUCKAHS!!!

6. Because I can't get it through my thick logic-proof skull that evolution refers ONLY to the process of speciation, not to abiogenesis, or planet formation, or big bang cosmology, or whether God exists, or where they buried Jimmy Hoffa, or why the sky is blue, or how many licks it takes to get to the center of a **** Tootsie Pop.

Explain to me, please, how those statements are NOT personal attacks.

Baron Max

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Because no specific person is named in those attacks.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So then I should be permitted to denigrate blacks in the same way ...just not naming any specific person in those attacks, right?

Or I should be able to attack Muslims as long as I don't attack specific person in those attacks, right?

Interesting concept. But what do you think James R. will do if I post just such an attack on black people ...as he's done against all creationists?

Baron Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.