Spin off thread: satire versus insult

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Baron Max, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Mod note: This is a spin-off thread from 50 reasons why I reject evolution for Baron Max to misunderstand satire/insult and accuse moderators of abusing their powers.

God was pretty smart when he invented evolution, wasn't he? While all of the changes were occuring, he could simply sit up there drinking mint juleps and watch the activity on the Earth. Yep, like a fun little video game for God, huh?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

James R. your treatment of religion is obscene and wrong. Do not blame religion for a path it offers, a path unlike the one you and many others chose.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If someone rejects evolution, should they be subjected to intolerance and ridicule?

Whatever happened to love, tolerance, understanding and compassion?

Baron Max

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Love, tolerance, understanding and compassion?

I've always wondered what happened to them! People talk about them all the time, but I've never met any of them ....except in idle, liberal, idealistic talk and conjecture.

Baron Max

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Say what?

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

He's trying to tell you, James, that ridiculing others for their beliefs is not very nice of you.

And, James, whatever happened to your ideals of love, tolerance, understanding and compassion? Have you begun to see my own viewpoint of hate, intolerance, ridicule and non-compassion? If you don't like something or someone, ridicule it until that person or thing is subdued!

Baron Max

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Please see post #6.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So, ....we can post anything we want, then just claim that we weren't the author and everything is just fine with the world, huh, James?

Can I do that with, say, some interesting commentaries on the black race or on Muslims? Then when Tiassa threatens to ban me, I just claim that I wasn't the author, and everything is fine??? Ooh, boy, oh, boy, I can't wait to test that theory!!!

Baron Max

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

There's a difference between satire and hate speech, Baron Max. The difference may prove a little too complex for you, so I'd play it safe it I were you.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, that's no problem, James, I'll just take the exact same format and change it to be about why I reject the black race. Pretty neat, huh?

Ah, so now it's okay at sciforums to toss out ridicule of other posters as being stupid or dull or incapable of something so simple as satire? Ooh, James, you're teetering on those rules you so love!

And is this what you call love, understanding, tolerance and compassion?

Baron Max

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Max:

Well and truly intact and going just fine. Thanks for asking!

It's a nice act you have going there, Max, but you're not fooling all the people all the time.

Most likely not.

We're an intelligent community here at sciforums. Ridiculing the views of the stupid and dull is a constant pastime here. Note, however, that we try to enforce a policy of playing the ball and not the man - in case you're still confused about that.

I understand, have compassion for and even tolerate idiots. I don't think I'm obliged to love them.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So I can start ridiculing the views presented by Muslims? Not individual people, you understand, but the views presented?

Let's see now ...what other views can I ridicule openly without recrimination from the moderators? Gays? Ooh!

Let me think on it, James, and I'm sure that my fertile mind can come up with lots of views to ridicule and belittle. I'll begin posting threads that ridicule the beliefs and views of others just as soon as I type something up. Ooh, this is gonna' be sooooo much fun!!

Baron Max

16. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

If someone argued vehemently that the world was flat, should we respect their viewpoint? Science isn't Religion. There's no reason to allow people to 'believe' what can be smacked down by anyone who passed GCSE Biology.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, one doesn't have to respect the viewpoint, but tolerant, understanding, compassionate people will still respect the person. ...and hopefully that would include NOT ridiculing them for those views.
    Help them learn? Yes.
    Teach them the science? Yes.
    "Smack them down"? No, I don't think so, that doesn't even sound nice.

But ridicule them? Surely no one would advocate such an approach. And yet, this thread is doing exactly that, and worse, some people are justifying that ridicule. Odd, huh?

Baron Max

18. copernicus66 Banned Banned

Yes. When a liberal on a liberal dominated forum does it, it's 'satire'. When a conservative on a liberal dominated forum does similar, it's 'hate speech'. We understand perfectly.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Satire is not the same as ridicule. You might want to learn the difference.

It will be interesting to see if you are capable of producing any satire on homosexuality. I doubt you can.

I don't think you do.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

"Satire: A literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule and/or scorn."

As you can see from the definition, James, the whole purpose of "satire" is to ridicule some belief or people.

Defending this thread as "satire", which is a form of literary ridicule, is perfectly foolish. Anyone can see, almost immediately, that this is a veiled attempt to ridicule those who don't believe in evolution, or worse, those who believe in god.

You've violated some rule here at sciforums, yet you're attempting to defend your actions for some reason. Why? Why not just do what you do to others who violate the rules ...delete the thread or send it to the Cesspool?

Baron Max

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I suppose he could produce a Satyr.

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

If you hold ridiculous beliefs, you should be prepared to be ridiculed.

When religious texts read like faery stories written for children, don't be surprised if that by believing them as true, you are thought of as childish.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Ahh, but not at sciforums ....it's against the rules here. Or didn't you know that rule?

And yet, James is the King of the Moderators, the Enforcer of Rules ....and he is the very one who posts threads to ridicule people. Is that the way it should be?

Baron Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.