Speed Of Light???

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by caffeine_fubar, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

That's why I quoted that particular sentence. These are not the same animal proposed years ago, but they would have the same paradoxical nature.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lethe Registered Senior Member

no, not at all. the fields that govern particle dynamics exist in some background potential. those potentials should be bounded below, or else either physics is completely wrong (which it is not), or else the universe will disappear in a flash of light on the order of 10^-30 seconds (which it does not).

nevertheless, the potential can have local maxima, and still be bounded below. in regions where the potential has a local maximum, the field acts like a tachyon. even in this region, there is not energy transfered faster than light. all that happens is that the "vacuum" is not stable (it is not actually a true vacuum in this case).

no contradictions arise at all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

How would this explain entanglement? The entire point is that information must be transferred [almost] instantly; independent of distance.

I do see your point about boundedness...I think. You are saying that since it is bounded, we avoid many of the paradoxes suggested by the original tachyon model?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mdhislaer Registered Member

Faser then the speed of light

Faster then the speed of light
    its the name of a book i wasa just wondering if any of you have ever read it.

8. caffeine_fubar Dark Dementia is my name... Registered Senior Member

Talking of the speed of light still, how does anyone know that the speed of light is the fastest we can go, or the fastest that anything goes? Maybe we cannot detect anything that goes faster?

9. caffeine_fubar Dark Dementia is my name... Registered Senior Member

I still think there may be something faster than the speed of light.

10. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

caffeine_fubar,

Almost all motion in the universe is caused by two of the four fundamental interactions: the electromagnetic and the gravitational. If you believe in relativity then you know that there are two reasons that the electromagnetic interaction can't push an object to a speed faster than light:

1) The objects mass will increase with its relative velocity. Since the relative mass of an object (with mass) is infinite at c, an infinite amount of energy would be required to push, or pull, an object to c.

2) If the object is being pushed from behind by electromagnetic waves, the energy of the electromagnetic waves will decrease as a result of the redshifting of the waves resulting from the increased velocity of the object relative to the source of the radiation. This means that the faster the object is moving away from the source of the radiation, the smaller the frequency, and therefore the energy, of the waves that are impacting the object.

If, however, you don't believe in relativity, then not only will transfer of energy from electromagnetic waves decrease as the object is moving away from the source of the radiation due to redshifting, but also the the number of waves impacting the object will decrease because of the decreased speed of the waves relative to that object. So for example, if an object was travelling at c, electromagnetic radiation wouldn't be able to "catch up" to the object at all.

Now as for the gravitational interaction, if you assume that gravity is caused by an exchange of light-speed particles (gravitons), then you have the same problems I described above with the electromagnetic interaction. However, if a gravitational field is only a static extension of matter, and not an exchange of gravitons, then, if relativity wasn't valid, it might be possible to push an object to a speed faster than c in a gravitational field. But even in that case, it's likely that the delay in the gravitational interaction (since we shouldn't assume that interactions are instantaneous) will result in limiting the maximum speed an object can reach by interacting with a gravitational field.

By the way, don't take my opinions to seriously. Many of my opinions differ from what is accepted by the scientific community.

11. caffeine_fubar Dark Dementia is my name... Registered Senior Member

I think that everyone seems to have a different opinion on this matter... but most seem to agree that it is impossible to travel faster...

Perhaps out minds are not capable of understanding or viewing what is really there and what is really happening or capable of happening. Maybe crazy people are the only ones who understand, and thats why they are so crazy, because their brains cannot handle the truth. ( lol had to put that )

12. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

You don't need to be crazy, you just need to accept the limits of our physical theories. They cannot go there, so the question is not scientific.

Bye!

Crisp

13. caffeine_fubar Dark Dementia is my name... Registered Senior Member

Faster we go, the slower time goes. This has been proved using jets and nuclear clocks. If this is true, and time stops at the speed of light, then perhaps going the speed of light cause you to actually go BACK in time?

14. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

No, time is not reversing it has just stopped. U cannot go back in time like u say and change the past!

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I think the reason why time slows is that the velocity of the moving object relative to the universe is actually the velocity plus "c".the object is already traveling faster than 'c' which is why time slows........

rest mass is "c" anything more is 'c' plus

This is theory development in progress so please don't get to upset.......

16. caffeine_fubar Dark Dementia is my name... Registered Senior Member

I never said time was reversing and i never said anything about changing the past... What is said was that time SLOWS as you go faster, and supposedly stops once you have reached the speed of light. If you could you possibly in any way go faster than the speed of light, could you maybe go backwards in time or warp time?

17. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

The equations of relativity require reversal of the time variable for particles traveling faster than light. No knowledgeable physicist believes that the equations are applicable to any real world phenomenon.

30-40 or so years ago, tachyon research was halted when it was recognized that evidence of success (Cherenkov radiation) would be observable prior to starting the experiment. If the radiation was observed, they could decide not to perform the experiment. This would allow them to publish a paper describing a successful experiment without having actually done the experiment.

The situation is analogous to the equations relating to certain word problems. The equations sometimes have negative or imaginary solutions which are not applicable to the problem although one solution is the correct answer.

An example is a problem involving n men on an island dividing up coconuts For n = 5, each counts the pile and divides by five, getting a remainder of one. Each discards the extra coconut and takes his share, leaving the remainder for the nest man. Minus four is a phoney solution. If you discard one coconut, you get minus five. Make two piles: Your share (-1) and the rest (-4), leaving minus 4 for the next man. The phoney solution works in an abstract fashion, but is not a real world situation.

Applying relativity equations to tachyon-like particles is analogous to the above. The equations just do not describe a valid real world phenomenon.

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

actually in a way it is the impossibility of time reversal that adds credibility to relativity because it puts 'c' in and absolute position as a constant.

19. Hector Berlioz Registered Senior Member

As long as moition exists time will exsit.

Sans absolute zero, time can not be stoped.

Time tarvel is fundementaly impossible.

20. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

excellent convo... but now my head hurts.

It really would be fantastic though to have a GUT and know this stuff for sure.

21. We travel in time right now. All we have to do is figure out how to alter the direction.

22. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

i'd love to travel sideways through it...... or be it... stay still?

but surely you can't go back in time...

theoretically if you travel faster than light, you could see "past" light, images of things that have happened... but you couldn't act in that past that you'd see, and you'd not be able to change it. You'd merely be an observer. No?

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I think this is an excellent observation

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!