Speech recognition

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Stryder, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I just thought I would try to use the speech recognition software that is found installed with Vista.
    I have to say that it is not easy to get the computer to understand what I'm saying, since I'm dictating this.

I was just wondering how many other people actually use speech recognition? And if so, what a brand software?

All I can say is if you decide to use speech recognition dictation software be prepared to work very hard in getting it to understand you

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Oh dear, me too. Cool, I thought, I will be able to remote control my laptop and do cool stuff,.... except it's a pain in the arse, I end up talking like some pith helmeted explorer when confronted by a pigmy, I talk loud and slowly, and painstakingly, and still doesn't undertand.

After going through the tutorial, I tried opening up word and dictating "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog". First error was 'round' instead of brown, if kept putting in 'fax' instead of fox, I guess it's geared towards hearing more office related words, and I foget what else, took four edits anyway.

Here is an example, ..

Oh fuck it, three words and that took a minute. I might try a better mic, but I can't be doing with a headset, it's hardly 'remote' control if you need to wear something.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I did notice that it seemed to get more stupid the more attempts you do at something. Namely if you sit with a notepad open and just keep trying stuff out without editing it and constantly deleting it, it seems to learn all the wrong outcomes.

It managed to handle commands however, I was able to play a game of chess against the computer however it talk an awful lot of talking to do it. Since every time I wanted to select a piece I would have to "mousegrid" and iterate the location I wanted to "click" three times before saying "click". Then I would have to call mousegrid again and go through the same process picking where I wanted to click to send the piece there.

I did find myself saying other things that mousegrid however, like mouseclick or mousegit etc. Seems it didn't distinguish any difference. I also noticed that Microsoft didn't pack if with the usual slurs that might be stated in regards to the stupidity of the dictation system. Obviously there was alot of "Stupid machine fork N thing"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.