Spanking Lowers IQ Points

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Orleander, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Ellie Banned Banned

it isnt magic. people have no business hitting another persons kid, is this rocket science?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jpappl Valued Senior Member

I had a friend over and we got up at 6am and snuck out and went to a 7/11 store which was a few miles away at the age of around 8. My parents had gotten up and checked on me and saw we were gone. My dad drove around frantically looking for us and we were back when he got home.

I knew it was wrong and I took the chance. I got caught. Thinking back on it, I can't imagine what he was going through, especially since he had this other kid to care for and was at that moment responsible for.

I have been spanked to hell about 3-4 times. All of which I deserved.

Yes I learned respect for the boundaries. Who likes being spanked ? It's not supposed to be fun. So yes I feared the spanking, but I never viewed it as my dad abusing me, because he never spanked me without a really good reason. Nor have I with my kids. It is rare they cross the line, they have a few times and thats been it so far.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Agreed. I don't think anyone has any business assaulting any child, even if its their own. Its lazy parenting.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ellie Banned Banned

but by the same token you have no right to tell someone else if there kid is on a one way trip to prison unless the kid doesnt learn how to act.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't have the right? Why not. I'm not saying it while assaulting you.

9. Ellie Banned Banned

because you are not going to be visiting their kid in prison every day. myob.

10. mugaliens Registered Member

Didn't seem to slow myself or my son down one bit. I'm successful and he's exceptionally bright.

11. Ellie Banned Banned

to be honest, i could have used some more aggressive parenting. i realized this in my mid 20s.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what??? :bugeye: If I visit the kid they assaulted, I can say something??

13. Ellie Banned Banned

i agree.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, that's just silly. LMFAO!!!

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You mean the spankings? If so, just think ....those spankings might be the very reason that you're both successful. A good swap to the butt at the appropriate time can teach valuable lessons.

When I hear people talking about spankings being "abuse", I keep wondering how the world ever survived and created all that we have now since in those days, spankings and even major whippings were a norm. If we listen to the liberals on this issue, those kids could never have built this great nation.

Baron Max

16. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Give the post number of somone who clamed that about little kids so i can see if i agree wit you'r acessment or not.!!!

17. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I emagine he was scared sht-less... lol... which likely increased the intensity of you'r whipin.!!!

Insted of whippin you... if you'r dad had calmed down firs... an then tolt you how scared an bad he had felt when he discovered you was missin... woud his feelins have had any effect on whether you woud have pulled such a stunt agan???... or woud you'r dads feelins have ment so little to you that you woudnt have cared... an dew to that... the only thang you woud pay attenton to was fear of punishment.???

18. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes all kids ant the sam an nether are all "spankins".!!!

Do you thank the intensity of whippins shud be increased if the child still ant behavin quite good enuff.???

19. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Do you thank our nation woud be even grater if "major" whippins was still the norm.???

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Did you feel any dumber afterward? How much dumber did you feel?

21. Ellie Banned Banned

not at all. i was smarter because i didn't do the same stupid thing again. now i dont even remember what i did.

22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well jus qurious... how do you know you didnt do it agan if you dont remenber what the stoopid thang you did was.???

23. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure why, but it seems that no one has pointed out that there is a counterpoint out there to Orly's original study by Straus, et. al.:

This is a critique of the study by Straus, Sugarman, and Giles-Sims (1997):

Etc., etc., etc. As usual, nothing conclusive, other than it varies according to circumstances. Have fun...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!