Spanking children, a parent's right ?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Cazzo, Aug 20, 2008.

?

When it comes to parents spanking their kids butts :

1. The UN should be able to criminalize spanking for ALL parents everywhere.

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Only individual states or countries should criminalize spanking if they want.

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Parents should be allowed to spank their own children, it's their buisness alone.

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  4. Other.

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Sure, it's possible. But I've not seen any evidence that would convince me of that. And I see evidence that they're wrong every day as I deal with my own children and observe the children of others.
    Why didn't you hit them back and make it crystal clear that you wouldn't stand for that shit?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

happerly i think your wrong on that. I was trying to find the section of the crimes act which alowed it for MH and as i couldnt i did a general search in google and this poped up

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/vda/vda-sec23.html

This is a report from the insitute of criminology to the federal goverment (i assume). Now these paticular changes relate to state rather than federal law (that being said they COULD do it under the treities power as we are a signitory to the international convention on the rights of the child, this would make the legislation automatically nationally binding in every australian juristiction)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, I was drawing direct similarities to faith in religion and faith in spanking.

Yet, the evidence of multitudes of websites providing parenting tools derived from decades of research, none of which agree with you, would demonstrate otherwise.

Speaking of skewed numbers, where did you get that stat, over 90% spank their children?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That's quite the article, thanks!!

I would like to paste an interesting paragraph from that article that pro-spankers should read:

"When parents, with the best of intentions, strike their children, they do so to teach a lesson. Unfortunately, they teach unintended lessons as well. As children tend only to be hit by those who love them, they learn at a very early age to associate love with violence. Since spanking is used to demonstrate correct behaviour, children learn that hitting other persons is right. Since the use of physical punishment by parents usually occurs in circumstances of some frustration, the child is implicitly taught that frustration justifies the use of physical force."

9. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Yeah, I was wondering if there was some sort of exemption for spanking in regards to assault legislation.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

It's all over the place:
    I might also point out that every one of these articles is against spanking, yet they all admit that almost all parents do it, at least occasionally.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yea the reason i couldnt find it MH is that its not IN the Crimes Act, its in common law which makes it much harder to find and evaluate.

Statutory law would make it much clearer especially if there was a no tollerance policy put into law

if your interested in the related statitory legislation its here:
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_act/clca1935262/

(Note: austlii is GREAT

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

the relivent sections are section 20 Division 7--Assault and sections 21 through 30 (31 and 32 are probably WAY outside the scope of anything anyone here would advocate) Division 7A--Causing physical or mental harm

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

That is all speculative crap based upon nothing but what the author dreamed up, most likely, while taking a dump.

Studies seem to show that spanking is used mainly on toddlers and very young children. Why? Because these children do not understand other forms of punishment. Also, these very young children are unlikely to consider the philosophical implications of spanking and draw the conclusions suggested in your quote.

The conclusions the toddlers will draw are simple and direct.
    Spankings hurt. When I do X, I get spanked. I shouldn't do X.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

of course mad and bashing up your wife keeps her in line

why do i feel like im associating with a bunch of people who were draged out of the neolithic age?

14. superstring01 Moderator

Thank you. It's called cognitive association, and it's required in those who have undeveloped minds, to keep them on track. It would be wonderful if a kid did the right thing because of good lessons. And for the most part, they do. But, often times a cognitive association is required. "Shit, I'd like to go teepeeing with you guys tonight, but my dad would kill me."

Carrot and the stick. The carrot, alone, always fails.

~String

15. superstring01 Moderator

How idiotic is that? No one is talking about "bashing". No one is talking about punching. No one is even talking about hitting wives (if your wife needs "keeping in line", it's time to find a new wife, not hit her). We're talking about instilling a lesson in children when other methods fail.

~String

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

really because to me violonce IS violence. For starters there is AS much evidence that domestic violance PERIOD causes children psychological harm

Secondly i have already posted an artical which shows that corporal punishment increases not only rape but also domestic violonce in turn

so it seems to me that if your hitting your child what your REALLY doing is telling them its ok to hit THERE wife

17. lepustimidus Banned Banned

The point Asguard is trying to make is that the ends don't justify the means. Surely you can grasp that very basic concept?

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i was going further than that MH, read my above post

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Are you saying that women have the same mentality as 2 year olds? Or that it is appropriate for a husband to discipline a wife? Who's the neanderthal?

20. lepustimidus Banned Banned

I responding to String's comment:
    But I was too lazy to quote him.

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I told you I have only smacked them a couple times in their life, and that was a long time ago. Was I frustrated when I smacked them? Yes I more then likely was. I couldn't get through to him and he was completely out of control. He was a having a tantrum from hell. I tried to take him to his room and settle him down and nothing was working. I finally gave him a couple of smacks to his bottom and told him he better stop this nonsense. I recall later when he settled down, explaining to him how mommy doesn't like to have to spank him and that I love him. Then I sat there just hugging him.
    He never had one of those tantrums again.

Tell me, what would your solution have been. How would you have handled the situation?

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Those are really quite appalling statistics, but at least those articles demonstrate that spanking is appalling. It's interesting that the statistics seem to point heavily towards disciplining religious beliefs, almost intuitively and strikingly obvious, too. Spanking is a religion.

I found this on one of the articles you linked - thoughts?

* Boys are spanked more than girls;
    * Mothers spank more than fathers;
    * Toddlers and preschoolers are spanked most often,
    * Parents from lower income groups spank more often;
    * Parents who have more education are less likely to spank;
    * Religious conservatives are more favorable towards spanking; and
    * Some groups, based on cultural and/or ethnic background are more likely to spank their children.

23. lepustimidus Banned Banned

madan:
    What's mentality got to do with anything? Do you mean to tell me that it is more acceptable to hit a retarded person than a mentally healthy adult?

And to be honest, sometimes women (and men) do have the same mentality 2 year olds. Ever seen a couple fight?