spam bots: why...

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by euphrosene, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. euphrosene Delusions of Divinity? Registered Senior Member

spam bots: why...

....do even intelligent people take them so personally?

One guy who got 650 in one day said he felt 'depressed'.

Although not depressed by my particular auto 'stalker', I have had various conflicting emotions, due to the (past) time and energy required to delete them all.

What on earth is the purpose of them except to bring minor misery to someone?

Has anyone ever been pressured into taking violent action against spammers (another form of artificial intelligence)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

i would give almost anything to DDOS their servers

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

DDoS as said previously would be a wrong move, since you wouldn't be generating a direct DDoS connection with their server and have to go across networks that are innocent. Spammers either have to suffer the same fate as blackhat hackers (Where they aren't allowed to use electronic devices fora considerable time) or they should be lynched. (although I think the latter is only legal in certain southern US states)

If you truly want to deal with spam then there are many options, for instance your email reader should have some filters you can apply, there is then the potential to tell your email service what spam looks like and if you have the privilege of running your own e-mail server you can ban their email address, IP's and pattern criteria from ever being delivered in the first place. (A Nice 505 message is good to deal with spam abusers, although when they use fake address it can cause bouncing)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

It's the modern equivilant of keying your car.

8. Nanonetics Registered Senior Member

If you run the server, a switch or a router in front of it you can use the device to gather information on incoming traffic. If you rent hosting services from someone else, its a tech support problem.

Block unwanted incoming traffic like spam bots and information you disagree with by using an ACL.

http://www.networkclue.com/routing/Cisco/access-lists/index.aspx

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

personally i am not bothered with spam.
    my ISP has done a terrific job in that regard.
    i got my account last october and of this date i have only received 1 piece of unsolicited mail.
    not only has my ISP stomped the crap out of spam emails they even provided me with a router with a built-in firewall. on top of that i also have a software firewall (zonealarm).
    the router gives a false IP to web pages which means that if you tried to get into my computer by the address offered by my browser you would fail.

10. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

keying a car leaves damage, spam can easily be deleted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.