Spain to recognise great ape rights

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by vincent, Jun 23, 2006.

1. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Not really, no. The fact that you seem to support an even more insane viewpoint than the one I ascribed to you does not make your stance better.
    You're right, of course. My fault - I didn't assume that you actually meant animals rights: the political movement, but were instead talking about animal rights/protection as I normally view it. I frankly didn't think you would support such a viewpoint...
    Why? Those rights most definitely arose in human culture. Nature isn't very nice, you know. Protecting those rights is very much a by humans, for humans thing. I don't think that they're actually grounded in anything other than what culture has made them, but they undeniably applied to humans only. Hence "human" rights. You seem to think that I mean "rights you should have because you're human". I don't. A priori there are none such rights. However, I do hold that there's nothing gained (and great potential loss) in extending the "rights society grants every member to make society function better" to great apes, and that it's therefore a stupid move. Studying the great apes to learn more about nature becomes exceedingly difficult if you have to worry about little Kiki dying of starvation...
    Good. Because I didn't and I won't. (Whassat you say? Strawman? Never heard of him.)
    Oh, fuck off with your self-rigtheous moralism. Saying that an orangutan should not have the vote (yeah, that's spin - deal with it) isn't fucking tantamount to supporting slavery. (I can see why MacM would think you're a snide bastard...)
    Well, actually I sent it down the slippery slope, but no matter.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

I'm all for apes having full rights. I want them to have the vote as well. They would most assuredly make better ballot selections.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not sure, but I think they already do vote in some of the "banana republics."

(That is supposd to be a joke and comment on how some are run, not a slur on any body.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

[personal insult deleted]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Billy T:

You have presented another version of the "appeal to nature" fallacy, in that you seem to be saying that we should always prefer nature to take its natural course, rather than choosing whether to act morally or immorally. The extreme form of that argument equates morality with what nature does, asserting that what is natural is necessarily good.

I'm not sure I agree with you that humans can exploit animals without thinking they are "above" or superior to animals. Because, the very fact of exploitation assumes from the start that animals have little, if any, intrinsic value, and can therefore be treated as mere economic resources - something which we condemn when humans do it to each other.

The difference between an HIV virus and a human being is also significant. An HIV does "want" anything. It is not sentient or conscious. An HIV virus does not act consciously to improve its lot in life. On the other hand, great apes do want things, are conscious and sentient, etc.

There are now 6 billion human beings on Earth. How many great apes are there? How much of the Earth's surface do they occupy, compared to humans? Is there not room for both humans and apes?

My counterpoint is: don't assume that what is natural is good. Humans have the capacity to make moral choices. Viruses do not. We ought to use our capacity and resources to do good. In fact, I think we have a moral duty to do so, as far as possible.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

funkstar:

You didn't look it up, did you? Here's the distinction:

Animal welfare is concerned with the humane treatment of animals. It allows for the exploitation of animals for human purposes, provides that undue harm is not caused to the animals. Here "undue harm" is defined as harm other than that necessary for allowing the human expoitation to occur.

Animal rights, on the other hand, is concerned with respecting the intrinsic value of animals, in and of themselves and separate from human concerns. Most basic among such rights is the right of an animal (including human beings) not to be valued solely as an economic resource.

You wonder why I support animal rights. I support them on ethical grounds.

You, on the other hand, didn't even know what they were, until I told you. But now you do. So, start thinking.

Essentially, you are arguing on the basis of tradition here. Humans ought to treat animals badly, because that's the way things have always been. I disagree.

Sure you do. On what other basis do you draw a line between humans and animals?

You assume without question that the only possible "gain" worth having would be a human gain. If humans don't benefit from this law, why have it?

Have you ever considered that the apes might benefit?

Is this the best you can do?

10. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Actually, I did...
    As I said, I didn't think you'd support such a viewpoint (which usually manifests itself in vandalism from the likes of ALF.)
    Not so. I'm not arguing that humans ought to treat animals badly. In fact, I emphatically disagree. What I am arguing is that human rights are a construct to make the human societies function better (as one of my friends is fond of saying, to make us choose Pareto optimality instead of Nash equilibrium). I have no more moral or ethical background for my stance than that. In fact, I'm not really interested in such arguments, as they essentially reduce to "My viewpoint is right because it is." which I consider to be a particularly bad kind of argument. By the same coin I could say that I, also on ethical grounds, don't support animal rights.

A clarification, seeing your response to Billy T: I'm not by this arguing that we shouldn't act morally. I'm just saying that we shouldn't delude ourselves that the morality we have is somehow intrisically true, nor about how it has arisen. Hell, even if we someday were to meet an alien (yes, as in standard science fiction alien) species, and it turned out to have the same standards of morality as us, this still wouldn't validate those standards - it could just be a thing that arises naturally (maybe inevitably, like a Ramsey theory thing) in socially complex networks between intellligent individuals...
    Touché. What I mean is that human rights aren't there because you're human per se, but because there's a human society. (Other) animals aren't part of this society, nor are they likely to be. Not because of any intrinsic "that's how things should be" kind of thing, but because this society arose among humans and is finely tuned to the kind of behaviour that humans are good at. Animals literally can't participate in any meaningful way (IMHO).
    Certainly. However, I think that it might hinder science, too, and in that case I'd rather have animal welfare than animal rights. I do not worry about the fate of every human out there - we have society for that, nor can I worry about the fate of every ape. Incidentally, without reference because I can't be bothered, studies of apes (hehe) seems to show that there's a limit to how many individuals we can care about, and that it's correlated with brain size. (Someone called it the "Monkeysphere".)

And the "slippery slope" argument actually does apply. To whom shall we (because it very much is us humans) extend these rights? Great apes are naturally appealling to us since we're primates, but in that case what about other apes? Mammals? Vertebrates? Why exactly have "animal" rights, isn't that unfair to plants? Or eucaryotes in general?

I'm perfectly serious, by the way. I think this idea is based on nothing more than the fact that great apes are like humans, in many respects. If intelligence is the criterion, then why should you suffer because you're a (relatívely) stupid spider monkey while chimpanzees thrive under our protection?
    Hopefully not, but I'll stop the antagonism now (I'm in a much better mood today.) There are plenty of bad guys to go after (here and otherwise) and you aren't one of them. So what if we disagree on a couple of issues...

Since you mentioned biodiversity, can't the case be made that this might lessen biodiversity? At some point, extending these rights to apes will probably mean having to extricate them from their current environments, which will loose a player and probably suffer as a consequence.

(Note: I'm not particularly worried about this, I just think that the biodiversity argument doesn't necessarily hold. After all 99.99% of all species that ever lived are extinct, and of those that are left (including), probably all will die eventually. Oh, and remember that 83% of all statistics are made up on the spot (read "almost all" for 99.99%.))

11. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

It is about time apes gain a little bit of protection under the law. In too many places they have no more than rabbits and cows and can be eaten. This disgusts me in that, while great apes may not match men in capabilities, they seem to have the spark of sapience. They most are at least as much people as young children, the senile, and the mentally retarded.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

funkstar:

That is unusual, not usual. Once again, it suggests to me that you haven't investigated this very carefully. Labelling all animal rights advocates as terrorists is an easy dismissal, but it also isn't true.

Like most people, you probably support animal welfare. However, you don't support animal rights, because that would mean that in some situations humans could not do whatever they wanted with animals. And you think human interests should always take precedence over animal interests, even if the human interests in question are minimal (such as the selfish pleasure of the human, for example).

And yet you do support human rights, presumably.

This seems to me to be a double standard. And on what grounds? Anything better than speciesism?

I agree. All I am asking is for you to be morally consistent rather than hypocritical. Why are the standards you apply to humans not equally applicable to animals?

And so, humans, being separate, can and should have the right to oppress animals? Just because they can? What happened to the strong protecting the weak? Isn't that generally considered to be a high moral stance to take in a human to human situation? If so, why the double standard when it comes to animals?

Let me see if I understand this. Animals can't participate in human society. Therefore, humans are free to exploit animals as economic resources, such as killing them for sport, or clothing, or food?

Certain disabled human beings, and human infants, also cannot participate in a meaningful way in human society. And yet, they have rights...

In other words, human interests always take precedence whenever there is a conflict between a human interest and an animal's interest. But why?

So, some human misery is acceptable, then? If human slavery occurs somewhere in the world, you won't worry about it? You consider it acceptable?

And yet, we make generalised laws giving all humans certain rights. Perhaps this solves the problem of having to care. Treating other humans in certain ways becomes illegal, and thus a matter of law and not an individual ethical choice. Why are such laws enacted to protect humans? Perhaps it is precisely because many people, like yourself, just don't care enough about their fellow humans. They need to fear legal sanctions in order to act morally.

So, why shouldn't we remedy the problem of lack of moral fibre regarding animals by enacting laws which protect animals, just as we protect humans?

As I said before, the Great Ape project is a wedge in the door. Other apes ought to have the same rights. And so should cows and sheep and dogs.

Deciding where to draw the line for these kinds of basic rights may be difficult, but it is obvious that the moral compass ought to encompass great apes as a bare minimum. We can argue about plants when the majority of people accept ape rights. Clearly, most people aren't ready even for that, yet.

Back at you. I think the exclusion of great apes from moral consideration is because of overly-exaggerated differences between apes and humans. It comes from a failure to recognise basic similarities, including the capacity for suffering.

By the way, nobody said intelligence was the criterion, here. And why do you place such importance on intelligence, anyway? Just because humans happen to be good at the whole intelligence thing? I'm sure a spider would say the ability to spin a web puts a creature at the "top of the evolutionary tree" - a strange and muddled concept in itself - not intelligence.

I'm not upset about disagreeing with you. You're not at all unusual in your views. In fact, I'll wager than the majority of posters here think exactly the same way you do. Most people never think seriously about these issues. Their prejudices are far too convenient.

I'm not sure how it follows that granting apes basic rights would lead to having to extricate them from their natural environments. Can you explain?

So, you wouldn't mind a world in which humans were the only remaining large land mammal, say? You don't think we would have lost anything worth worrying about, if it came to that? Do you care if your child ever gets the chance to see a real, live tiger, say, or doesn't that matter too much to you?

13. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

But animal welfare entails that, too.
    Again, no, I don't. I consider cruelty to animals to be disturbing and vile. On the other hand do I consider, say, toxicity tests on animals to be cruelty? No.
    Well, human rights ultimately makes my life (and the life of my progeny) better.
    Again, I'm not interested in morality. The only reason there even is something like human rights is because humans are social animals. When we work together we have better chances individually to survive and continue our genetic line. Applying a moral codex designed to ensure those things to other animals is a non sequitur.
    Hey, it's nature. I'm not saying it good or bad, but that's how it is. And what makes you think we're separate, by the way? We are as much part of nature as the great apes...
    A rule codified to make humans societies stronger. Not because it has instrinsic value.
    Well, yes. I'll stand by that, though I wouldn't have worded it like that (and don't necessarily agree with the sport thing).
    I'm not arguing on an individual basis. Like (other) laws, human rights establish certain ground rules that makes cooperation possible (that Pareto/Nash thing). While that includes having to take what seems like locally suboptimal choices, it leads to a generally better society (for want of a better term) than we would have had if it wasn't there. That's why we, say, care for the elderly. Also, empathy will have been selected for wrt. evolution, so we feel good about doing it, too, and think it's the right, moral choice.
    Why not?
    No, I don't consider human misery acceptable. In fact, I hope to be able to alleviate some of that misery by doing science. And yes, I consider slavery unacceptable. I am also aware that it has little direct influence on me, and thus it takes up little to none of my time. I don't consider the two stances to be incompatible.
    You seem somehow... disappointed... by this?
    See, I think this is where we don't see eye to eye. I don't think there's a lack of moral fibre, because I don't consider it a moral question.
    So, what penalty should a violation of those rights incur? Are you going to imprison lions for killing gazelles (violating their right to life)? Again, I'm deadly serious.
    See, it isn't obvious at all. I, for one, don't agree.
    Here's where I think that you haven't thought these things through: Are you certain that the goal you're striving for makes sense at all? Are you sure that it isn't perhaps motivated by a romantic notion of nature?
    Again, reducing unwarrented suffering is what animal welfare is about.
    That's why I said "if".
    I agree. I hate it when people speak of the "evolutionary ladder", because it betrays a poor understanding of how evolution works. The tree analogy is somewhat less annoying because the phylogenetic tree is remarkable, and everyone should know it. Of course, the concept of "top" implies an overall direction to evolution, which is obviously false (except in the vacuous sense of "to species better suited to the current environment than these".)
    Let's say we grant the apes basic rights. As the only sentient beings aware of those rights, it falls to us to uphold them. So, we would be morally obligated to provide medical care, access to clean food and water, protection from the elements, etc. ultimatelly altering their environment (and their interaction with their current environment) totally. Yes, it's a leap, but not unreasonable, I think.
    Hold on. I didn't say that biodiversity wasn't a good thing, just that we shouldn't worry about it. Whereever an ecological niche opens up, evolution will take care of the rest. But every species dying out is an inevitability (even though some, like, say, sharks are remarkably resilient.) When evolution is a force it simply can't be helped. Don't think for a moment that saving a few pandas will change anything.
    Not particularly, no. I realize that there are certain romantic notions coupled to a live tiger, but that's only because of popular culture. I don't really care that my child will never get to see a pterodactyl, either. The only difference between the tiger and the pterodactyl is that the tiger isn't extinct yet. Don't worry though: Nature will take care of that.

14. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

A hard cruel fact all are born to die, be it the individual life, or the species, it will all run its natural course and there isn't a thing that humans can do about it, untill we become Gods, and can create by word a life.

15. broadandbeaver 'Now I am become Death Registered Senior Member

Well if the United States can grant the same status to Corporations, why not apes?

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

funkstar:

You seem to hold several sets of mutually contradictory views. I wonder how you manage the double-think required.

In light of the remainder of your comments, I must ask: why?

I'm serious. According to your argument, isn't this just "nature's way"? If animals die due to human cruelty, why does that matter to you?

Cosmetics in bunnies' eyes is ok, then? Why?

How is this not "disturbing and vile"?

So, it comes down to self-interest, does it? If an animal dies and it doesn't affect you either way, that's ok? And if it benefits you, I guess its death is desirable.

I am constantly intrigued as to how often in these kinds of discussions people claim that morality is unimportant, or that they don't care about it. Then in the next breath they will agree that rape is wrong, murder is wrong, etc. etc. (You do think murder is wrong, don't you? Or are you truely "not interested" in the morality of murder?)

Then why is slavery wrong? Or do you think it is neither good nor bad, but just is?

I was giving my understanding of your argument. I personally don't think humans are separate.

What kinds of rules or laws (if any) have "intrinsic value" to you? Can you explain what you mean by intrinsic value?

Again, I must ask: what do you think is wrong with killing animals for sport (deer hunting, bull fighting, duck shooting etc.)?

You say there is no moral issue at stake, so what other reason is there?

How do you know that setting the same ground rules for animals would not also improve human society?

Also, is human society all that matters to you? (Actually, don't bother. You've made it clear that this is all that matters to you below.)

Because there's no meaningful distinction that can be made between humans and apes (for example), such as to justify treating one species as persons and the other as objects.

Again, I am puzzled. You say you're not concerned about morality. So, why is slavery unacceptable? On purely economic grounds, perhaps? Or for some other reason?

And on what basis do you distinguish human misery from animal misery, exactly?

I am quite often disappointed that people refuse to act morally unless they are threatened with some kind of punishment.

What penalties should apply? Depends on the violation, of course. We have a range of penalties for human against human crimes - assault, battery, murder, theft, etc. If we take animal rights seriously, the same kinds of penalties would apply to the assault, battery, murder etc. of animals. (Note: I have not said the same penalties. I am not arguing for absolute equality here, just a recognition of basic rights which are currently not recognised or respected.)

As for imprisoning lions for killing gazelles, we must be aware that human ethics and laws apply to humans. As humans, we don't have a responsibility or right to determine how other animals treat each other. Our concern should be how we treat each other, and how we treat animals. If lions want to enact their own moral or legal codes regarding the treatment of gazelles, they can do it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Take a basic right to life, for example the right not to be arbitrarily shot.

Now, it seems to me that you most likely accept that I do not have a right to go out into the street with my gun and shoot another human being at random. And yet, at the same time, you advocate that I should have the right to go out into the forest with my gun and shoot a deer at random.

Now, explain to me the difference in your two points of view.

Yes, I'm sure.

The important word in that sentence is "unwarranted". The question is what you regard as warranted. For example, if you desire a nice, juicy steak, you think that killing a cow is "warranted". I disagree. And if that cow had a basic right to life, you could not kill it purely for the pleasure you gain in consuming it.

The thing is: while you claim to support animal welfare, your idea of animal welfare is a sham at its base. If ever your interests conflict with the potential interests of an animal, your interests automatically take precedence. You can't have true animal welfare while at the same time retaining the absolute right to treat the animal solely as a resource for your exploitation.

I'm glad we agree on something.

We're talking about basic rights here. Such rights include the right not to be arbitrarily killed, as I discussed above. They also include a right not to be kept as the property of another. Rights to medical care, access to food and water and so on are non-basic rights. In fact, many human beings do not have those rights.

I find this point of view very sad. I'm guessing you probably live in a city, with little contact with the natural world. I am sorry you have such a limited appreciation of nature.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Buffalo Roam:

The thing is: there is plenty humans can do about preserving species - or killing them off. The human impact on this planet is immense. Perhaps it would pay dividends for you to make an effort to learn something about this.

18. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Right back at you...
    Well, I'm only human. The evolutionary and cultural pressures that have made humans moral have certainly worked on me as well. It "feels" wrong.
    I'm talking medical toxicity tests.
    If it doesn't affect me, it isn't necessarily ok, either. If it benefits me (say, for its nutritional value) and it's done in an 'ethical' way, then yes, it's desirable. I like my meat.
    Again, I'm not excempt from morality. But I just can't use "It's wrong." as a rational argument for much of anything. But I recognize that there are certain benefits to acting morally, not least of which the benefits to myself (whether directly or indirectly.) Which is why murder and rape are wrong. Not because it's somehow "universally true" that they are wrong, but because it ultimately benefits humans to act accordingly.
    See above.
    Well, it certainly seems that way given what you write below...
    I mean that they are either "universally true" or at least applicable in most other contexts then the default one. For instance, "The strong protecting the weak" is a good guiding principle in many cases, but certainly not all. For instance, at the end of WW2, Germany was the weak party, but did not warrant protection from the Allies.
    Deer hunting and duck shooting are hunting, so I don't see much wrong with that. Bull fighting I regard as antiquated, and since we know the bull suffers greatly during the ordeal, I consider it a nasty practice. As I've made clear, I'm not excempt from morality, even if I presume to have some idea of it's origins.
    Because there's absolutely no way that those ground rules will be followed. With rights come responsibility, and animals simply won't be aware of that.
    Who said they were to be treated as objects? Just because we don't treat them as humans doesn't mean that we treat them as objects.
    Again, slavery is harmful to the overall state of human society (IMO.)
    It's dependent on the animal. But generally, the more the animal is like us, in some respect, the less difference there is. But you seem to think that I don't want to limit animal misery. Well, to the extent of human influence and within reason (mine obviously, not yours) I do. That's why I support animal welfare.
    Ah, but there's the rub. With rights come responsibilities: This is the whole upshot of my argument about human societies. Not because it's everything that matters (as you accuse me of thinking) but because we are given those rights with the condition that we not violate the rights of others. Without that basic ground rule and a way to uphold it, rights are worthless, and will be broken.
    But then you're being horribly inconsistent. On the one hand, you want to penalize humans for killing, say, chimpanzees, on the grounds that there are no good reason for morally distuinguishing between us and therefore humans ethics can be applied to chimpanzees. But on the other, you don't want to penalize chimpanzees for killing chimpanzees, because human ethics apply only to humans. Isn't that exactly the speciesism you accuse me of? And, btw, it seems to me to be a pretty good reason to morally distinguish between us: One will respect the rights, the other will not.
    The sanctity of human life is a right given to us on the condition that others respect it. With that right in place, human societies benefit from being able to work together (ideally) without having to worry that members of their society will kill them at whim or for personal gain. Therefore we punish those that violate this rule, maybe even depriving them of their rights (by, say, the police shooting you.) As social (intelligent) animals this rule has been selected for, and can even culturally be extended far beyond our Monkeysphere (the specific individuals we care) even as far as every other human (as in the human rights we're discussing.)

In the case of the deer, the deer isn't part of the society in which those rights are given. Because this morality is ingrained in us, we still choose to extend certain rights in a degenerate form to the deer. Recognizing the differences, however, we condition these rules to human interaction with the deer, and with humans as arbiters. Deer don't have the right to life under these circumstances (mainly because venison tastes good).
    Well, I wouldn't be doing that, would I? I like steak for the reason that it's an extremely good nutrition source. The fact that I get personal enjoyment from it is a trait that will have been selected for, because it would have increased the chances of survival, but it is secondary to the fact that eating meat is good for me.
    I simply disagree. Of course my interests take precedence. But that's true even in human interactions as well: If a human attacks me with a knife, I have the right to possibly kill him in self defense. If a lion attacks me, do I not have the right to defend myself?

Rights are extended between equals with equal responsibility for upholding them. Animals cannot be given rights, because they will not, and cannot take up the responsibility that follows.
    What about the chimpanzee whose right not to be arbitrarily killed is violated by other chimpanzees? Why is it ok for a chimpanzee to kill another chimpanzee, but wrong for a human?
    Well, they have the rights, but they aren't being upheld, for shame...
    Again, this is based on a strange concept of what is, and isn't, "the natural world". A city is every bit a part of the natural world. The fact that we humans shape our environments does not make them unnatural, unless your idea of nature is "untouched by human hand" (a foolish romanticism). You wouldn't say that a termite tower isn't part of the natural world, so why is a high-rise? You might say that a city doesn't look much like the country, but a mountain-side doesn't look much like a lake, either. The notion that we are separate from nature is as arrogant as the one that says we are above it. We are neither. It is an idea of the same school as the "noble savage living in harmony with nature", which, of course, turned out to be simply wrong.

The point I was making with the tiger going extinct is that nature is continually changing, and that this is neither sad nor preventable. The idea that the status quo is especially worth preserving is either a romantic notion that there's something "special" about it, or a pragmatic (but ultimately futile) notion that humans are especially fit to the current environment, and that we should therefore keep it that way. Both betray a poor grasp of how nature works.
    And I'm sorry you have such a limited understanding of it.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

funkstar:

Can't you come up with a better way to decide on basic rights than your gut feelings?

Before, you said ethics don't matter. Now you say ethics matter.

It is interesting the test you apply to eating meat. Here, you weigh up your nutrition against the lives of the animals killed for you, and you decide that you take precedence. Unsurprising.

So, ethics are valid if they produce desirable outcomes? This sounds like a kind of utilitarianism. Your problem is that you define "benefit" in a way which is unjustifiably narrow. The only "benefit" which matters to you is human benefit, and more importantly your own individual benefit. If it "benefits humans" it is good. Never take into account the interests of other animals, unless there is no conflict...

Are all forms of hunting acceptable then? Tell me: What makes hunting a special form of killing exempt from moral implications?

Would it be ok for humans to hunt other humans? If not, why not?

Here, you mention suffering as important. You seem to recognise a bull's capacity for suffering, and you regard that as morally significant. But why? Is it morally significant because of the interests of the bull, or only because it offends your delicate human sensibilities? I wonder. Or perhaps it is because bullfighting serves no "valid" economic purpose, like killing cows for your food does. Is that your view?

Many human beings have rights but no responsibilities. I cannot kill a human child and eat it. It has a right to life, even though it has no capacity for fulfilling moral duties. So, how is a cow or an ape different?

The fact of the matter is that we do treat animals as objects, whenever we want to. Sure, sometimes humans act magnanimously towards animals, but only when it suits them. If a human wants to shoot a cow and eat it, that's acceptable, apparently. The cow is property which the human can dispose of as he sees fit. How is this not treating the cow merely as property for exploitation?

I could argue that cruelty to animals (which includes arbitrarily killing them for food) sets a bad example for humans, and therefore is equally harmful to human society.

You don't mind animal misery if it is inflicted for your pleasure. If you get a juicy steak out of it, or a deer head to hang as a trophy on your wall, your don't care about any animal misery which went along with that. Your momentary pleasure always trumps animal misery. Doesn't it?

Human ethics are applied to human actions, as I said. The Spanish law which is the subject of this thread concerns human treatment of great apes, not great apes' treatment of each other.

No. What gives human beings the right to impose human ethical values on other animals? This is like the United States making laws for Botswana.

Does this mean you will refuse to confer any rights on another person if they cannot or will not confer the same reciprocal rights on you?

I assume this means that you won't support gay rights unless you are gay, or women's rights because you aren't a woman. Can you not see that certain rights may be reasonable for other people and yet totally inapplicable to you?

This is exactly what the Spanish law seeks to do: to "culturally be extended far beyond our Monkeysphere", as you put it. And yet, you are unwilling to extend this right not to be arbitrarily shot. Why? Your line is arbitarily drawn at the species barrier, for no good reason I can see.

This is an obfucatory rationalisation. Can't you see your own hypocrisy here?

On the one hand, you get to feel warm and fuzzy inside because you believe you "extend certain rights in a degenerate form to the deer". But these rights are degenerate to the extent that they aren't real rights at all. No deer has the right not to be shot arbitrarily by a human being (ignoring some conservation laws, which are ultimately for human benefit). So, what rights does it have? In effect, none that matter. Without basic rights, all other rights are illusory. They are conveyed only to the extent that somebody decides they are convenient at the time.

And you put up "because venison tastes good" as some kind of defence of this status quo?

The distinction is unimportant. Whether you really eat steak for nutritional reasons (which I greatly doubt) or because of pleasure or tradition (much more likely), the fact that you do this denies cattle basic rights. Your assumption that your rights are more important than the rights of the cow still needs to be put on some defensible footing.

Er... that is agreeing, not disagreeing.

Yes. But those situations are vastly different from you taking your gun and shooting a deer which is not threatening you in any way. Can you spot the difference?

Human infants and disabled people are not "equals" to human adults, and cannot take equal responsibility for upholding rights and the law. Yet you agree that they have basic rights, such as the right not to be arbitrarily shot.

You have a clear double standard here, as I said before.

I didn't say it was ok for one chimpanzee to kill another. But it does not follow that I have a right to prevent one chimp from killing another.

Humans are faced with ethical choices all the time.

What puzzles me is that you think it is ok for a human being, such as yourself, to arbitrarily kill a chimpanzee.

Should you not order your own house first, before worrying about the affairs of other creatures? After all, it is you who has the ultimate power to determine your own actions, whilst your control over other people is limited.

I was right, wasn't I? You live in a city with almost no animal contact, except perhaps for household pets. You need to get out more.

What you fail to appreciate, or at least to worry much about, is that it is humans who are largely responsible for species decline at present. With rights come responsibilities, you say. Then what is our human responsibility to the animals we share our planet with? Nothing much, you say. At least you're consistent.

I do not want to live in a world without wild tigers, blue whales, pandas, bilbies, rainbow lorikeets etc. etc. Clearly it wouldn't bother you if humans wiped out all these creatures tomorrow. Unless, of course, you were hungry for a juicy steak.

20. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

I literally laughed out loud there.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's too bad Peter Singer founded the project. I am now antithetical to the whole idea because of previous readings of that buffoon's work. But a mere cursory reading allowed me to be distanced from the goodly vincent in terms of ignorance.

EDIT: I can't believe he is a Princeton professor of bioethics. Maybe I should dig up some excerpts to show just what his stances are. Unbelievable!

21. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Hey, amazingly, I agree. Almost.
    Apes should be given similar, but not the exact same right as humans. Protect them from cruelty and from going extinct, yes, but there are of course certain rights humans have that an ape cannot, mainly due to their own physiology.
    But the simply fact is, apes such as chimps and gorillas are evolutionally closer to us than other animal alive today. They deserve at least some modicum of special protection compared to, say, swines.

22. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

I already explained the origins of human rights in terms of benefits to human society and, ultimately, the individual human.
    Of course it is unsurprising. We need food to live.
    Untrue. For instance, in the case of bull-fighting, the interest of the bull to avoid suffering outweighs the interests of the audience to be so entertained, in my opinion.
    Hunting is what we did before raising livestock. I don't see that there's a great enough difference between them to support one and not the other: They ultimately end with killing the animal and eating it.
    You're not listening, are you? It is detrimental to human society, and ultimately myself, if we don't have ground rules which makes it safe for us to work together.
    A human child will grow up and assume those responsibilities once it is an adult. Cows and apes will not.
    Treating it as an object suggests treating it as we see fit in every circumstance.
    That suggests that your morality is a good measure of what is, and isn't good for human society. I disagree. Good measures are things like lifetime expectancy, infant deaths, disease frequency, population etc. "Setting a bad example" is a hopelessly subjective measure.
    But then you're saying that humans are special and that we therefore are justified in differentiating between humans and great apes. You can't have it both ways.
    No. You don't seem to understand: Everybody gets those rights, even the infirm and elderly, even babies, because it is a more optimal choice than having to protect ourselves against everybody else. Those who are able to take responsibility must do so.
    No, you apparently can't see. There's the very good reason to draw the line at humans that the rights originated within human society for explicitly human benifit. They're there for cultural and evolutionary purposes: It makes us more fit to the environment. If you want to extend it beyond humans, you have to explain where you want the line to be drawn and why. It's not good enough to say "Let's do this first and worry about the rest later." Where do you want the line to be drawn?
    No. I already admitted that my interests take precedence. That's how things are in nature - any species that chooses otherwise goes extinct.
    Well, yes. The conditions under which we would take away the deer's rights are different than those wrt. humans.
    If I don't eat food I die. I don't want to die. Defensible enough for you?
    I was disagreeing that animal welfare was a sham.
    Yes, of course. However, that doesn't invalidate the argument. I still need food to live. If that makes is defensible for a lion to kill a gazelle, why isn't it true for humans?
    No, because you're still thinking in individuals. The rights apply to individuals for the benefit of the species (originally groups/tribes/societies). Even those individuals which are not up to the task of the responsibility because they either will be (as in the case of infants), or they already have (as with many disabled people.)
    Why not? If you support the notion that it is evil enough for a human to kill a chimpanzee to warrant punishment, on the grounds of the interest of the chimpanzee, why won't you protect the interest of the chimpanzee to not be arbitrarily killed by another chimpanzee? It seems to be a particularly hollow kind of right you want to extend to the chimpanzees. In fact, you're not really interested in their rights, are you?
    Did I say that? Did I say that it was ok to arbitrarily kill a chimpanzee? No, I didn't.
    You think that "You need to get out more." somehow invalidates my argument? If you want to stick with your romantic notion of nature, that's fine by me. But don't patronize me if you can't defend your ideal: It's unbecoming.
    You speak of this as if this is somehow a bad thing in and of itself. How much do you really know about evolution? (Note: I'm not advocating the extinction of species by this.)
    I hope so, yes.
    You're very persistent in ascribing me motives I have not expressed support for. I didn't say that I wanted to live in a world without those animals, nor did I say that we should wipe them out: I have as deep a cultural affection for them as you. I would find it saddening to recite "Tiger, Tiger" without any actual tigers alive. I just said that their extinction is inevitable, and that I will not weep for that in itself. Unlike you, I realize that the status quo is not special, not especially worthy of preservation, and indeed that such a stasis is not even theoretically possible. If you want to fight evolution, if you want to fight nature, that is your choice. But be aware that you will lose. And if you're doing it in a way that is harmful to the survival of the species (and therefore my genetic lineage, by extension: me), then I will fight you.

23. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

This is our peaceful monkeys?

The Predatory Behavior and Ecology of Wild Chimpanzees
    My own preconception was that hunting must be nutritionally based. After all, meat from monkeys and other prey would be a package of protein, ...
    http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html

Boston.com / News / Nation / Ferocity of chimpanzee attack stuns ...
    Ferocity of chimpanzee attack stuns medics, leaves questions ... ''I had no idea a chimpanzee was capable of doing that to a human," said Kern County Fire ...
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/03/06/ferocity_of_chimpanzee_attack_stuns_medics

'Drunk-and-Disorderly' Chimpanzees
    Ugandan wildlife officials say cases of chimpanzee attacks on humans, particularly children, have been minimised in recent years after extensive buffer ...
    http://www.primates.com/chimps/drunk-n-disorderly.html

BBC - Science & Nature - Articles - Chimps and humans in conflict
    Human Body & Mind ... But the attacks continued. The most recent 'killer' chimp in the area, Kiki, has killed one child and maimed two others. ...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/features/325feature1.shtml

9(1)-06
    A Chimpanzee Attacks and Kills a Security Guard in Kigoma ... some visiting tourists about these apparently nasty encounters between chimps and humans. ...
    http://mahale.web.infoseek.co.jp/PAN/9_1/9(1)-06.html