Space elevators?!?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by orcot, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Singularity Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

SINGULARITY THIS THREAD IS ABOUT Space Elevators!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

... no you've posted a alternative, a other alternative (possibly cheaper) way to get in space however it's as different from a space elevator as chemical rockets sutch if you wan't do discus it why don't make a new threat?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Singularity Banned Banned

First , i dont believe in threats, instead i take direct actions

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Second, please read this thread again, SpaceElevators have been debunked; Replaced with AirShip that take JetCraft to near space and then the JetCraft takes off into space and attaches to the tethers.

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Exactly.

9. Singularity Banned Banned

What !

10. draqon Banned Banned

stoP discussing some balloons/Planes in a sPace ELEVATOR THREAD.

11. Singularity Banned Banned

Dont make a fool out of yourself

First read the thread and try to understand why SpaceEvelvator was Debunked.

It will be clear why these post are here, they are infact about the space elevator.

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Exactly.

13. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Space elevator has so many enormous practical engineering problems on ( over? ) a planet like Earth that it will not happen as a utilitarian device. A technology abvanced enough to build one would be so abvanced that there would be many other ways, all much more efficient, to get into orbit so that an orbit elevator would only be an amusement, like a Ferris wheel or a merry go round.

14. Singularity Banned Banned

Originally Posted by draqon
    stoP discussing some balloons/Planes in a sPace ELEVATOR THREAD.

Eat this,

Actual photo, clearly NASA know people are stupid.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  15. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Your point?

16. Singularity Banned Banned

17. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Blimp can carry rocket to 100,000 feet or higher; advantage of doing so is to get above virtually all atmospheric drag before starting engine. But, still have to use most of fuel to fight gravity before attaining orbital velocity.

Advantage of mythological orbit elevator is to supposedly get orbital velocity simply by walking up really long spiral stair to orbit altitude ( and velocity ).

Guess what. You don't get orbit velocity on an orbit elevator until you get way up there to geostationary orbit altitude. That's many, many, many thousands of miles up there.

You don't go many, many, many thousands of miles straight up for free. You have to pay many, many, many Joules for the fun.

I don't like the idea of riding the Russian jet to 50,000 feet. I like the idea of riding a blimp to 150,000 feet and then starting the motor.

You like chocolate. I like butterscotch.

18. Singularity Banned Banned

Hey CANGAS, good u came back to SciForums. There is a severe shortage of intelligent people here.

If u read this long thread, u will notice that we came to conclusion that rotating tether is better than climbing the elevator kept outside earths atmosphere.

Hence i was thinking of a Hydrogen elevated giant Airship that takes a JetCraft above or near edge of atmosphere. And then that JetCraft makes a short trip to the nearest solar powered rotating tether , so no more space traveling expenses

19. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

CANGAS ashameadly confesses to not reading long thread prior to posting.

Rotating tether must be anchored on Earth surface and must have enough mass far enough away from surface to generate enough centrifugal force to overcome gravity. Tough job and big practical engineering problems.

If tether hangs down from satellite in geostationary orbit, then plenty of big problems. Forget it. Centrifugal force throws it higher. It doesn't hang down.

If tether is anchored on surface and attached to satellite in geostationary orbit, enormous practical engineering problems in getting it erected.

Goal of venture is not just to be in orbit. Goal is to then accelerate to escape velocity and go on to Moon or Mars or other delightful destinations for vacation or whatever. So, flight strategy is to leave surface and get to escape velocity using least amount of fuel. Only real variable is amount of fuel wasted by atmospheric drag. Whether climbing up really high spiral stair or roaring up on rocket, same amount of Joules needed to get up there if disregard air drag.

So why not ride a blimp to 150,000 and then light it up?

OK, you like big Russian jet and I like blimp. Like I say, you like chocolate and I like butterscotch.

20. orcot Valued Senior Member

This is not a space shuttle it's a Russian buran. That is moved from it's storage point to the launching pad.

Basicly your ID isn't verry bad but the quistion remains on how large the rocket chould be a basic ariane 5 weights as much as 700 ton. The weights would be greatly reduced but your still proberly going to have to carry 1/2 of the weight, so your still with a +300 ton primairy vehicle. Then depending on how high you would like to launch their is the obvious size of the secondairy vehicle do not forget that a balloon is filled with hydrogen (= explosive).
    Anyway the most economic is that the rocket no longer needs to start of with a 100% verticale clime. But it's still going to need to gather most of it's speed. Aftherall getting high is not the problem getting up to speed to stay in orbit is.

21. Singularity Banned Banned

Greate.

How much weight do u want to put up there ?

We will have to create AirShips much much bigger than that if humans want to conquer space.

Why do u think so ?

What is secondary ? Its just a powerful Plane.

It can be designed to be explosive proof (along with robust testing).

The speed depends on the speed of the rotating tether rather than escape velocities. I dont know what will that be, if the lower end of tether is going opposite of the orbital direction.

22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

why dont they create huge orbital space stations like the one we have already but massive in size, also capable of building and launching spacecraft from the actual station itself so you dont have to fight any type of gravitational pull on blastoff,

the station could sustain life and have its own eco system, huge solar panels could be build in orbit to soak up the suns rays for power. plants and trees could be grown in mass number inside, exo skeleton resistance suits could be created for people to wear.

i think having a permanent outpost in space would be the way forward if we want to conqour it, stop comming back down to earth all of the time,

peace,

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

this is crappy and outdated.

thats more like it,

or even this,