Some problems with light speed barrier.

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by RawThinkTank, May 2, 2004.

?

Do you belive in light speed barrier ?

1. Yes

51.0%
  2. No

23.5%
  3. Its an alien conspiracy to stop us claiming their space.

13.7%
  4. It will be broken just like Sound barrier.

27.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MacM Registered Senior Member

Pete,

I disagree with your opinion on this. I happen to think the universe backgroud at large is much more signifigant than James's banana on a table.

We agree but that doesn't make it make sense to claim we will reference the balance of the universe to a banana on a table. It is more logical to reference the banana on the table to the universe background and everythingelse to that same common reference.

We agree. For local relative velocity it is more convenient to not relate both to the CMBR but to each other. However convience should never be a preference over overall validity of a measure.

Again we agree but the Red/Blue shift is a true indication (at least we think it is) of relative velocity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

My point is that a measure of velocity relative to the CMB has no greater validity than the measure of velocity relative to a banana. Both are equally valid.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacM Registered Senior Member

James R.,

I have to agree that both are equally valid. However, I do think referring lesser objects to the universe at large is more correct than referring objects and the universe at large to some other lesser object. It is only because referring to the universe at large is more difficult by not being a direct measure that we tend to do things differently.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chazman O.D.I.T.S.-S.T.T. Registered Senior Member

Well, simply put it this way ,, once you are able to reach the speed of light.
    Your mass will no longer swell. as you pass light speed,, then decrease ,,,,, original size ?
    The decrease in size, coupled with your already energy to get with those speeds will then project you even faster.... there you have it !

8. Chazman O.D.I.T.S.-S.T.T. Registered Senior Member

Your mass will no longer swell. as you pass light speed,, then decrease ,,,,, original size ?
    The decrease in size, coupled with your already energy to get with those speeds will then project you even faster.... there you have it !

9. Chazman O.D.I.T.S.-S.T.T. Registered Senior Member

10. HallsofIvy Registered Senior Member

"At speed of light why wont there be any more acceleration , meaning : Why there wont be any further opposite reaction on a space ship that is thrusting matter in opposite direction at an enormous rate in order to gain more speed. Is it as if god wont allow it ?"

The question misses the point. It isn't correct to say that "at the speed of light there won't be any more acceleration". The only thing that moves AT the speed of light is light itself (well, more generally, things with 0 mass). Everything else (everything with a mass) can be accelerated toward the speed of light. Since the massd increases with speed, no matter what force you use, it will never be enough to get TO the speed of light- always accelerating, but with, for example a constant force, that acceleration decreases as you approach the speed of light.

11. Chazman O.D.I.T.S.-S.T.T. Registered Senior Member

Please reread what I wrote.
    There will be acceleration, "a super sonic BURST of it.." WHY would God not allow
    This to happen ??? ALSO --> to say that everything with mass , decreases as
    you approach the speed of light, would be to say " soon everthing will come to a halt,
    Please read below......
    The decrease is the mass,, not your speed,, as you pass the speed of light,
    hence there will be less resistance, which will propell you even faster.
    remember back in the day when we were tring to reach the speed of sound ???
    they said, at 1st. it could not be done. what? now 3 times that ?
    when the sound barrier is broken there is a sonic BOOM! " A sound "
    It is a RUFF ride just before the BOOM then things smooth out....
    somewhat true for breaking the light barrier as well, BUT NOW there is a
    sonic BURST.... THIS is at what point light barrier is broken, AND MASS will smoothout and no longer increase..

12. Chazman O.D.I.T.S.-S.T.T. Registered Senior Member

Please reread what I wrote.
    There will be acceleration, "a super sonic BURST of it.." WHY would God not allow
    This to happen ??? ALSO --> to say that everything with mass , decreases as
    you approach the speed of light, would be to say " soon everthing will come to a halt,
    Please read below......
    The decrease is the mass,, not your speed,, as you pass the speed of light,
    hence there will be less resistance, which will propell you even faster.
    remember back in the day when we were tring to reach the speed of sound ???
    they said, at 1st. it could not be done. what? now 3 times that ?
    when the sound barrier is broken there is a sonic BOOM! " A sound "
    It is a RUFF ride just before the BOOM then things smooth out....
    somewhat true for breaking the light barrier as well, BUT NOW there is a
    sonic BURST.... THIS is at what point light barrier is broken, AND MASS will smoothout and no longer increase..

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Was that supposed to be some sort of cracked-out poem or something?