Some answers to Toroid Fusion Questions

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by erich_knight, Nov 5, 2004.

1. erich_knight Erich J. Knight Registered Senior Member

Dear Folks:

After posting to several Science, physics and Energy forums I collected up comments (none from here! ) and questions and asked Clint Seward , president of Electron Power Systems, to respond:

"Your most important point was that others have suggested that I should be
    able to demonstrate a collision of EST's and even a level of fusion with a
    few hundred thousand dollars and about a year. I agree. Here is what I
    need to do:

1. Capture the EST in a way that I can measure them. I have designed a
    method in the last two months that will do this.
    2. Measure the density of the EST. This requirement is something everyone
    is asking for, and will enable me to get serious funding from sponsors.
    3. Collide two EST's. I have found a simple way to do this based on the
    TRISOPS work by Wells.
    4. Consulting work by Chen to verify the physics I have outlined for the
    density.
    5. Make and measure an EST based on Deuterium.
    6. Collide two Deuterium EST's.

Each of these requires some cash outlays, so I am working them as I can get
    resources. Several people, including yourself, are considering helpful
    investments of $5k to $10k to 25K to 50K to 100k. Work will progress with
    any investment, no matter how small. Capturing an EST is a $5k investment.

Your second most important point is that more people want to see more data
    and even a video. I have many of these, but have not published them yet. I
    have concentrated on the physics, which I feel I now know completely, and
    can get confirmed. This is a smaller effort, about $15k.

You suggested an article from the SF Chronicle that you might send. Please
    do.

Again, thanks for the call.

Clint Seward"

Also Eric Lerner of Focus Fusion sent this report on his progress:

"Dear friend of Focus Fusion,

<>Thanks for your support of and interest in Focus Fusion. <>

I’m writing you to update you on our Focus Fusion project and to ask for your help. As you may know from our website or newsletter, this year we came very close to winning a $2 million grant from the Advanced Technology Program of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), US Dept. of Commerce. The grant is to develop the dense plasma focus as a powerful x-ray source for infrastructure inspection, but the research involved is essentially the same as that required to reach fusion break-even. While NIST gave us high marks for the technical proposals and we passed Gate 1 of their procedure, we failed Gate 2, which judged the financial side of the plan. In the de-briefing, the NIST representatives assured us that we had an excellent chance of getting the grant in 2005 if we corrected some problems in our business submission.
    First, they said we needed more proof that we had tried to raise the $2 million privately and from other government agencies and were unable to. Second, since they will not fund facility rent, considering this an indirect expense, they needed to see pledges from investors that they would cover this cost for at least the first year, in the event the grant was awarded. We estimate that this will involve a maximum of $100,000. In addition, they wanted more evidence that state departments of transportation and other final customers would actually want the x-ray scanner if we succeed. (We have already started to receive these assurances. I’ve attached one from the California DOT.)

<>Finally, they did say that they expected to see at least some small technical progress during the period since our last application in January, even though they realized that this would be limited by available funding. <>

So I am writing you to ask you to do one of three things, any of which would be helpful to us. First, I would like to ask you to consider investing in Lawrenecville Plasma Physics, Inc.(LPP)’s x-ray source project. (NIST rules require this money go to a for-profit, rather than not-for-profit entity, so we applied on behlaf of LPP, not Focus Fusion Society). I’ve attached a summary of the project. This project contributes immensely to the development of focus fusion, but it also has a lower risk, and a faster prospect of financial return. Your investment will contribute in three ways: first, it will help to finance the small new simulation we will carry out to optimize x-ray production, increasing our chances of winning the NIST grant. Second, in the event we do win the NIST grant, it will aid us in accomplishing the project. While we believe we can succeed with $2 million, unexpected contingencies are always possible in research and more money is useful. Third, this money can go toward the $100,000 that we need for the first year’s facility rent. You can see LPP's overall business plan at our website, www.lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.com. <>

Investments can be made by purchasing LPP non-voting shares at $120 a share in minimum blocks of 25 shares. By SEC regulations, to make this investment you must be an “accredited investor” which means that you have one million dollars in net worth (house included) or an income of $200,000 dollars year. <>

If you can not make an investment in this project now, I would very much appreciate your sending me a letter, on your letterhead, explaining very briefly why you can’t do this (too high risk, insufficient funds available, not an accredited investor, etc.) We can use these letters as proof that we can’t raise $2 million from private sources in our next NIST application, so they are very important. You can send these letters either as hard copy to our new address: LPP, 11 Calvin Terrace, West Orange NJ 07052, or to my email address as a PDF file. This will only take you a few minutes, but is going to be invaluable to us. <>

Third, you can make a contractual pledge to provide all or part of the $100,000 that we need to cover our first year facility rent in the event that we are awarded the NIST grant. This money will only be due IF we get the $ 2 million grant and are thus assured the funds we need to do the job. Again, this investment will be in the form of the purchase of LPP shares and will be subject to the same “accredited investor” restriction. <>

I hope that you will be able to help us in one of these three ways. I look forward to your response. Feel free to contact me by email or at 973-736-0522. <>

Warm regards, Eric J. Lerner <>
    President
    Lawrenceville Plasma Physics, Inc. "