Solution to the P versus NP problem

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Nicholas I. Hosein, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Nicholas I. Hosein Banned Banned

It seems that P = NP. That an answer that is easy to solve is also easy to verify by running it through an algorithm in polynomial time. :bravo:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

So where is the proof that P = NP?

"It seems that" doesn't cut it.

Oops, this is the SciFi & Fantasy section.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Nicholas, not entirely sure what you are going for here mate... you may want to clarify a bit. The P=NP problem has a 1 million dollar prize attached for anyone who can solve it definitively... so if you have a solution, you would want to present it to, say the Clay Mathematics Institute

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Incidentally I moved the initial thread from Computer Science & Culture.

While indeed the problem exists, it's also a problem that was often referred to through the "Numbers" series as being something that the main mathematician character was always drawn back to attempting to solve between cases. (Why I moved it to the Scifi section

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'd be the first to admit I'm not that mathematically versed, however I have an image to share that might be something or it could be a whole lot of nothing... either way I won't know unless it's out there in the Public Domain.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This simple pyramid I've used to express iterations of time (t) with the increase or decrease of nodes depending on the path taken from P or NP. The nodes are simple bit operators, in the sense that there is only one of two choices per node in either direction. (Nodes in this instance are intersections of isometric triangles)

P working down is only allowed to move one choice at a time with the intention of the goal of NP.

NP is actually the whole line of potential nodes removing one false node every iteration with the intention of being left with P.

There are two shadings applied one is a blue hue to express the path route for correct NP node up, while the red/purple hue is the potential paths down for P to attempt. you'll notice the increase in "Margin for error" is expressed in red, it's where P's path could be wrong and require back tracing to continue.

*IF* (and that's a big IF since 3 or so hours ago I didn't know anything of the problem) this is correct, then P is Greater than NP (P > NP) in regards to Time.

9. Nicholas I. Hosein Banned Banned

How about this, "yes indeed".