Solipsism is entirely illogical

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Tnerb, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tnerb Banned Banned

This is only to get feed back to the nonsense position I am going to give.

It makes no sense that the only reality is mine. It holds no ground on a logical standpoint from more than one perspective of course. There are greater standpoints and smaller, but one of the smaller is such:

Relationship anxiety has a source.

Tell me, how does it exactly make sense from a logicial perspective?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

i understand the above. the rest needs an elaboration or a rephrase

imagine i torture you horribly. my reality assures me of that particular outcome
    it thus makes no sense that you would inflict such pain on yourself by creating that particular scenario

infact, it is like the tired old refrain of a benevolent god/existence of suffering. why would a master of one's own destiny torture oneself?

i agree, its nonsense
    -------------------

that was too easy
    am i missing a dynamic or two?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tnerb Banned Banned

Yes why of course there must be that one dynamic; and I think that it actually exists. Sometimes I do think about it. The only logical idea, from a strictly meathod point of view; say we are a rationalist (this is just to test my thought). The rationalists are those who examine with the idea or whatever or something like this. From a strictly point of view which says that they the only thing which is logicial is that this makes sense, then thats all that makes sense and it's all thats 'possible'.
    anyway, I am busy at the time, lets hope someone can clarify what it is that the 'rationalists' are talking about, or whatnot

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Oh, it does make sense. It's a form of "Pinch me! I can't believe this is real!" scenario.

8. Tnerb Banned Banned

You must be joking :/

9. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Its that thing of 'i think therefore i am' innit.
    You can only really be aware of your own mind and interiority, and honestly sometimes there's enough jungian synchronicities and counter-reactive coincidences going on in my life i could honestly well believe that the universe really *is* some kind of faux-external creation of mine.
    But even beyond solipsism, its still quite mind-blowing to consider that you dont really 'know' anyone or anything, you can infer out of your arse of course but thats not the same as knowing.
    As the Robert Anton Wilson quote goes 'I have never experienced another human being. I only have experienced my impressions of them'.
    And i really think it takes alot of thought to actually fully appreciate the implications of something like that, we really are utterally alone in our private world of inferences and assumptions.

10. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

How many times do you actually 'allow' yourself to get the girl/dream-home/line of cocaine/fuck-off birthday cake in your dreams though?
    I dunno maybe im just uniquely masochistic but i always seem to bring myself to the point of attainment then conjour up some ad-hoc circumstance that safley ensures i dont actually get the thing that i want.

OMG HELIO STOP ARGUING WITH YOURSELF.

oke:

11. Gustav Banned Banned

i say!
    you wake up!

hmm
    must ponder

12. Tnerb Banned Banned

That is precisely the stand up defination I was looking for durring my period of a brain fart! It is precisely that "rationalistic" thing which I was speaking of: The internal "I think therefore I am thing", which attains to "simply yourself" and... what is the 'exact' proof of it though? And where is the 'exact entire fallacy of solphism'? It makes sense for you to consider that it is entirely ... here I go again.

You know what I think solphism might well save some people from insanity.

But it is entirely incorrect, because there involves ideas beyond the self. Simply you've got to prove that there is something beyond simply the self (which might seem pretty easy to do)... lol..

Anyway. If anybody at all cares to do these things can you please explain why you even bother to think about these things. I tought my self philosophy. And I don't know why I did. Or why anyone would even bother to think about these things. Maybe they have a better grasp on them beause of the reason that they wasn't tryign to achieve their goals (sigh).

13. Gustav Banned Banned

helio

ah
    this subjective reality does not equate to a dream state. dreams are a component of it. assigning all unpleasant events to the dream state is bogus and is indicative of insanity
    an interesting insight nevertheless

14. Gustav Banned Banned

lemme eyeball that popular lament....one can never experience being a ________________.
    a what? plant? stone? helio? exi?

fuck!
    why would i wanna?
    my spin strangely satisfies

/happy to be me

15. Tnerb Banned Banned

I can guarentee you gustav, that the actual reality is at its heart centered around the self (for the most part), and it is of course entirely inescapable (even for you)

assigning all unpleasant events to the dream state is bogus and is indicative of insanity
    an interesting insight nevertheless

This is where your insight gets yourself some insight.
    ... LOL
    The point is that, ... you must examine it for yourself. Because my reality is the only reality... seriously. Refute it. Please.

LOL
    Go on. Look at the presented material! I am no smuck.

16. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Well assuming i was an out-right solipsist id probably say that the first line is circluar reasoning which doesnt state exactly why the initial statement should be true atall.
    The second line i dont really understand - in what way is assigning unpleasent events to certain dreams 'bogus'?
    Not that i was really doing that anyway, i was just illustating that our minds (in the dream state) can quite happily and readily set up incidents in which we suffer. Which effectively nullifies the 'reality must be external to consciousness because why would a person knowingly subject themselves to unpleasent events' line of reasoning.

yigetmi blud?

17. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I noticed this too, I wonder how come this happens. I think it's because we still have some connection to reality. That is, since the happenings in the daydream aren't actually happening, this realistic fact gets interpreted in the daydream as "not getting what you want".

Not getting the girl in the daydream, stands for actually not getting the girl.

18. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

But this feels frightening and threatening only if we maintain notions like "I exist as an absolute entity", "I am clearly delineated from others", "I have an absolute self". It's notions like these that lead to solipsistic insanity.

If we wouldn't maintain such notions, we wouldn't feel alone.

19. Gustav Banned Banned

there is a fundamental assumption i project into any of my discussions and that is the assumption of rationality unless noted otherwise. we can then discuss the logic involved to resolve

what i hold to be a subjective reality is for the most part an objective one. the distinctions are slight and rather mundane.

as of now we have 4 (me, helio, exi and green) subjective realities in this thread and 16 posts, this included.

how strange. rather than wildly divergent realities that would rate a comment, i see a shared reality. i would go out on a limb and call it pretty fucking objective as far as the 4 subjective realities are concerned

mmmm. sounds outrageous until it is noted that we are actually communicating. the obvious common ground being a shared language and the semantics and the conceptualization that underlies each and every word presented here.

for instance...... "alone". how is it a dic def of the term came about to be? do we 4 dispute the given meaning(s)? lets find out?

now, your reality and mine. what distinctions are actually being maintained here. is it; a world view established by intellect, differences due the peculiarities of individual biologies or perceptions resulting from unique psychological and cultural factors?

mix and match if required

some examples. to the first....god/whatnot. to the second...color blindness and the third,, the day just seems to drag on and on and on.

oh dear. that is rude. i see an imposition on my part. lemme rectify by availing to all, the opportunity to present their own unique subjective realities and why distinctions are being emphasized. lets contrast our individual realities and establish the validity and necessity of the distinctions being maintained. perhaps then we can move on to ....common ground aka objective reality

ja?
    nein?

20. Gustav Banned Banned

social science muckrakers aka Data versus Conventional Wisdom

not alternate realities but just illogical reasoning. one has been denied the attribute of uniqueness and instead, been conferred, one of stupidity

21. Gustav Banned Banned

pardon the digress
    i shall attend to tp in a ....jiffy

22. Tnerb Banned Banned

Sounds like a lot of fun

When I have the time 2 get back to this interesting thread I'll post something..

23. Gustav Banned Banned

deleted profanity

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.