Solar Wave

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by akabrutus, Oct 5, 2018.

1. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

They were talking about sun quakes probably. Using the frequency of the waves on the sun resulting from a sun quake the scientists used an algorithm to make sounds based on the waves. No actual sounds have been recorded from the sun.
    It is interesting.
    From Wikipedia:
    Aurora noise, similar to a hissing, or crackling noise, begins about 70 m (230 ft) above the Earth's surface and is caused by charged particles in an inversion layer of the atmosphere formed during a cold night. The charged particles discharge when particles from the Sun hit the inversion layer, creating the noise.[28][29]

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Which is, again, not sound from the Sun.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Agreed. I have some friends from Alaska and they said you can hear the aurora, to which I was VERY skeptical because I know how high in the atmosphere the auroras are produced. So it makes much more sense after looking at the Wiki entry that the sound is from charged particles hitting an inversion layer very close to the ground.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, though even if it were from the aurora, that's at least Earth, not on the other side of 93 million miles of vacuum.