Solar oven

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by nukem, Mar 7, 2003.

1. nukem Banned Banned

Does any one have info on solar oven or how to make them?
    its for a science project.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Lordy nukem,

been 35+ years since I did this. I will try to remember. Also used to have plans for solar hot water heaters, ect.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nukem Banned Banned

thanks for the help i would like to see those plans.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Hey wet1,

Have a copy of the Whole Earth catalog around?
    If I remember correctly they had a couple of solar
    oven designs.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Those got lost in moving, quite some time ago. I did used to have a copy. It will be a while before I get home to see if I can find these plans. It may be that I have to reconstruct them from memory.

One that I can give right away from memory is a solar water maker for survival. It goes as follows...

Dig a hole in a sunny area. Line the hole with a tarp. Place a small pan to catch the reclaimed water in the center of the hole. Place green leaves from foilage around the sides of the hole. Place a clear piece of plastic over the hole and cover the outer edges with soil that you removed in digging the hole. Place a small rock, a piece of bark, or some other weighty item to cause the plastic to sag over the pan.

The sun will bake the water out of the leaves. Condensation will form on the underside of the plastic and run to the center, where the weight is. From there it will drip into the pan.

Replace the leaves when draining the pan. This will not make huge amounts of water. The water it does make will be fresh and will not have contamination. It is enough to keep you alive when there is no source of water readily available.