soda power

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by bgjyd834, Apr 26, 2011.

1. bgjyd834 Registered Member

a friend of mine told me that they can now turn soda into gasoline which i guess makes some sense i know some basic hs chem so i hypothesized that that reaction might look something like this
    c6h12o6--------->3ch4+3CO2
    is something like this possible? to convert a carbohydrate into a hydrocarbon?
    and could it be used as a fuel?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Soda? C[sub]6[/sub]H[sub]12[/sub]O[sub]6[/sub] is the molecular formula for Glucose.

I take it that by soda you mean carbonated water.. The formula you're looking for would be H[sub]2[/sub]CO[sub]3[/sub].

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scishark Registered Member

don't really see how that coupld happen

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. siphra Registered Senior Member

Since CO2 is the lowest energy point of consumption of organics, we can't be talking about the carbonation of water. There are sugars which are consumable (forms of alcohols) that could be burned or perhaps converted either by catalytic or enzyme(biology) into a more volatile compounds. But there aren't a lot of them in drinking sodas. NaHCO3 and Na2CO3 are both not good options as they would take in energy to turn them into some form of fuel.

In fact this is going to be the problem with (most) organics. It takes time, heat and pressure to turn the organics into good fuels.

It might be possible (as I mentioned) to turn a larger organic into a smaller one for fuel, like sugars (C5H7O(OH)5 & C6H7O(OH)5) [if you prefer cleaner notation : C5H12O6 and C6H12O6 or simply fructose and glucose.] into smaller fuels like methane and butane, not sure of a process that currently does it but in principle at least it's possible.