So theres no way to stop a car if the gas pedal gets stuck?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by KennyJC, Oct 13, 2009.

1. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Yes, I understand.

The damage that could occur could might be so minimal that it hardly has any effect on it's life. So my point was that it's not ideal to rev the crap out of your engine but it most likely will not have that much impact.

If it's sudden you will know, if it's not, you won't be able to pinpoint anything unless you tear the engine down.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

But you felt perfectly justified in calling them dumb, didn't you?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

it depends. here is what happened to me:

driving a 5 speed turbo coupe, pay a toll and floor it. com to a sharp turn and the pedal stays down. revs are up of course with a clutch all you have to do is hit the clutch and watch it redline. so i knew right away what happened, pretty much anyway. while steering through the turn i pushed down on clutch and moved the mat out of the way.

with an automatic i may try and put it in neutral, but like i said i knew the pedal did not come back. one thing to do is always check that there is no way for the mat to move down and cover the pedal.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I've never tried it myself, but it's pretty conventional wisdom.

http://mfes.com/suddenaccel.html

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/122660/article.html

I'd be interested in seeing that episode of Mythbusters.

8. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Having the car in neutral (or drive) doesnt make a difference. Its running the engine full blast for a long time (or full blast when its cold). People run their cars on the autoban really fast for miles and miles, day after day. Neutral will do the least damage, and least risk as you slow the car to a stop. If you've never driven a car where the power brakes are out, AND the power steering is out, you cant comprehend how difficult it is to stop and steer. These comments about ALL their force on the brakes and worried about ripping the steering column out are not exaggerations. That is what it feels like.

Sorry for the confusion.

I would suggest putting your car in neutral just sitting in your driveway with the brake on. Drive to neutral. Get a feel for it. If I remember right (been a while since I had auto trans) you dont even have to push the button thingy, it should just go into neutral with a tap (for the floor shift).

9. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

when i was 17..one of my first cars..drove behind the bowling alley and attempted to burn out,stomped on the gas pedal really hard..broke one of the springs on the carb. instantly there was full throttle and no release..stood on the brake with both feet to stop the car..of course after i stopped i put it in nuetral..(thats what panic does)

10. thinking Banned Banned

exactly , apply the brakes , come to a full stop , then shut the engine off

to shut of the engine before this , you would lose your brakes and steering ability

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh no, I know what it feels like.
    I once shut off the engine to safe fuel because I was running on fumes and I wanted to get to a small town to fuel up. In my defense, I just had my license and I don't know much about cars anyway..
    I decided to do this because the village was in a valley, so I figured I could get there just rolling..
    Of course the road was kind of curvy.. you see where I'm going? lol
    Anyway, when I tried to brake for the corner not much happened and steering was out as well (it went in steering lock). Oh shit right? Right.. lol
    I started the car again and braked, but steering was still out. So I jerked on the steering wheel and it went out of lock.
    I still made it to the village by driving in high gear, but only just.

I have a couple more of these kind of car related stories about me behaving stupid, but I think I already lost enough respect with you guys

Anyway, what I wanted to say. If the guy was driving on the freeway, shutting off the engine could work. He could put on his alarm lights and just roll out without any problems.

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

some modern vechiles won't let you turn of the engine unless the car is in park

13. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Yeah... thats what it feels like

14. iori57 Registered Member

I drives an auto and I uses "N" all the time, everytime I stop in front of traffic light I'll put it to "N"