So MTV edited out Eminem being a bitch...

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by You Killed Jesus, Sep 1, 2002.

1. You Killed Jesus 14/88 Registered Senior Member

At the VMA, Eminem was talking about beating up Moby or something. So everyone started booing Eminem.

In the re-run, they edited out the booing. That is really gay.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

hahaha. glad i saw the first.. and i must add.... it was great to show g-n-r. wish i would've listen to that guy and put a tape in the vcr. but hey. im sure it will be in constant broadcast for the next two weeks. its mtv.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

im glad he did it huh.... he has the balls to say what most of us are too woosey to say.... even though he might not mean it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

It's not about balls, it's about marketing. Eminem says anything which will either piss people off, or have them saying "he's honest", whatever will get his face in the news and sell him CDs. He wants your money.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Marshall ...

A friend of mine pointed out a few weeks ago, as relates Eminem specifically and the rap art in general: Yo, "Em", your name is "Marshall". Why is it that rappers are always about "keeping it real" unless "it" is themselves?

What I think is funny about it is that Eminem basically admitted that he was scared. Moby? So what if Marshall will hit a man with glasses? All it really shows is that real musicians scare Eminem sh@tless.

And why is it that anyone who talks so much about themselves as Eminem is prone to do is courageous for "telling it like it is"?

Hey, You Killed Jesus--what does that mean, that it was "gay"? I mean, life is much happier without the booing, but we all could have done without Marshall in the first place.

I would like to thank all the dead-eyed, slack-jawed morons who made this possible. I hold the buyers of Eminem albums in the same esteem I hold the buyers of Milli Vanilli, Michael Bolton, Kenny G, or Vanilla Ice, among others. Thank you so much for helping keep our airwaves packed with crap.

Think of it this way--Americans make jokes about Germans because Germans apparently bought or buy David Hasselhof albums in droves.

Anyone looked at our pop charts lately?

And when you stop to think about that stupidity of the masses, just for kicks stop and think that the American masses also whittled their electoral choices down to Gore and Bush.

Oh, well. At least Marshall's not "Artist of the Millenium".

Five short steps to make your own Eminem album

(1) Press "RECORD" on tape recorder
    (2) Press "START" on drum machine
    (3) Whine like a baby for forty minutes
    (4) Pay a DJ friend to cut in samples of Miles Davis, Van Halen, and Slayer
    (5) Sit back and wonder if it wouldn't be easier to get paid to bitch if you were in Papa Roach

Soon enough, you too can be threatening people on national TV.

I disagree with the notion that Eminem says anything other people are too woozy to say. After all, it seems a better question as to why anyone pays for it? When I was in college, I could sit around and listen to my girlfriend's father threaten people, bash gays, and rip on women. And that didn't cost me a dime.

Whether it's the VMA, the Grammys, or just the Billboard Top 40, remember the mantra of pop music: I'm so cool. I'm just like everyone else. I'm so cool. I'm just like everyone else.

Think about the tastes of collectives. Look at what it really is you're paying for with Eminem. If he wants to make a statement about how tough he is, he ought to cut a burning Cadillac into pieces onstage with a chainsaw while wearing only a jockstrap.

When I heard Eminem's remarks on M2, all I could think was, We miss you Wendy, wherever you are.

Sad thing is that I'm not particularly upset at Marshall. Rather, if I bother to think about it, I'm more pissed at all the little spunkheads that buy his CD's and wear his hair.

Think about the tastes of collectives.

--Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Did Eminem give a reason for wanting to beat up Moby?

10. Saith Registered Senior Member

Wow tiassa, add some beats, try to rhyme some, and keep bitching like that and you might be able to make a whiny album like Eminem.

"Thank you so much for helping keep our airwaves packed with crap."

You're not required to listen to what is on the "airwaves". I don't watch MTV or listen to the radio.

11. BloodSuckingGerbile Master of Puppets Registered Senior Member

Tiassa, would you marry me?

12. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

-lol-.. but i thought.... mhh.. maybe im wrong..

anyhow..

he's an entertainer, not a religous leader. his job is to entertain. and when i listen.... i feel entertained. ..its always fun to listen to what he comes up with next.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

no- you're right, nightfall

14. ICARRYALOTOFBULLETS Quit smoking...:) Registered Senior Member

Did anyone ever notice that in all his songs he refers to himself constantly. Ego? Anyone...

15. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

yes. and i like his ego. its better than "boom boom boom, i gotta ho.. boom bom boom look at my dough..."

-wanders off giggling-

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Various stuff

Saith

Nah. You might notice how little I refer to myself in that post. It just wouldn't be "real" enough, you know?
    Well, duh. That's why I don't. I haven't listened to commercial radio for ten years. As a matter of fact, we found in Seattle that the more people decide not to listen to commercial radio stations, the more prominent and aggressive the stations become. Personally, music seems better when the people are allowed to like or dislike it, and not when the record company spends a bunch of money trying to incite radio stations and MTV to play the record more.

Gerbile

Really, I'm just horrible with laundry. I can cook, but that's about my only contribution to domestic bliss

Nightfall

What they come up with next: that's how I feel about a lot of artists in the world--writers, musicians, directors ....

But I'm curious as to what makes it so entertaining to listen to a guy whine about how cool he is and who he doesn't like.

I keep waiting for someone to walk up to him on the street and beat his head in. After all, it seems to be the thing to do when you don't like someone.

And, Nightfall, considering the comparison you offered, I might advise that you try listening to actual music sometime. When "ego" isn't what you're buying, I guarantee you a better music-listening experience. Try Belle and Sebastian's I'm Waking Up to Us; it's a CD-single (I think they call it an Ep, but there's an oft-abused designation) that doesn't cost a whole lot, features much musicality, and at least 2/3 of the lyrical content is about the character of "I". ("I need someone to take some joy in something I do" or "I love my car ...") You can have it both: ego and quality. Or the Sisters of Mercy ("I want more ... I need all the love I can get, and I need all the love that I can't get to ...")

Firefly

I had assumed it jealousy. He's outclassed by Moby, and I can imagine that Moby made an Eminem joke at some point. I would think the press trail on this would be huge, but that's how little I care as to not look it up. But if it's not envy, then I'm puzzled as to why Marshall would bother with the stunt. Maybe he's just that freakin' stupid.

In General

Most days I ignore Eminem. But when he threatens people on television in a desperate attempt to jack up his waning credibility, in a desperate attempt to give the image of "being real", I tend to let my thoughts be known when the subject comes up.

You know, I don't necessarily need for virtues to be "cool". I don't care what people talk about in their lyrics. But once, just once I would like to see the general public get behind good musicians when it's not by accident. Just once I would like to see good music be considered cool and real when it's not by sheer accident of the record companies' luck.

Yeah, it's selfish. And I do have to listen to those damn airwaves if I choose to enter the public sphere at all. It's not like I can escape it. I wonder when the Muzak Eminem is coming. After all, I used to hear really bad synth-string arrangements of Nirvana, Bowie, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and so forth, even Motley Crüe and Poison. And people wonder why I don't go out as much anymore.

And in the meantime, radio, a medium that has never met its full potential, continues to be wasted on the Eminems, Kid Rocks, and Destiny's Children ... anyone ever wonder how an album can be a "hit" before it's even released?

I tell you: if the music is good, they don't have to market it like that.

If I walk up to you and say, "You want to f--k me," what do you say?

On the other hand, if a record company walks up to you and says, "You will like this song," why do people just nod and say, "I will like this song ...."?

thanx,
    Tiassa

17. You Killed Jesus 14/88 Registered Senior Member

When I referred to the editing as "gay", I meant that this was a possibly career-killing move on his part, and MTV edited it to make it look like nothing happened. That marks my disapproval.

The sooner we can get rid of Eminem, the better. I personally hope he makes more disasterous PR moves.

18. Xev Registered Senior Member

I like this last mini-essay of yours, Tiassa.

I find Eminem over-hyped and more than a bit pathetic. He is like a child who picks fights just to get the attention.

19. BloodSuckingGerbile Master of Puppets Registered Senior Member

To hell with laundry!!!

Earth needs more people with your opinions.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A new definition?

Thank you, You Killed Jesus. I just needed clarification on that. It always puzzles me when people employ new, random definitions of words like that.

Unfortunately, it's only a career-killing move on Eminem's part if the people who listen to his music are intelligent enough to not worship selfishness.

Frankly, I don't think it was a career-killing move.

At best I could say he's trying to be Andy Kaufman. But I love Andy too much to think that true. If that was actually the case, then Marshall would be a little bit smarter (okay, a whole lot smarter) about how to do pull off such an imitation.

Xev ... why thank you

And I think you have it exactly right. Overhyped and childish form the mere tip of the stupid iceberg.

thanx,
    Tiassa

21. Saith Registered Senior Member

Guess you should have thrown in "and talk about yourself". But yeah, he does talk about himself a lot. Can't really say I've ever thought about it myself. But then again Im not a big fan of rap, so I rarely listen to Eminem.

Lol, I think we both know what I meant. Im quite sure that if you know how to post then you know how not watch TV or listen to the radio.

That's a huge overexaggeration.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Is it?

Saith
    Is it? If you watch closely, the record industry has a habit of advertising a "hit single" before it is even released. I noticed it with a Backstreet Boys album a couple of years ago, but it seems to me, in retrospect, that this has been going on for a long time. I think I noticed the same with Beyonce Knowles' single not too long ago.

Furthermore, there is a tradition in the record industry once known as payola. This is the practice of the record companies paying radio stations to give certain songs more airplay. What you're hearing on the radio is purchased advertising for a limited number of albums. It's still a problem, as documented in this 2001 Salon article. The online magazine has kept after the story. ABC's 20-20 has even tackled the story. What you hear in the Top 40 is essentially what people have paid for you to hear.

And when you stop to think about the rest of the pop music culture, it's dizzying. MTV tells you what's cool with a "buzz clip". MTV bans videos according to ideology. Think of what is acceptable on MTV and then watch Soundgarden's Jesus Christ Pose video and explain to me why that video was "inappropriate" for airplay. Socialite magazines and tabloids slobber all over the "stars", and record stores hand out free "magazines" containing mush articles on the latest pop rage.

Record companies tell people what to like. It's shocking how many of them just nod and put the money down. It reminds me of a Simpsons episode ... You are watching Fox .... ("We are watching Fox.")

A little bit about, for instance, my own favorite bands and where I hear them in the public sphere:

• Floater: not on the radio, not on MTV
    • Rheostatics: not on the radio, not on MTV
    • Clumsy Lovers: not on the radio, not on MTV
    • Boiled in Lead: not on the radio, not on MTV
    • Belle & Sebastian: public (college) radio, not on MTV

What I didn't hear versus what I did (at relevant and related times):

• Did NOT hear Rufus Wainwright; did hear Dylan's son (Wallflowers?) covering Bowie
    • Did NOT hear Screaming Trees; did hear Nelson
    • Do NOT hear Floater; do hear System of a Down, Puddle of Mudd, and a host of similar bands

Now, we can say what we want about people's opinions. Clumsy Lovers and Boiled in Lead--there's a couple of bands who would rarely make pop radio anyway. But the point is that there are actually better musicians and there is better music out there than what is popular. This would be just fine if it wasn't for the fact that when we, say, consider that second list, the reason I heard Dylan's kid covering Bowie, the reason I heard Nelson, and the reason I hear a bunch of poseur heavy bands on the airwaves is because the record companies are paying off the radio stations to play that stuff instead of Rufus Wainwright, Screaming Trees, or Floater. Think how it must feel for Floater, to be the best band in the state, possibly in three states, and not be able to get airplay in your own hometown.

One of my favorite social activities is to take a friend who doesn't hear much live music into the club scene, and watch their jaw drop. Most people don't know how much good music is in their own neighborhood, mostly because the record companies spend so much money, time, and effort convincing people that this or that is the only music that matters. I remember taking a friend to a show at Seattle's Sit & Spin (a bar/rock room/laundromat) to see Kent 3 and Wellwater Conspiracy. The music was crushing, and it was fun to point out all the local music icons that had turned out for the show--there was a guy from Mudhoney, there was a guy from the Melvins, that sort of thing. Changed his life. Or taking a friend to the Owl & Thistle to see a friend of mine in a jazz quartet; he was surprised to see the room packed to the gills with ravenous fans, and was even more surprised when he found out what passed for jazz.

All I'm after is that if you stop listening to the record companies, the radio airwaves, and the cottage-industry press surrounding pop music, there's a lot more good stuff out there. It's a better world. Watching someone realize that there is an "out there" and that it's "better" out there is one of the rare innocent delights I still experience.

And that's why I don't think it's a huge overstatement. The record companies speak, and the consumers drool.

thanx much,
    Tiassa

23. sinecure71 Registered Senior Member

>>>I disagree with the notion that Eminem says anything other people are too woozy to say. After all, it seems a better question as to why anyone pays for it? When I was in college, I could sit around and listen to my girlfriend's father threaten people, bash gays, and rip on women. And that didn't cost me a dime.

Tiassa, thanks so much for that tidbit, had me laughing my rear off.

Another reason I think crap gets radio play is that people download music off the net. The only music with radio play are the albums that sell in the store - purchased by fans who can't figure out how to read email let alone figure out how to use the usenet. This is my explanation for boy bands, at least!

Eminem is just trying to hold on to his 15 minutes of fame. Think of how Maryln Manson was so "offensive" - now he probably spends his days trying to figure out how he can get five minutes on Letterman.