Snake/rope - Errors of perception

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by rcscwc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. swarm Registered Senior Member

What I do when its a snake is identify the kind of snake. If is poisonous and trying to live in my territory we will likely have a snake fatality. If its not poisonous then I'll admire it for a bit and then we each go about our business.

Having non poisonous snakes means a lot less bugs and rodents.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

If you have approached it loudly, and it is not moving, it is probably not a snake. In the rain forest I could see 20 snakes a month, and once even stepped on the deadliest one. I would stumble through an hour of dense jungle, pitch black and liquored up, with every single root and vine and stick turning into a snake. But I never cared because I had some big rubber boots on.

Under the influence of Ayahuasca most people see snakes. The images of the drug almost always depict snakes. Great apes have a distinct word for snakes. They will also be scared of a garden-hose, if it is moved like a snake. I think snakes were one of early man's greatest animal threats.

Because of this, there is good reason to believe there is a physiological similarity in all of us that tends us to be specific toward snake-like objects. And hence we often see snakes in our path when they are indeed just ropes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I remember having heard that we all have these old images of dangerous animals that we are all afraid of...so perhaps we would still be afraid of the snake even if we haven't seen or heard about one before.

To the point though; we would know that we are uncertain about the snake, and I think that it is actually a response by ourselves to check it against other objects - which to a rope would be a snake, to see if it actually could fit that image, and we would know all the time that it isn't for certain even if we thought it was safer to impose the snake on the rope.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ili Registered Member