Smoking bans in bars

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Kellisness, Mar 9, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Yes, this is a problem.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What about having a room for smokers only?
    The room could have very good ventilation, and no bar staff need go into it.
    They could be served through hatches, like insane prisoners.

The smokers could sit in their filth. Smoking, farting, swearing, and telling smutty jokes to their hearts content.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No one is forcing you to go to a bar.

Sounds like a business opportunity for non-smoking bars, just don't legislate it.

What about strip clubs, should they be forced to hire 300 lb women? Should churches be forced to hire Satanists?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I say that should be up to the bar owner. I bet the percentage of people that go to bars and smoke is higher than the general population.

It's not smoking, it's just smoky air, something we are all forced to inhale when we walk near a street with cars driving in it. Should we outlaw cars too?

If they go there to enjoy a drink and a smoke, they should not be forced outside by the law. If it's a policy of the bar, then fine.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Nor are we forcing smokers to either. If they don't like the smoking ban, they can stay home. They only account for 20% of the clientele, so it's not a great loss if they stay away.

Before legislation bars tried to appeal to everyone, by pandering to the minority of smokers. PUBLIC OPINION has changed, and now bars are smoke free. Get over it, it's democracy in action.

Well, yes, and yes. These things will probably change too, once we manage to educate all the reactionaries. Does a vicar really have to believe in God, to preach a sermon, or pass round a collection plate? No. Are strip clubs sleazy little anachronisms that need a wake up? Yes. Tough shit on both establishments I reckon, change should sweep both aside.

9. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I vote yes on churches hiring Satanist . 300 pound woman sounds like tons of fun, O.K. I vote yes on that too

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

And the law, and public opinion say otherwise.

Only 20% are smokers. You probably get 'social smoking' where people only smoke when they drink, but I bet they do not make smoking a majority passtime, so still, democracy wins.

I've NEVER felt ill effects from walking along a road, or had to launder my clothes because of exhaust fumes, so that analogy is particularly retarded.

No, it's the law, the opinion of the majority, and tough shit on smokers. 80% of the population do not smoke. Got that yet? Why should we get stinky clothes, so smokers can sit inside? No reason. Times change, law changes, and it's changed for the better.

11. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Discrimination , but I don't care. "Poor Man" is the real new discrimination , for He gets lumped in with Evil Rich Whitey raper of lands and resources.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The tyranny of the majority. It's the same reason we outlawed pot, which is relatively harmless.

20% of bar goers?

Irrelevent, the cumulative effects are the same.

Don't go to a smoking bar then. That's freedom and the pursuit of happiness. Live and let live, don't tell me how to live.

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

That's retarded. Secondhand smoke is a workplace safety issue, not a matter of preference or qualifications.

14. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

This is also already allowed, at least in CA. It's rare though, due to the extra cost of a separate room with strong ventillation. Mostly you see it as places that sell fancy cigars, or super hip clubs in shitty parts of town.

15. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

You are proposing forcing him not to go to any bars, at least if he doesn't want to breath second-hand smoke.

Not really - they lose out to the bars that allow smoking. That's why a ban is needed in the first place; otherwise all bars would already be non-smoking.

There are explicit exceptions to anti-discrimination laws for cases like that. They still have nothing to do with workplace safety.

16. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

It is up to the bar owner, supposing he is content not to subject any employees to his decision. To the extent that it's just a bar owner and his customers - and nobody else - the laws don't place any restrictions on smoking (at least where I live).

Yep - that's why a free-market solution doesn't work.

We can and do take reasonable measures to limit the air pollution due to cars. The thing about secondhand smoke is that it provides no compensating benefit to the affected, and so is that much more intolerable.

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The whole problem starts with cigarettes being legal.

18. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

19. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

this is from a non smokers perspective.. and remember smokers can relax without smoking

1. i cant relax when im inhaling that god aweful smell.
    2. drinking effects 1 person not the whole bar
    3.hooking up with a woman or man is a choice and both parties have to accept
    4.hiring only smokers is descrimination
    5.200 years ago we knew that smoking and 2nd hand smoking was killing hudreds of thousands of people? cocane was in soda back then to
    6 someof the most popular bars i know are non-smoking for that very reason. both smokers and non smokers can be in a relaxing enviroment

20. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

your descrimination agianst bigger women. therefor agianst the law and again a fat women getting naked doesnt kill people smoking does.

21. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

And ends with reasonable workplace protections that prevent people from having to subject themselves to secondhand smoke in order to make a living.

I.e., there is no "problem" to speak of - just a minority of people who aren't allowed to smoke inside bars to the extent they might wish.

22. Kellisness Registered Senior Member

I just came back from the pub, which allows smoking inside. There were about 50 people there. About a minute away is another pub, where smoking inside isn't allowed. I was in a party of 3 and one of our group was missing so I asked where he was, and I was told he was in the other pub.

So I went to fetch him, and when I found him I asked him what the hell he was doing in there, and took him back to where the rest of us were. On the way out I mentioned that they allow smoking, and a couple of people overheard and asked me where this place was and I told them. More people overheard, and basically within 2 minutes there was a crowd of about 20 people grabbing their coats, even leaving their drinks, and making their way with us back to the other place. I don't think they'll be setting foot again in the non smoking pub if they can help it.

23. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

This is exactly why the question of pub smoking policy can't be left to the free market - it'll get you nothing but indoor-smoking pubs, leaving pub workers to either accept the damage to their health or find a new job.