Smile and earn

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Grantywanty, Oct 14, 2007.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well that's not an excuse for leaving somewhere that you hate to be. I'd just go out during my time off and find another job with the same benifits as you have and then leave.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Why do you think I Own my own business

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

I learnt this in Business studies

"Teeth make Smiles and Smiles make Sales"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

If they'd said that to me I would have immediately punched them in the mouth and condemned them to a life of poverty.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, and why do you think I saved my money and retired at 55?

Baron Max

9. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Any Business advice for starting your own business?

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Know what it is that your selling. Know what licences and permits you'll need. Be certain to have a business plan of action.

11. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

I think that statement holds some truth, i'm more pressured into buying something, if the sales assistant is extra nice to me.

12. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

And I, for my part, am more inclined to punch them in the mouth.

13. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Wealthy people always like nice things around them, they have somehow managed to trinkle this down to their employees, its starts with their immidiate emplyees, who don't mind smiling because they make enough dough in salary anyway, then it transforms miraculously to the lowest workers, who always vow to stop taking it but somehow always show up to work the following day. The whole package is really unfair but it works fine in an enviroment thats actually friendly and cool. I used to work at the retail end of a popular corporation, let me just say I wasn't the manager and I wasn't higher, it was so boring that I believed everyday would be my last, I couldn't believe anything could be that intensely boring, especially making a living. People came in every 3.5 hours and my supervisor would be pleased to have them each time. My supervisor was making it worse, he and I were the only people in the store, he wore a smile on his face and he was at least 20 years older, he played a certain song and looped it from 9-5pm to display the stereo, by which I was constantly found in the back room reading "burning down your work place for dummies". I immidiately found God during those times, it was rocky roads. I finally quit and joined the army, okay that part was a lie.

14. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

It is not at all restricted to those areas any more. It has become a lifestyle in much of business community even if you do not face to face with customers. This affects workers across the spectrum. They are expected to be up, positive, chipper, pro company, smily. A good answer to the questions 'How are you?' and 'how is the project going?' is 'great'. Things should always be great. Changes should always be great. And so on. This affects much more the professional classes than the working classes and it affects people much more if they are part of larger companies. But of course with all the mergers and buy outs more and more people are working for larger companies.

15. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

I think it's sad that an entire, ever growing industry is based on people being dishonest about how they feel. (and yet, of course, sometimes when they are smiling it is honest) But the issue goes well beyond sales people nowadays.

16. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

1) Baron is restricting this to Sales and retail, where the practice is overblown, but I can see how it is relevent, if still not a good thing to require. But the practice of demanding upness cuts across many fields, including many that have not public face to face.
    2) Your 'should' statement is a nice fantasy. The companies certainly do not, in most cases, feel responsible for making these smiles real.

17. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

For many that would mean not using the education they paid dearly for. And for those with families such a decision might not be so easy.

But good for you.

18. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

If it is really this easy for you, you could make a lot of money teaching other people that they can always successfully leave the job they are in and find a better one. The books, workshop fees and lecture fees would make you millions.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Why not?

20. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Because I don't think it is moral to ask other people to mask their feelings or to pretend to feel anything they do not feel (at a given moment or over time). Sure it might help a company. Kind of like steroids. You have to do it perhaps because other people do it. And just like steroids I think we would be better off trying to put an end to that practice.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Oh, I don't think so, particulary related to sales business - you'd sell less.
    As I don't see anyone asked to be chipper in my workplace and myself being naturally chipper all the time, I can't really comment on the second part of your argument - people asked to be smiling and optimistic in other than sales industry.

You didn't answer my question - why?
    "I don't think it's moral" is no answer, why do you think it's not moral?

22. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I'm more chipper at work than I've ever been. I found a new job paying more money and told these guys to kiss my ass yesterday. They can keep kissing it, if they want me to stick around for 2 weeks.

It's pretty funny, everyone saying "oh my YOU are in a good mood". I just tell them "shorty" has been screwing my balls pink. Let them figure it all out, that i'm out the door, when it happens.

23. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

-Headstones "Smile and wave".