Small Bolide (?) over California

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Yazata, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Yazata Valued Senior Member

It appeared in the sky right after sunset over the San Francisco bay area where I live. I was out on the road but didn't see it. (I was headed south, and it was apparently to the north, behind me.)

https://abc7news.com/science/mysterious-light-seen-in-the-sky-above-california/4932239/

There was a ULA rocket carrying a photo-recon spy satellite scheduled to launch from Vandenberg this evening, but last word is that the launch was scrubbed and postponed due to excessive wind. So this isn't that. SpaceX isn't up to any of its antics that light up the sky either.

There's a Russian Soyuz capsule with three astronauts aboard that just departed the Space Station today on its way back, hopefully this wasn't them burning up.

NORAD says they are investigating. Local scientists with cameras shoved in their faces say it was probably a meteor.

By all accounts this was centered north of the bay area but visible all over the region as far south as the Santa Barbara area. Photos are coming in from all over Northern and Central California as well as Reno NV.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Looks like a pretty average meteor.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.