Slowtalkers

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Klippymitch, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Who else has the disability to explain something quickly in a verbal manner.

In example:
    I can watch a movie and tell someone " I just saw ****** yesterday, and it was an awesome movie" then they ask " Oh really, what was it about?"
    Me: " umm... "

It's not that I don't know the answer to the question. I just could not formulate my thoughts to answer the question properly in a verbal manner.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

my husband is a slow talker and its frustrating. Especially since he's always saying "Quit interrupting me!" Sorry, when you pause for that long, I think you're done.
    And like you, he doesn't do well on questions he hasn't planned for, so while I'm talking he's not listening because he's planning on how to answer the question he thinks I might ask. AURGH!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have the opposite problem; most of the stuff I say is met with: "now say that again, a little slowly"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mybreathyourlung Registered Senior Member

HAHAHAHA!

Isn't that just men in general? Or are you and your husband and me and my wife mirror images of one another?

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

sometimes i have the same problem, you are most likely equal sided in the brain department. people usualy tend to be mostly left or right sided. wich makes them more logical or more creative and artistic, (to sum it up in short) i myself am equal and use my left and right side the same amount. this can be a double edged sword for us who have this. it is a good thing for many reasons, we are good at logical mathmatics etc and also very artistic and creative. but the bad news is that its a battle within your own mind, wich side will answer the question? the 2 sides compete to come out ontop with an explanation, we are less precise with fast replies, we tent to ponder at angles over very simple tasks.

so maybe you use left and right sides of the brain in equal amounts, and your mind is having an internal struggle wich takes you longer to come up with the desired information.

peace,

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

maybe your husband has the same thing as i just described in the above post, and you should consider giving him time to explain his 2 trains of thought, that he is trying to combine onto a single track.

peace.

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I have learned to say "Are you done or are you thinking?" which is usually answered with "I'm thinking!" and I can tell by the look on his face that he's thinking "Oh Crap! What were we talking about?" Ten minutes later I ask "Still thinking" which is answered by "Shut up"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think he has ADD

12. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Instead of getting feelings of frustration when you husband makes a pause, meditate on those feelings, use the time your husband gives you of silence for meditation; instead of uselessly wasting your energy for no reason (think about it, there is really no reason for frustration, your mind is playing tricks on you, don´t let it).

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its really hard to wait for people to understand what seems pretty obvious to you.:bawl:

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I get frustrated because he's not pausing. He's forgotten what he was talking about and he says he's pausing.

and I don't meditate. I've tried, just can't.

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

for the impatient and irrational minded.

peace.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

then remind him instead of wasting more time if you know 100% he has forgotten.

peace.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That's me :m:

18. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah stop beating retarded children with stutters, just wait until they spit it out.

peace.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I had that problem when I was young. It was really frustrating. I was a whiz in math, science, geography and all the abstract subjects. I was good at music; I learned songs easily, could pick out melodies on a keyboard and learned the guitar in a few weeks. But I was so infuriatingly inarticulate. I could never find the words I needed. I would stall halfway through a sentence and finally end it with something lame like "... stuff." My dream was to be a cartoonist and I drew my own comic strip, but I could never write the damn dialog! Even in cartoon balloons I could never think of the right word to describe what I knew the character had to say.

Then something magical happened that changed my life. In Arizona in the 1950s in the seventh grade, Spanish was a required course. I was really good at it. I discovered that I love foreign languages and it never occurred to me that this might be a teeny bit inconsistent with my lack of mastery of my native tongue.

The next year, the very next year, I could talk, I could write, I could express myself, I had command of nuances. Suddenly I was as precocious in verbal communication as I had been with the circle of keys and equations in two unknowns.

Each language has its own place in the brain. We know this because people who stutter don't necessarily stutter in a foreign language. Yet they interact with each other, especially when you're a beginner and you're translating all of your sentences in real time. Learning just one year of elementary Spanish established some new neural pathways that streamlined my thinking in English.

The rest is history. You've all seen how I write now. There are times when I make a living at it. I'm just as good at public speaking--and answering the questions afterward. The kid who couldn't conjure up the words "plug" and "socket" when asking how to get power to a radio.

If you're having trouble expressing yourself, I can think of no more promising remedy than to dive into another language and start over. Rewire your brain like I did!

20. Genji Registered Senior Member

We talk slow in these parts, and say "huh?" alot. But the op sounds like it's referring to dumb people that simply cannot conjugate without visualizing the words before they sp:m:ak.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

He doesn't appreciate that (hence the "Shut Up!") because he will stick to his story of thinking.

22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

then talk it through with him in a calm and productive manner, tell him it bothers you. try to work it out together. ask him if anything you do bothers him, have a compromise and both make adjustments into improving yourself to make the other happy.

or maybe he is a complete asshole and wont listen to reason, if so then why are you even with him?

peace.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I have talked to him about it. It just annoying not destructive. And I'm with him cuz him being an ass about this one thing isn't the sum of the man.
    And I have a real marriage with a real man, not a fairy tale one.