sliders

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Greg Bernhardt, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

does anyone know if this show is on anymore, it as great!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think Killing off the Prof. , And changing a number of the characters wasn't such a good idea to the series success.

Then to add an alien race that they kept having to fight with, really killed the entire plot. The later series I think eventually called for it's cancellation, which is a pity, because it did have an original touch to it.

It's quite funny I had been thinking about starting a Sliders Topic myself... seems you pipped me to it....

So which Episode was your Favourite?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

The show was great! It got cancelled though even thought it was scifi's channels most popular show until farscape came along. there are no plans for a movie and no plans for a new series, I try to keep up with these things.

My favorite episode was definantly not the final episode of the series (the seer) it sucked and deserves a wayyyy better ending. I miss maggie.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

wasn't remmy the only one to stay? the original cast was great!

8. ltcmmdr Registered Senior Member

I've heard that Sliders will be back on the scifi channel sometime this spring. I don't know if it's true or not.

9. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

They arent making new ones or new series. I looked into a while back and just now after you mentioned it (and i mentioned before that i keep up with these things) that there will not be another slider, maybe in 20 years we'll get Sliders the next generation!

10. Dracula's Guest Twisted firestarter Registered Senior Member

I only really enjoyed the first series of Sliders, there were some episodes I liked from the second, but I kind of lost interest after the third and stopped watching. It was a great series though, but I was never really sure about the Quantum leap style wandering from one place to the next each week trying to get home, I spose they needed that to keep things going, but it was still good fun.
    I remember BBC2 used to show it on friday afternoons at about 6pm in the UK , a couple of hours after I got home from school, which used to be a nice way of rounding off the week. Wasnt there a rumour of a movie with the original cast re-uniting?

11. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Read my previous post it is just a RUMOR.

12. Aaron Agassi Registered Senior Member

SLIDERStheMovie.com and more...

Read the interviews and follow the news as it comes in from SLIDERStheMovie.com at http://www.slidersthemovie.com

Stretch your own creative imagination by joining the ‘SLIDERS’ Brainstorm at
    http://pub45.ezboard.com/faarontologyfrm6

And open the sliders x-file at http://pub45.ezboard.com/faarontologyfrm12

The Sliders make the scene on a world of celebrity cloning, intellectual
    property litigation mania and Rock and Roll politics in 'SLIDERS: Worldstock:'at http://www.foolquest.com/star_trek_the_ship_of_fools/sliders-worldstock.htm

Last edited: Mar 1, 2002
  13. Miss Chicken Registered Member

Sliders was a terrific show when it first started. It went downhill after the Professor's death and the introduction of the Cromags made it even worse.

My enjoyment of it was ruined further by the TV station here not showing it in its right order. One episode the Professor wouldn't be in (because he was dead) but in the next episode shown he would be back. It made the show very confusing.

14. Aaron Agassi Registered Senior Member

agreement with correction

A good rule that the Networks should have let the creators stick to, is not to do anything on 'SLIDERS' except that which cannot be done elsewhere in the same way. And that means the particular Speculative Element and unique character driven stories.

(And this is the rule I strive for on my collaborative Fanfic brainstorming forums which I so shamelessly plug. See you all there?)

But while I must agree as to obviously banalizing factors in the downhill slide on TV, the confusing out of order show with Arturo still alive is the order in which the shows where actually first aired, and not the fault of the Tasmanian rebroadcaster.

15. Aaron Agassi Registered Senior Member

16. Miss Chicken Registered Member

Really? Everyone got them in the same silly order? I had no idea that this was the cas, thanks for enlightening me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Aaron Agassi Registered Senior Member

Now you know!

Syndication generally follows original broadcast order rather than that of production and intention. For better or worse...

18. kmguru Staff Member

What I liked about the Sliders is that the whole premise could be true - that is the Multiverse thing. Rest is basically junk.

If we find out that we can actually move between universes, what would we as people and government do? Turn in to Jet Li?

19. Aaron Agassi Registered Senior Member

In point by point response...

Respectfully, I must disagree with your appraisal. As well as the Science Fiction premise of Alternate History and transit between and Parallel Worlds, the earlier episodes offered uncommon character oriented stories, where in events are driven by pivotal individual motivation, rather than the usual plot oriented stories advanced simply by the situation.

But as to Speculative plausibility, they never did explain how they managed to travel between worlds, coincidentally(?), that displayed unlikely parallels emerging after the point of historical divergence.

As for the premise of worlds where sliding becomes more common place, and speculation as to the impact there of, from the sublime to the ridiculous! that might somewhat depend, also, upon other conditions of the society in question, and also how the technology is introduced.

But for more on such themes, browse 'SLIDERS: Worldstock:' at http://www.foolquest.com/star_trek_the_ship_of_fools/sliders-worldstock.htm and then add your input to the ‘SLIDERS’ Brainstorm at http://pub45.ezboard.com/faarontologyfrm6

Oh, and regards your Alvin Toffler footer quotation, do be sure to check out http://foolquest.com/casa.htm
    :bugeye:

20. kmguru Staff Member

Aaron:

It was just an opinion and I still stand by it. Oh, yes - the first few episodes were good, but then it got boring.

Because one of my future goal is to do experiments on hypercharge and space-time matrix on a micro-level, I was more interested in learning something from it. Several people I have talked to in my meditation class have experienced alternate reality in the dream state. I am trying to determine, if there is any useful information that can be garnered - and hence my interest overall....

I am a little confused about your CASA site. It took a long time to load and a quick glance did not identify what it does and how successfully?

21. Aaron Agassi Registered Senior Member

The good "first few episodes", I take it, would include the entire first season, and some of the second, *ahem*, sliding downhill from there.

And there is no reason, in so far as I am aware, to suppose that the study of dreams needs to be transferred from Psychology into Physics. When Physicists make breakthrough from their dreams, it is may more likely be because dreaming reflects the contents of the mind, albeit the mind of a Physicist. But the Paranormal remains unsupported by the evidence.

And CASA does nothing, yet. It's a proposal, as stated in line one of the document!

22. anim8er Registered Senior Member

Sliders.....

I agree with a lot of sentiment already stated. First season was pretty good, the Cromags sucked. One thing that really bothered me was that a lot of episodes had an "anti-science" theme. Science and technology was viewed as bad and evil at times. A strange thing for a Science Fiction television series.

23. Aaron Agassi Registered Senior Member

Downhill slide into cliche

Yes, the same repetitious shop worn and implausible Ludite cautionaries are tiresome. So are such generic alien invaders as the Chromags.

Such masterworks as 'Frankenstein' and 'The War of the Worlds' did it first and did it best.