sliders.............

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by dexter, Jan 29, 2000.

1. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

ok... i started out watching sliders, and it was pretty good, you know, something different, then it crapped out... quinn, the main carachter died, collin, his brother was lost in the huge quantum voide... not to mention, the proffesor was lost... shot a long time ago... and the other girl died from some kromag experiment... and now the only origanl is rembrant.. who wasnt exactly my favorite.. so i just stopped watching it, beacuase its all bunch of sh*t!!! but now i have been watching the sci fi channel and noticed that the last eppisode is tomarrow, and what do u know... i have a huge race on friday thursday, and saterday.. so i wont get to see it... but....WHY hasnt quinn already come back... they tried this last episode, and were unsucsessfull!!!!

------------------
    when christianity ruled the world, it was called the dark ages.

-dexter (nimrod242 :aol sn)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

yes dexter... i totally agree

------------------

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Spirit17 Registered Member

And what ever happened to Wade. I used to love that show!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

wade was taken to a kromag breeding camp........ and then pute into some experement with telopathic powers..... acrow interdimentional space..... and then all the new people found her.. and she died.

also...the "last one" didnt seem like 'the last one' no one knows what happens to rembrant... if you ahve any info, post it or e-mail it

------------------

8. Spirit17 Registered Member

Dammit, I watch television to make me happy, not to see my favoroite characters die. This is depressing.

9. ltcmmdr Registered Senior Member

I hate it when shows do that. They should've at least showed what happened to Quin and Colin, to see if they're still alive, if Remmie ever survived the jump, and show what will happen to Diane and Maggie. The last show was dull.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    everything is not what it
    appears to be

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Sliders was a good show. It went south about the time the profesor was killed.

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

You've learned the pitfall of visionaries, or mad men. Just look at Quantum leaps ending and you'll see how shit out of luck all the fans of good series are, unless of course you got the guy who made Babylon 5 up.

12. kmguru Staff Member

Right after Sliders, I had repeated dreams about different worlds with slightly different infrastructure but with familiar faces. For example, a car would be much longer and wider. The train would be twice the track width.

It was so weird...I thought may be we do exist in parallel dimensions....

The dreams did not stop....I have 4 to 5 times a year sometimes visiting the same dreams. Some of them are lucid dreams.

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I've never seen the last Quantum Leap, I mostly just watched it in reruns. How did it end?

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's funny you should say that, for a while during the industrial revolution many different widths of track were tried for trains. The gauge weren't the only things different, one particular version of train with a wide gauge actually have large spoked wheels that extended outside the carriages, which meant when you looked out of the window of the carriage you looked through the spokes of the wheel. The only reason this design wasn't taken on board was because people suggested they became nauseated by it, nobody at that period of time really knew about travel (motion) sickness, it might not of been the spokes at all.

Eventually a single gauge was devised, it wasn't because of it being ergonomic in design or being practical but because the mean distance (taken from multiple sources) of horse driven carriages just happened to equal that distance.

You can suggest originally with cars the same method was probably use for the axle.

All these things would of required for a change is a little difference in how the designers went about designing, can you imagine the differences if they designed for any one of the following: Ergonomics; Economics; Aesthetics.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Now that's almost like turning to the last page of a book to spoil the whole plot (Although most of these series unfortunately lose their plot because their planned air time is usually set for just one season should the pilot episode prove a decent taster.)

You could probably purchase a DVD Box set, wait for it on HD-DVD or Bluray, or 'Yargh! pieces o' eight, pieces o' eight'.

16. orcot Valued Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_gauge

Freaky

17. kmguru Staff Member

I should have wrote down those dreams....in the lucid ones that I remember, the train compartment was twice the width of American passenger trains. There was a separation wall along the longitudinal axis, but room to move around at both end of the compartment. There was large private rooms at the next compartment with a walkway and two-seater benches to one side. I did not think, the brain can do such detail original designs (even though I am an engineer!) while asleep, especially I have not been on a train for 20 years.

Same with the car. It looked like an oversized corvette with large 4 wheels in the back and two wheels in the front and the whole windshield lifted up like a fighter aircraft to get in. The engine was in the back like an Italian rear engine car except the engine was making a whine like a turbine. The dashboard was like an aircraft cockpit with a lot of switches, old white dials (no LCD) and built like a tank (rugged)

What are the chances that other worlds exist and that we coexist so close to each other dimensionally that only information can pass riding on subatomic particles or gravity waves (they say, gravity is the only force that can pass through the dimensions). And information may be leaking out....

Freaky!

18. kmguru Staff Member

More like this with half the height and 6 wheels and much more polished like a civilian version...

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

First off, if a show goes downhill just because a character dies, it wasn't that good, anyway. In literary story cycles, this sort of thing happens all the time. When Steven Brust knocked off one of our favorite characters in the Taltos cycle, some of us actually slipped into mourning. It really hurt. And giving us back that character in the Khaavren Romances, instead of assuaging our pain, only increased the sense of loss. Nonetheless, the cycle goes on, and it is no less diminished for that loss. In fact, the loss is actually something that will, in the end, be counted in the plus column.

The thing with Sliders, though, is that I could never tolerate the show. It reminded me in a way of The Powers of Matthew Starr, in that it was designed to appeal to young people as something trippy and hip, but, in later years, we're embarrassed to have ever watched the show. (To wit, I should call an old friend of mine--she's the younger sister of my high school girlfriend--and ask her about Saved by the Bell.)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Films like The Butterfly Effect touch upon certain theories involving the universe, however throughout such films you see the universes collapse through the eyes of the hero observer.

although the film is fictional, it is based on certain scientific concepts that bring into question such things as: 'Who or what is an observer?', 'Are there other alternate universes out there?'.

It can currently only be hypothesised that there is other universes, however what quantifies an Observer is still something in debate. However if you take into account that every single atomic state implies a paradoxical wave formation in regards to subatomic positioning, you could suggest at an atomic level the universe has the capacity to deal with paradoxical states. Obviously matter's placement in our universe has collapsed to gain it's placement, however this doesn't rule out that at a sub-atomic level the human brain can time from time at multi-universally with instance of visual inputs or knowledge from other frames of reference presenting themselves.

As I mention it is just a theory, the concept would have to be proven before I'd state it as anything else.

21. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Are you mad? Without Kirk, Picard, etc.. star trek would've fallen apart, hence Star Trek Enterprise

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I never do that with a book. My wife does, and I can't understand the point of reading once you know the end.

But I was never a huge fan of the show, I doubt I'll buy the box set. I was just curious about the end.
    Did he finally jump home? Did he jump onto Enterprise?

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

To tell you the truth I can't actually answer that one. Although I did find this while looking:

http://www.angelfire.com/space/gelfling/rants/finalleap.html

Somebody definitely had fun making this 'Quantum leap meets Enterprise' comic.