Sleeping pills

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Bebelina, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Anyone take them?
    I have been so stressed up lately that I have started to take sleeping pills ( Stilnoct) to be able to sleep. How damaging, if damaging at all, are these kind of pills?
    I don't recall dreams when I have used them, and when I take them I almost immediately fall aleep and when I wake up I always think that I have just fallen asleep. That no time has passed, perhaps because I can't recollect any dreaming...?
    Taking them is like shutting everything down for a few hours...
    How does this effect the body and mind in the long run?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As long as you get them from a doctor I would think they would be just fine. If you abuse the pills then your in deep shit!! They will help you get to sleep but something is causing you to stay awake. What is it that your doing to keep yourself awake that long? Don't eat anything 4 hours before bedtime to start off with. Be carefull not to have to much sugar in your diet. Try to read a book or just listen to soft music instead of watching TV.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Like most prescription drugs (most notably many of those prescribed for psychological problems), the problem with them is that they treat the symptoms, not the causes.

Like cosmic said, you should try to find out what is causing you to lose sleep and address that.
    But, if you need a sleep aid in the meantime there is nothing wrong with that.
    Not only will it help you with those symptoms immediately while you work on the long term cure, it will help you be more alert, aware and reasoning clearly so that you CAN work on the long term cure by discovering, focusing on and addressing the real cause.

I am not aware of any long term physical effects of them (taken in moderation) and, like you assumed, I assume you don't remember your dreams, and time flies simply because you are in such a deep sleep.
    There have been documented cases of long term physical effects of losing REM sleep, but just because you aren't remembering your dreams, that doesn't mean you aren't having them.
    If you ARE losing REM sleep, you would notice.
    Loss of concentration, tiredness, irritability, reduction of motor skills etc...
    (basically the same symptoms you would expect to see if you aren't getting enough sleep, even though you ARE getting enough sleep.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Thank you for your replies. I'm not abusing them, but taking them as rarely as I can. I always try to fall asleep by myself first, and if sleep doesn't come in several hours, then I take a pill.
    I do eat a lot of sugar...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I know why I can't sleep, it's because I have so much to do right now, so many things to take care of, that I can't relax...
    Everything is chaos, but then it has always been, so I shouldn't really be bothered by it, but somehow it's now starting to get to me.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then stop some of the things that are making you stressed out. Do only a few things that are more important to you and drop those things that are'nt so important. Reduce the sugar as soon as possible. Look at your daily routine and see where you can stop doing so much and take time for cat naps whenever possible.

9. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

A search revealed that stillnoct is considered much more safe than ordinary benzodiazepines, but,

At least have your bloodlevels checked for hypoglycemy.

Why? Because you like to it sugar. Maybe It could be a sign that you try to make up for hypoglycemy by eating the sugar. One side effect of hypoglycemy is the brain, due lack of bloodsugar, increasing epinephrine and cortisol, wich are related to stress and unrest (wich can cause lack of sleep)

Also Stilnoct is slightly contra-indicated for people with hypoglycemy. People with severe hypoglychemy or alcohol abusers will be completely knocked-out from stilnoct or even respitory problems can occur, not surprising as it acts on some of the same GABA receptors as clubdrug GHB (I bet halve a stilnoct would be really really chill with mdma

)

Increasing the aerobic and glycemic treshold by regular endurance exercise and replacing simple sugars with complex carbs is a good way to combat sugar related stress.

10. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

when i cant sleep i go on sciforums till i notice sun coming through my window. then i go about my day till night comes and again i cant sleep so i go to sciforums. after 3-4 days of this i crash for 16+ hours.
    sleep deprovation never fails to help me sleep.

11. Automan Mostly harmless. Registered Senior Member

Stilnoct are popular.. I stopped taking them myself as I found I was getting short tempered. After one bad patch I took them for four nights and I became VERY short tempered, dangerously so while driving. I'm normally mister chill, but waves of irrational rage which were barely surpressable dogged me all day. I'm not trying to worry you, it is probably just my biochemistry.

I used to occasionally use Zimovane (sp?) I found it enhanced my dreams and really relaxed all my muscles, like an amazing massage. Down side is the hideous metallic taste in the morning. Also after taking one every two nights for a week they stop working, becoming effective again after a break of a week or so. Anyway, thats just me.

No coffee/coke after 6-7 pm, no sugar etc after 9ish helps me a lot. I must be getting old...

12. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

My advice is to overdose.

13. Automan Mostly harmless. Registered Senior Member

How? can you show us?

14. Flores Registered Senior Member

Bebelina, try the following:

- Remove all distractions from bedroom like books, TV, ect.
    - Inhale while counting 1, then exhale, then Inhale while saying 2, exhale, Inhale while saying 3, then exhale, inhale and say 4, and exhale, and back to 1. Don't count after 4 because the brain can get excited. Keep repeating until you drift to sleep, If you feel like your brain is drifting off to another thought, gently bring yourself back to course by imagining that you kid, dog, ect is wandering off course while you are taking a brisk walk, and gently pull them back and tell yourself, anything will be handled later.

Also maksure that you are covered well. The body need to be warm to fall asleep. Us women always have cold feet, so perhaps you should wear socks to sleep.

I really would discourage you from using any sleeping pills or other aids, but if you really have to use something, use quite time tea or herbal aids like velarian roots, which they sell on the counter.

Good Luck.

15. stew2yk Registered Member

I have had major sleeping problems for years. I've just been percribed Zimovane Ls, and I took 1 day before last night because I coulnd't sleep. 45mins later I got a horrible taste but I couldnt sleep, so I took another, and another, and another untill I reached the maximum dose (3.75mg x 4 = 15mg). Took about 2 hours then I fell alsleep and had great dreams and a good sleep. But tonight I couldnt sleep at all I took my first pill at 6:30pm hopping it might take time to kickin to which it didnt. In the end I took 12 x 3.75mg = 45mg. I was stupid but eventuley I got to sleep at about 5am after a shot of alcohol(stupip me)

Feel fine this morning acept for the shity taste of metal in my mouth. I asked them for valium because my older sister was pescribed them. But my doctors are shit and I only get 8mins with them if I'm lucky.

Does anybody know how good valium is and how long it takes, i'm looking to get in to a normal pattern otherwise i'm gonna fuck up college for the 5th time now and i'm never gonna get a job. Sometimes I hate the stupiness og the NHS and governement of England. Cannabis had always worked for me for years but I have stopped be because I can't affort it and its illegal and I sometimes loose my memory.

Got any good sleeping drug recomdations or maybe I could try and run a marathon before be that should get me off lol!!!
    thanks
    stu (desperate)

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Valium isn't for sleeping, its for mental problems. Yes , it will put you to sleep but Dr's don't recommend it often. Ask for temazepam 30 mg. It is safe and effective when taken with a Dr's. scrips and Dr's. watching you to see how you react to it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  17. ! 4m |_|b3r 1337 ! n33|) 70 83 B4nn3|) |-|0w |)0 t|-|!5 !!!!! 31117-0n3

18. stew2yk Registered Member

im of zimovane ls and now i'm on efexor xl (venlafaxine) 75mg, i've been on it for 4 days now and have even worse sleeping patterns and a feel high like on ecstacy most of the time. The side effects I have are ecstasy type effects with muscle spasms and tension, heavy stomach pain, blurred vision, dialated pupils, sore teeth, chewing/yawning type effect. It is getting better, but my doctors are shit and they never seem to listen and they always no whats best(they dont) I'm worried about comming of this drug because many people have had many problems this stuff is like industrial strength anti-depresants.

19. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Yeah the problem with any drug used just to treat a symptom or escape a problem, is that the underlying issue's are not going away, and may in fact get worse. And so when you stop taking the drug - the backlash can be brutal when whatever underlying stress and/or physical problem suddenly hits again but magnified.

20. eincloud Banned Banned

My gradparents take sleeping pills every night just to fall asleep

21. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

LOL when ever i take a sleeping pill it doesn't help me at all ><

22. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I was actually going to ask about sleeping pills myself. I've been going to school, going to physio and working. I have almost no time to myself (except when work is slow, then I log on here). I am tired at the end of the day but I can't fall asleep because my head is buzzing. For the past couple of weeks, I have been taking several remedies for my sleep problem. I had a bi of a flu when my insomnia started so I took drowsy flu medicine. when I was done with that medicine, I had two nights with virtually no sleep. I started taking sleeping pills. I soon became wrooied that I was addicted to the pills. I couldn't sleep for three days straight without the pills. I decided to eat some marijuana that I had stashed away to give me a relaxing sensation and help me sleep. Lately, I have been rotating between 5 extra-strength travel tabs (gravol) which gives a bit of a high too and marijuana. I need a good sleep!!! What's funny is that I'm reading the book insomnia by Stephen King and the character in the novel goes crazy because he can't sleep.

I'm even at the point where I see objects out of the corner of my eye and I hear whispers if I go off the sleeping remedies and go natural.

I've become shaky lately. I have had comments about how I sometimes resemble a heroine addict in my mannerisms. I've even tried deep meditation.

I'm going crazy....

Do you guys know how I can get to sleep without drugs?

23. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

I take the natural way out, I take melatonin, it helps me fine, and I do suffer from imsosnia, No joke ( you may try and ejaculate before going to sleep) this relives the stress that you may be having. And now good night.

G.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.