Slavery worse than Holocaust?

Discussion in 'History' started by Kadark, Apr 30, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Were blacks abused, certianly. Were they the only ones abused, certianly not. If you want to say that somehow that slavery as practiced by whites was worse than elsewhere, then you need to prove it. Do you have the numbers and proof? It does not pass my smell test. I don't recall anything of a humanitarian form of enslavement that you claim that was practiced by other races. I don't think you can say with an open and honest heart that one form of enslavement is better or worse than another.

In the case of European enslavement of blacks, the object was not to kill them. There was no profit in a dead slave. I want to also point out that the reason Whites viewed themselves as superior was because of they were technologically more advanced. And what happened is what has always happened when a more technologically advanced civiliation collides with a less advanced civilization...note that does not justify what happened. But it does help us understand what happened. The Europeans saw themselves as technologically more advanced and they were. Where they went wrong is using that to justify slavery and the abuse of others. But it is no different than what they did to other Europeans.
    But also note that more than a half million whites died and many more suffered grevious injuries to end the practice of slavery in the United States. A very bloody civil war was fought to free the slaves and uphold the intrinsic value of the human spirit.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

The slave trade was a terrible thing, but during the time it was carried out (over a century ago) it was widely accepted, even among Africans (the ones doing the selling, of course, not the ones being sold). Claiming it was
    is a lie. The slave trade could never have happened without the participation of African nations which enslaved and sold other Africans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade#African_conflicts

And there were plenty of Arab traders profiteering off it too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery#Modern_times_2

Saudi Arabia didn't outlaw slavery until 1962 (compared to the entire British Empire in 1833 and USA in 1865)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolitionism#National_abolition_dates

The Janissaries were European slaves forced to fight for the Ottoman Empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissary#Recruitment.2C_training_and_status

I doubt it, unless they've invented a way to recover from death. Have they?

If you mean those that weren't killed, you could say that the descendants of the victims of slavery have also recovered. Most of them are much better off in post-slavery America than their distant relatives are back in Africa. The freed African-American slaves were given their own country (Liberia) but unsurprisingly most preferred to stay in the USA.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I should probably read on, since I assume someone made thos point, but the estimated mortality rate in the Middle Passage for slaves were quite high. They packed them in like cord wood, in fact, because they knew so many would die. Even in later centuries when they knew better the rate was above 10%, much of the time it was above 30% (though exact numbers are hard to come by). Sick slaves (and the rate of illness was much higher than the rate of death) were often thrown overboard to delay the onset of sickness generally.

I am not saying that it was worse than the Holocaust, as I don't think there is an answer to "which was worse." It's like choosing between two very gruesome ways to commit suicide, neither one is good and different people would vary if forced to actually select a "somewhat less horrible" one.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

sorry./,that wasnt particularly directed at you,just giving my reasons for responding to this thread.

8. DeepThought Banned Banned

I clearly used the word in apostrophes, indicating I alluded to it, rather than used it directly. You choose to overreact in an effort to get me banned, demonstrating you are a cowardly debater.

I expect the reaction was involuntary, suggesting you are cowardly full stop. Hence, you call on the mods to silence what terrifies you, like a child calls for his parents at night to banish the monster in the closet. The monster is, of course, a projection of the child's own fears.

Time to grow up eh?

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Don't put on airs. As monsters go, you aren't that scary.

10. HumanBeast Registered Member

I bet China was just as bad. China did not do much external cargo, but internally dynastys probably had their huge collections of slaves. There may not be enough statistical proof at the moment, BUT that is because China is still antisocial when it comes to the rest of the world.

Slavery still goes on in Africa between the tribes and did so for 1,000s of years. I wonder what the body count of those were?

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Interesting history of abolishing slavery.

Early timelinehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline

It should be noted that many of these changes were reversed in practice over the succeeding centuries.

1102 Trade in slaves and serfdom ruled illegal in London: Council of Westminster
    1117 Slavery abolished in Iceland
    1215 Magna Carta recognizes the right to liberty in England
    1274 Landslova (Land's Law) in Norway mentions only former slaves, which indicates that slavery was abolished in Norway
    1335 Sweden and Finland make slavery illegal

[edit] Modern timeline
    1588 Lithuania and Japan abolish slavery
    1600 Last villein dies in England
    1723 Russia abolishes slavery[1]
    1761 Portugal abolishes slavery[2]
    1772 Slavery declared illegal in England, including overseas slaves living in England. Lord Chief Justice Mansfield rules that English law does not support slavery.[3]
    1777 Slavery abolished in Madeira[3]
    1777 Slavery abolished in Vermont, USA[3]
    1778 Slavery illegal in Scotland[4][5]
    1783 Russia abolishes slavery in Crimean Khanate[6]
    1783 Massachusetts rules slavery illegal based on 1780 constitution[3]
    1783 Bukovina: Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor issued an order abolishing slavery on 19 June 1783 in Czernowitz.[7]
    1787 Sierra Leone founded by British as state for emancipated slaves
    1787 Society for the Abolition of the Slave Trade founded in Britain[3]
    1788 Sir William Dolben's Act regulating the conditions on British slave ships enacted
    1791 Haiti gains independence and emancipation
    1792 Slave trading abolished in Denmark (though slavery continues to 1847).
    1794 French First Republic abolishes slavery[3] (re-established by Napoleon in 1802)
    1793 Upper Canada, by Act Against Slavery
    1799 New York State introduces gradual emancipation
    1802 Denmark abolish slave trade in Danish colonies
    1802 Slavery re-introduced in France[2]
    1803 Lower Canada abolishes slavery
    1804 Haiti abolishes slavery[3]
    1807 Abolition of the Slave Trade Act: slave trading abolished in British Empire. Captains fined £100 per slave transported.
    1807 British begin patrols of African coast to arrest slaving vessels. West Africa Squadron (Royal Navy) established to suppress slave trading; by 1865, nearly 150,000 people freed by anti-slavery operations[8]
    1807 Abolition in Prussia, Germany The Stein-Hardenberg Reforms.
    1808 United States -- importation of slaves into the US prohibited after Jan. 1.[9]
    1811 Slave trading made a felony in the British Empire punishable by transportation for British subjects and Foreigners.
    1811 Spain abolishes slavery at home and in all colonies except Cuba,[2] Puerto Rico, and Santo Domingo
    1814 Dutch outlaw slave trade
    1815 British pay Portuguese £750,000 (several hundred million dollars in current values) to cease their trade[10]
    1815 Congress of Vienna. 8 Victorious powers declared their opposition to slavery
    1817 Spain paid £400,000 by British to cease trade to Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Santo Domingo[10]
    1818 Treaty between Britain and Spain to abolish slave trade [11]
    1818 Treaty between Britain and Portugal to abolish slave trade [11]
    1818 France and Holland abolish slave trading
    1819 Treaty between Britain and Netherlands to abolish slave trade [11]
    1821 Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela abolish slavery
    1821 Liberia founded by USA as state for emancipated slaves.
    1822 Greece abolishes slavery.
    1823 Chile abolishes slavery[3]
    1827 Treaty between Britain and Sweden to abolish slave trade [11]
    1829 Mexico abolishes slavery[3]
    1831 Bolivia abolishes slavery[3]
    1834 Jamaica abolishes slavery[3]
    1835 Treaty between Britain and France to abolish slave trade [11]
    1835 Treaty between Britain and French and Danish to abolish slave trade [11]
    1836 Portugal abolishes transatlantic slave trade
    1838 Slavery abolished throughout the British empire
    1839 British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society founded, now called Anti-Slavery International
    1839 Indian indenture system made illegal
    1840 Treaty between Britain and Venezuela to abolish slave trade [11]
    1841 Quintuple Treaty is signed; England, France, Russia, Prussia, and Austria agree to suppress slave trade[3]
    1842 Webster-Ashburton Treaty between Britain and USA
    1842 Uruguay abolishes slavery[3]
    1843 Honourable East India Company becomes increasingly controlled by Britain and abolishes slavery in India by the Indian Slavery Act V. of 1843.
    1843 Treaty between Britain and Uruguay to suppress slave trade [11]
    1843 Treaty between Britain and Mexico to suppress slave trade [11]
    1843 Treaty between Britain and Chile to suppress slave trade [11]
    1843 Argentina abolishes slavery[2]
    1843 Treaty between Britain and Bolivia to abolish slave trade [11]
    1845 36 British Navy ships are assigned to the Anti-Slavery Squadron, making it one of the largest fleets in the world.
    1846 Tunisia abolishes slavery
    1847 Sweden abolishes slavery[12]
    1848 Denmark abolishes slavery[12]
    1848 Slavery abolished in all French and Danish colonies[3]
    1848 France founds Gabon for settlement of emancipated slaves.
    1848 Treaty between Britain and Muscat to suppress slave trade [11]
    1849 Treaty between Britain and Persian Gulf states to suppress slave trade [11]
    1850 United States: Fugitive Slave Law of 1850
    1851 Brazil ends slave trade[3]
    1854 Peru abolishes slavery[3]
    1854 Venezuela abolishes slavery[3]
    1855 Moldavia abolishes slavery.[13]
    1856 Wallachia abolishes slavery.[13]
    1860 Indenture system abolished in British occupied India.
    1861 Russia frees its serfs in the Emancipation reform of 1861.[14][2]
    1862 Treaty between United States and Britain for the suppression of the slave trade (African Slave Trade Treaty Act)[11].
    1862 Cuba abolishes slave trade[3]
    1863 Slavery abolished in Dutch colonies[3]
    1863 United States: Emancipation Proclamation declares those slaves in Confederate-controlled areas to be freed.
    1865 United States abolishes slavery with the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.[3]
    1869 Portugal abolishes slavery in the African colonies
    1871 Brazil declares free the sons and daughters born to slave mothers after September 28, 1871.
    1873 Puerto Rico abolishes slavery
    1873 Treaty between Britain and Zanzibar and Madagascar to suppress slave trade [11]
    1874 Britain abolishes slavery in Ghana (the Gold Coast) (after Third Anglo-Asante War and British annexation of the Gold Coast in 1874).
    1886 Cuba abolishes slavery[3]
    1888 Brazil abolishes slavery[3]
    1890 Brussels Act - Treaty granting anti-slavery powers the right to stop and search ships for slaves
    1894 Korea abolishes slavery[15]
    1896 France abolishes slavery in Madagascar
    1897 Zanzibar abolishes slavery[16]
    1905 Siam (Thailand) abolishes slavery[17]
    1910 China abolishes slavery[18]
    1923 Afghanistan abolishes slavery[19]
    1924 Iraq abolishes slavery
    1924 League of Nations Temporary Slavery Commission
    1926 Slavery Convention. Bound all signatories to end slavery CONVENTION TO SUPPRESS THE SLAVE TRADE AND SLAVERY (25 Sep 1926)
    1926 Nepal abolishes slavery[20][21]
    1928 Iran abolishes slavery[22]
    1928 Domestic slavery practised by local African elites abolished in Sierra Leone[23] (paradoxically established as a place for freed slaves). A study found practices of domestic slavery still widespread in rural areas in the 1970s.
    1936 Britain abolishes slavery in Northern Nigeria[24]
    1942 Ethiopia abolishes slavery
    1948 UN Article 4 of the Declaration of Human Rights bans slavery globally[25]
    1952 Qatar abolishes slavery
    1962 Saudi Arabia abolishes slavery
    1962 Yemen abolishes slavery
    1963 United Arab Emirates abolishes slavery
    1970 Oman abolishes slavery
    1980 Mauritania abolishes slavery[26] (Mauritania has repeatedly abolished slavery. It is the last country to still have chattel slavery.)[27]
    Slavery continues today with illegal human trafficking[28]

12. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

WOW.............Moderators, why isn't this guy permanently banned? I mean how many times do you have to suspend this guy? He has said things like this to many times to ignore.

13. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

does it goes for calling jews parasites?

14. DeepThought Banned Banned

You never win an argument with me Ganymede. I always show you up for the liberal hypocrite you are.

And that annoys the hell out of you.

Keep calling for mummy .

15. DeepThought Banned Banned

I said the monster is a projection of our own fears.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If the title of the thread was "Slavery. As bad as holocaust?"
    I would agree with it.

Human beings packed like sardines in a slaver ship rife with typhoid.
    If they survive the journey, they are treated like beasts and worked to death.

Human beings packed like sardines in a mock shower room being gassed. If they are not chosen for this fate, then they are treated like beasts and worked to death.

Yes, they are roughly equivalent.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  17. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

You must be a family member of one the moderators. Someone really, really likes you here. Because you break the forum rules with impunity, and If you do get punished, it's a mere slap on the wrist.

18. DeepThought Banned Banned

Disagreeing with ultra-left leaning liberals, black supremacists and Islamic fundies is not breaking the forum rules.

I only throw back as good as I get.

19. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Please, I challenge you to find any statement made by anyone on this forum that insinuated that Blacks are Superior, or anyone that preached Black supremacy. Anytime race is brought up, you come storming in pontificating White Supremacy, and Black Inferiority.

You'll be banned trust me, you're to filled with hate, and you can only suppress it for so long before it materializes in a debate. One thing is for sure. If the tables were turned, and you were talking about Whites the way you did Blacks, you would of been banned eons ago.

20. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

how about saying a race of people are parasites?

21. John99 Banned Banned

No he does not come in pontificating white supremacy. Stop lying long enough to remember your own bullshit.

Just ignore the person with the fucking ignore function and quit trying to get people banned. Did you want a blog for your propaganda then start one.

22. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Holocaust and slavery both were using people against their will to work because of their race. However, the holocaust also killed people because of their race, so I'd say holocaust is slightly worse than just slavery alone.

23. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

How many times do I have to tell you that you're out of your league whenever you attempt to call me out. Now I will proceed to illustrate that you're the one misrepresenting the facts, and sticking up for a known White supremacist.

Quotes from Mr. Deepthought on the subject of race

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1613808#post1613808

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1488139#post1488139

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1568568#post1568568

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1585364#post1585364

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1607222#post1607222

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=76119

http://www.sciforums.com/search.php?searchid=2139353&pp=25&page=8

http://www.sciforums.com/search.php?searchid=2139353&pp=25&page=8

http://www.sciforums.com/search.php?searchid=2139353&pp=25&page=7

http://www.sciforums.com/search.php?searchid=2139353&pp=25&page=5

This is just a few of the things I quickly found. The worst stuff he's said has been deleted by Plasma Inferno.
    Like I said John, you're out of your league. Deepthought is a White Supremacist. Although according to him, it's not because of individual merit, it's because nature has made it so.

Last edited: May 4, 2008