Slave owners

Discussion in 'History' started by Frisbinator, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

Some of the founding fathers were slave owners. I am ashamed to live in a country where the founders owned slaves and you all should be too!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

What about descendants of slaves who live in a country where the founders owned slaves?

What about the descendants of natives who owned slaves before the country that slave owners founded was founded?

What about the descendants of slaves who came from a country where the inhabitants owned and traded in slaves?

Everybody should be ashamed. Almost every culture has practiced slavery at one time in the past. I don't bear the burdens of the sins of my father no matter how guilty you may want me to feel. I am not ashamed.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

Being ashamed is like so cooh, I plan on telling my Proffesor that I will not learn about Greek or Roman Art because they owned slaves. If she gives me shit about it I'll tell her she shouldn't admire slave holders instead she should use her college level education to discredit everyone in history cause if you do one thing in your life that isn't up to todays politically correct standards then you aren't worth learning about.

(sarcasm of course)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Frisbinator Registered Senior Member

Two wrongs don't make a right fellas. By putting someone up on a pedastel (as many do our founding fathers and even fathers of philosophy) and not acknowledging their severe errors in owning slaves, you are indirectly admitting that there is nothing wrong with it. You people ought to be ashamed, as I am almost every single day.

8. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

Mom is that you?
    No, I think your overreacting, I think most people understand that people can do things that are bad and still be admirable.
    Actually I am ashamed. I do pennace everyday, none of that pansy Mother Mary crap, I go medievel on myself, I've got whips, spiky things,and boards with nails on them. I beat myself till I'm forgiven and god loves me again. You should too, if you want to go to heaven.
    Okay, that last bit was sarcasm again.

9. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

Hair shirts, $5 each. Be quick, won't last at this price. And for the first 10 posters, I'll throw in a cat o' nine tails for self flagellation - Completely Free! Send in your order now!

10. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I'm not ashamed.
    I wouldn't even be ashamed if I owned slaves today. Actually i think I'd be really proud of myself. Who has slaves in this day and age? I'd so rock if i had slaves.
    This thread has inspired me to look into acquiring slaves. Thanks Fris.

11. Spyke Registered Senior Member

That's absurd. Most historians acknowledge that each of these men had flaws in their personal lives, but that doesn't detract from the contributions they made in history. The library shelves are lined with books on the lives of these men, all of their flaws included. You realize of course, had their flaws been erased from history you would never have been able to learn of them, and wouldn't even be in this discussion, so I don't know what you're argument is.

I've had time to get over it.

12. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

The chances are that one or two of your ancestors owned slaves. So you should kill yourself out of personal shame.
    However, even though I'm a leftie liberal, I still think your going too far. By all means admit that the founding fathers etc had good and bad sides (although if you read school textbooks i think youll find they're mostly portrayed as good.) and that they owned slaves. And that was bad by todays standard, so, I expect you to stand up against slavery in all its forms. Then you dont need to feel ashamed.

13. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Actually, of the main Founding Fathers, at least the ones that get the most press (G. Washington, T. Jefferson, J. Madison, B. Franklin, J. Adams, and A. Hamilton), only the 3 Virginians were slaveowners. Adams (Massachusetts), Franklin (Pennsylvania by way of Massachusetts), and Hamilton (New York by way of the West Indies) were never slaveowners, and all 3 spoke out against slavery.

14. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

The BDSM subculture encourages the taking, ownership, and psychological conditioning of slaves... you know, in case you were serious about wanting to look for some. I'm not sure but I also think you have to be into leather. But apart from bizzare and painful sexual acts, you can also use these BDSM slaves to clean up your house and what not.

15. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I'm not ashamed to live in a country founded by slaves.
    It's still being supported by slaves, and I'm still here.

"most people understand that people can do things that are bad and still be admirable."
    How do you figure?

17. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

Our you joking?

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't consider people that own slaves or do other things to hurt others too admirable.

19. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

Following that reasoning, childbirth is painfull so there are no admirable human beings.

20. maxzuk Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately Slavery is still with us:

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/slavery1.html

Instead of bemoaning things that have happened in the past (that you have no control of) – why not put your energy into correcting the current and future situations?

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Wrong.
    I said people that "do[]things to hurt others" are not so admirable.
    Not people that do things to help others.
    Asshole.

22. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Most great men or women probably have a skeleton or two in their closets. We know that Martin Luther King, Jr. plagarized his dissertation, as well as other papers while in school, and he was a known adulterer. Does that make what he did for the Civil Right's movement any less admirable?

23. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Of course nobody's perfect. Sure MLK is admirable for is important achievmtnts despite is lack of ideal perfection. But it's not like he was out to hurt anybody. But what is there to admire about somebody that is in their out self interest, out to hurt otheres? You might as well be looking for something that would make Adolf Hitler admirable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.