skydiving but my heart

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by whynot, Oct 2, 2011.

1. whynot Registered Senior Member

Good morning everyone.

I have a question concerning my heart murmur. There have been concerns with my heart but on strenious activity.

My dream is to one day sky dive. Someone gave me an invitation. However im fearful of hights but feel or want to get over it because of my love for wanting to fly in the clouds.
    I've dreamed of it. Some how feel I know what its like. Even picked out a flight suit dream. One that would allow me a slower desend but with speed. I would be looking like a flying squirl, I know.

Should I be concerned with my heart condition if ever the chance should arise again?

{edit} Oh and also I was wondering, because of alot of other health issues. I just can believe it would take much to drop into clouds free falling, and than go to a gradual desend. If something happens to my parachute I will just find some blackberry bushes to catch me.

So could there be other things i need to consider?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You should be asking your cardiologist about what is and isn't good for you because only they would know the exact condition that you now have.

As for jumping out of planes there's a static line which automatically opens your parachute when you leave the plane so there's no worry about pulling the rip cord until you gain enough jumps to sky dive without the static line. You also will be given a reserve chute if anything should happen to your main one so there's little to worry about in most instances. Talk with a sky diving business more about what they know concerning health issues, I'm not up on that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I say go for it. What do you have to lose...oh wait.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I am in perfect (for my age) health. I backpack and climb mountains, dangerous, strenuous sports that require strength, stamina and endurance.

I was invited to sky - dive once, but I turned it down. It was too dicey for me to risk, too much that was out of my control once I stepped out the door.

Ya gotta do what you think is best for you though. If it is your dream, I think that you should go for it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Ask a cardiologist, maybe they have a stabilizing med they could put you on...or maybe the murmur is NBD.

Hmmm...can I suggest getting gradually desensitized to your fear of heights first by say, hiking in mountains or rock-climbing?

(I never even suspected my wife was afraid of heights until we went to Chipinque park in Monterrey...I'm walking down a nice wide trail that happens to be on the side of a steep slope, and she's going "OHMYGAWD!" every time I get near the edge.
    It's a slope I could arrest myself on by spreadeagling in tennies and bare hands, has grass growing on it, could be climbed back up it no problem. And she's the one that knows how to rock climb?)

9. kira Valued Senior Member

If this will be your first time, you can also first try indoor skydiving. An example:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.vegasindoorskydiving.com/classes.php

From the link: "Indoor Skydiving is a safe and addictingly fun way for you to taste the thrill of skydiving without an airplane or parachute. No experience is necessary and just about anyone of any age can participate."

It costs 85$ (single flight) or 50$ (repeat flight). The real skydiving is I think about 4 times more expensive.

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

How about some of the terminology of skydiving. Like what do they call it when your shoot doesn't open and you go splat? Also, learn how to fold your own shoot and then never ever let anyone else do it for you.

11. whynot Registered Senior Member

They have sky diving simulation similar to this for $60 dollars for 3 hrs. Its required before going sky diving for anyone without experience.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

A bounce

Generally a bad idea for a new jumper.

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Only your doctor is going to be able to answer that. You also have to find the right doctor; some will hear nothing other than "skydiving" and say "well of course you can't do that! No one should! It's crazy."

Believe me, your heart will be going about as fast as it's ever gone just before you get out of the airplane. It doesn't take a lot of strength but it does cause a lot of stress on your body.

14. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

You resurrected a two-year-old thread for a "me too"?

15. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

no Pete, people are not equations.
    no Pete, this isn't physics and we are not following predetermined paths.

He resurrected? He wanted to talk and share that the fear of heights and old age as well as heart problems do carry a huge risk of death being one of them.

no Pete, he did not have to write a huge sentence describing the probabilities and statistics of a skydiving enterprise. Why? Because to us, simple words are easier to understand than long "I know everything Mr. PhD" attitude.

So lay off.