Skin Color and the Origin of Ancient Egyptians

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by q0101, Aug 15, 2006.

1. q0101 Registered Senior Member

There are cultural differences between Orientals and African Americans. I also remember writing that there are some groups with a higher percentage of people that have an above average I.Q. Culture, environments, and genetics are the factors that determines how intelligent a person will be. The average Oriental person (especially the Inuits) has a larger brain than all other racial groups. But brain size is not what determines how smart a person is. I think most Orientals could also have a naturally higher number of neurons and dendrites in the areas of the brain that play a role in mathematics.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carcano Valued Senior Member

There is some research that brain size and IQ are indeed correlated when adjusted for body weight.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniometry

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

You are correct. Very well-said.

For your critics: spidergoat isn't saying that this is the way it is... he is saying that it is consistent with evolutionary theory.

And frankly, backed up by psychology and anthropology. And not just for skin color. Wealthy people prefer to hang out with wealthy people. Sports fans with sports fans. Pretty people with pretty people. Look at any school cafeteria and you will find humans of all ages aligning themselves by associating with those that are most similar to themselves.

And frankly, I don't understand how anyone would be confused by this process, or object to its validity. Unless, of course, you presume that we are different from the animal kingdom, divinely created, and possessing pure souls of some sort.

Otherwise, it is like wondering why deer run from us, but not from other deer. The animals that do not act with fear and suspicion towards the things that are different from them are usually eaten. Which leaves in the genetic pool a preponderance of that allele which desires the destruction (or removal from self) of all things different.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

this doesn't prove a biological basis for race or racism.

8. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

Feels pretty good. Someone pop your cherry in jail or have you gone all the way with your boyfriend?

9. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

Probably the White population. This "experiment" has already been performed in real life by comparing the IQ of very low income White Kids vs high income Black kids and transracial adoption studies. Read all of this, it's covered.

http://www.amnation.com/vfr/archives/001132.html

5. However, the problem with the above view is that it leaves open a huge escape hatch for the supporters of affirmative action. They can concede that blacks are less intelligent now, but still insist that if we push blacks artificially into higher socioeconomic levels through massive affirmative action, then black intelligence will be equalized with that of whites. Or, if it’s too late for this generation of blacks to improve, then their children will grow up with a better environment (created through affirmative action) and will be more intelligent. Liberals are constantly looking for ways to keep the egalitarian social engineering project alive; and as long as that project is alive, any failure by society to achieve complete racial equality of outcomes will continue to be falsely blamed on "white racism," with all the divisive, demoralizing, and destructive effects that charge has on society. For these reasons, it’s not enough to know about the existence of racial differences in intelligence without also grasping the fact that these differences are not amenable to elimination by any known means. Of course, black intellectual performance could be improved, perhaps significantly in some cases, if society brought back real standards and discipline and if black illegitimacy were reduced. But that's not the same as eliminating the racial gap, which is the aim and demand of our ruling ideology.

6. Richard Lynn’s and Michael Levin’s articles on the Scarr-Weinberg cross-racial adoption study in the March 1994 American Renaissance settled these questions for me. The adoption study, which followed until adulthood black children adopted as babies by college educated whites, showed that even with a totally "white" upper middle-class environment and upbringing, the large black-white IQ gap remained; at best it was slightly narrowed. As Levin pointed out, this was a definitive demonstration of a hereditary racial difference in IQ.

10. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

No it's not cultural differences, genetics or any of this. Most people who come from Asia to America, are the best and brightest Asia has to offer. America on the other hand accepts the worst along with the best. You have people who come here illegally, with no family history of education or anything else. Most people coming from Asia were from the most elite families Asia had to offer. There are some elites of every race here and you see them in college, and then theres the masses, and most people who are poor arent black, but white. Most people who arent educated are white, because white is about 80% of the population. So the whole point is, it's not racial or cultural, it's class.

Like I said, if you want to see how successful Asians are in America, what have Asians in America invented, written or done? Just having degrees is not going to prove anything. I'm sure there are great Asians here, but there are great people of every group here. Class is more important than race when it comes to potential for success. By the way, if you go to Asian websites, there are poor Asians in this country, and if you've ever seen a Chinatown you know not all Asians are successful, as there as Asian ghettos too. It's more that most who come here come here with a plan, and they execute it. The slaves were brought here, and they werent trying to bring the smart ones here. So as a result you have some of the smartest and dumbest. The illegal immigration situation has the same type of side effect, if you just let anyone in here of course you won't have the best. Maybe we should only let people in here who have a college degree, then racism would still increase because then a lot of uneducated white males would complain that the asians, blacks and hispanics are stealing their jobs. So look, yes we need to educate the ones already here, but if we don't want more immigrants, close the borders, and if we want immigrants, then accept the ones who have an IQ over 100 and /or a college degree. This way the families you do get here will be culturally correct, and intelligent, in fact the families you'd get would be among the most intelligent here and it would most likely piss people off. Only 25% of Americans have a college degree. What you'd be talking about here is the top 10-5% of their ethnicity. China is no better, most Chinese arent even able to fully read and write, and arent college educated, there are a billion Chinese so it's that Asians are smarter, it's just when you have so many and you only invite the elite, you end up with a very small among of elite Asians. If you think Asians are so smart, why don't you invite them by the millions to compete with the Hispanics?

11. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

The Chinese and Japanese both here and in their own countries have way higher average IQs than Blacks.

12. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

What is annoying is when you people group people into "Black, White, Asian" as if all of the Whites are the same race, including the stupid whites with the college educated is just ridiculous. There are different tribes of White, Black and Asian. Among Asians, the Chinese and Japanese are the ones who are the ones scoring high on the IQ tests and who are creating the whole "model minority" image.

Each group or country of Asians is not the same race and you will piss off a Chinese person if you call them a Korean, and you will piss off a Japanese person if you call them a Korean because among Asians there are racial Hierachies. This also exists among Blacks as you have the BIll Cosby Black, and then you have the 50 Cent, and these are two different tribes/racial groups on the heirachy of Black. Whites have this too as you have the college educated professional, and then you have that guy living in the trailer collecting guns. Among Whites you have a lot of different races and tribes, so tell me, how exactly you can say that among the different races of White, that all Whites are one race, but you don't think that all humans are one race? If you are White then you know there is a difference between French, Irish, German, or any of the other races and tribes, and even between the race of these you have different tribes. Not all French come from the same tribe and have the same family history.

So, if you are going to discuss this, take into account that there are tribes, there were tribes in Africa, there were tribes in Asia and there were tribes in Europe, so either we are all mixed or what tribe? Tribe is more accurate of a predictor than race.

13. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

If IQ has a genetic determinate, then it must be different for different races. The question would remain "by how much?", and "what other factors contribute?".

It is obvious that different races have separate gene pools. There is a difference of height, skin color, athleticism, tolerance to diseases, susceptability to mutations, etc...

Any two groups that stop interbreeding are going to develop unique distributions of genes. That is the system we had in place for thousands and thousands of years. So, of course there are going to be differences.

The problem comes when people think we should treat people differently under the law due to those differences. The truth about genetic differences does not give license for immoral behavior. But we also shouldn't think that lying to ourselves, or concealing the truth, will somehow force us to be moral. We need the ability to understand the truth, and also to act in a rational way.

We already do this to some degree. On average, women are weaker than men. That is why we treat the two genders differently. When a woman physically hits a man, it does less damage than when a man exerts himself by the same percentage. Which means that a man can do more damage while less enraged than a woman can. Which means the rage threshold that becomes punishable due to action taken is much lower for men. We all know this and accept it. It is genetic discrimination that treads on moral inequality. It is because we have decided to use the outcome as the metric, and not the intent.

I personally think that there is a very large genetic determinate for IQ. Adoption and sparated twin studies keep bearing this out. I also know of many studies that find that men and women excel at different IQ tests. Men have a better spatial awareness than women (the old map-reading arguments) while women have a higher emotional IQ (insert gossip jokes and celebrity worship here). We accept this, but lather up when someone mentions that there is a racial inequality to IQ.

We can't all be the same. We have different gene pools. We should celebrate that. What matters is that we have the same rights and legal protection. No way in the world will we ever have the same opportunities. Impossible. You would have to deny everyone the right of ownership, and contract, in order to achieve that. Because we will always inheret different things and circumstances. Including our genes.

Taller people are paid more. A few thousand dollars a year per inch, if I remember correctly. Pretty people are treated better. We descriminate all the time, each of us. Unfair and imperfect, I know... we should struggle to be better. But we should be realistic as well. Some people are born at a disadvantage. The best thing we can do for them is to understand these differences and limitations, so we know how to best help them overcome to what degree they can. Pretending we are all equal is self-serving dellusion. It might make the politically correct sleep better, but it does nothing to affect reality.

14. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

It is obvious that different races have separate gene pools. There is a difference of height, skin color, athleticism, tolerance to diseases, susceptability to mutations, etc...

First question, how many races are there? Hundreds? dozens? how many different gene pools? Appearance only accounts for 15% of genetics variance leaving about 85% of the gene pool the same between and across races.

Second question, how do we define what a race is short of a genetic test showing two humans with seperate gene pools? You and your brother of the same skin color obviously have the same gene pool because you are from the same mother, but you and Charles Manson might not share as many genes as you and Kobe Bryant, or Dr. Phil.

Each of us are programmed by the mind virus memes to discriminate, and by fear. I admit, I do discriminate, but I do not discriminate on appearance, I discriminate on character and reputation. I could care less about how a person looks, but if a person acts like a jerk, they get treated as they treat everyone. I also discriminate about certain types of criminals, but who doesnt?

Discrimination is not bad, it's when you discriminate on appearance that you move away from the rational harm reduction discrimination, to the type of discrimination which makes you into the attacker/monster you claim to be defending yourself against. Racists simply believe that ALL bad people are black, or white, or whatever the opposite race of them is. That's just hatred, and it's immoral, as there are moral ethical people in every race, and racists in every race, and appearance has nothing to do with morality. If someone is stupid enough to think that people with dark hair are less honest, or people who have thin lips are better/the biggest liars, well they are just being racist. That is racism at the core, when you take physical appearance and you say "Ok, I don't like this persons lips, they must be a liar."

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  15. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

How can you trust the IQ exams they give in their own countries to themselves? You think they can't cheat?

16. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

And tribes are a subset of race. A tribe is a bunch of people living in a small area with much more genetic similarity and blood ties.

17. Count Sudoku Banned Banned

The people who test IQ do the testing themselves all over the world using the same standards. It's been done plenty of times and the results are usually the same no matter who does it.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

there has not been any sub-species of humans found, therefor race doesn't exist. race only exists as a political and social idea.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Incorrect and correct at the same time:

wikipedia:

There was one other subspecies of homo sapiens. But it went extinct.

However, this matter isn't entirely clear cut:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v423/n6941/full/423692a.html

The judge is still out on this one.

The idea of human races only exists indeed as a political and social idea.

20. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

I disagree. I think it is very helpful to use whatever data is at hand when making a decision. Often our data is very limited, especially at first.

When I first meet someone, or see someone, I make a lot of assumptions about them. That doesn't mean that I lock those ideas firmly in my head, it just means that my past experiences mean something to me, and they usually help me out. When I see a young male with his pants falling down, and a Laker's Jersey on, I don't care what color he is, but I still make some informed guesses about the person. I assume that the kid doesn't read much, hates school, likes basketball, listens to rap music, feels the need to prove his toughness to his peers, and covers his mouth with his fist when he laughs. Some of these, like not reading and not liking school, I apply to most youth when I see them. Am I open to changing my mind with further data? Of course. But this rarely happens.

The beautiful thing about stereotypes is that they are usually accurate. And an open mind is where you begin, it should never be where you end up.

21. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

I don't think you can learn much about a person by appearance. You cannot jduge a book by it's cover, and smart criminals will take advantage of your ignorance. Instead of the people who look different from you robbing you, you'll be robbed by the bank owner who looks just like you do. You'll be robbed by your boss. You'll be robbed by your clone, simply because you focus all your attention on what looks different, you ignore what looks the same. Most crimes and criminals you will face, most bullies you will face, most jerks you will face, will look a lot like you, come from your community, and maybe even go to the same church. Most snakes wear suits and ties, not Lakers Jerseys and baggy pants. But hey I guess you forgot all about Enron didn't you?

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

okay i'll admit that there have been sub-species of homo-sapiens found, but, there is no known sub species in existence. the ones that were found are now extinct and nothing more than fossils.

23. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

I don't invest in stocks... so Enron didn't hurt me. Actually I worked for a year for a guy that sold his Canadian natural gas company to Enron, right before they tanked. He took the millions and bought a house in South Florida, and a nice yacht, which I drove around for him for a year. So, in a way, I really made out from Enron's spending sprees!

And I disagree with your post, and stand by the fact that I can acquire a ton of information about a person just through observation.