Sir Anthony Hopkins: I couldn’t be an atheist

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mind Over Matter, Apr 15, 2011.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't care. An impression is not enough to evaluate a concept. Therefore, the idea of god is meaningless.

No it doesn't. It doesn't matter how advanced they are, they are still natural. If the supernatural is just a form of the natural, then the concept is meaningless.

No, by definition it is not natural, it's a way to avoid the limitations of known physics by suggesting something that does not and can not exist. Why? Because of one's desire to believe something, and that isn't valid way to achieve knowledge.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Epic fail... No - atheism is the lack of belief in God(s) - which may or may not include the belief that there is(are) no God(s).

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2335175&postcount=1

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Reading comprehension is not your forte' is it...

8. John99 Banned Banned

Top of my class in reading and spelling. In fact i won may spelling contests in spite of being dyslexic.

9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Then what doesn't make sense to you?

10. John99 Banned Banned

Lets see:

That whole statement makes no sense to me.

You lack belief in god but that does (may or may not) not include that you lack belief there are no god(s). ???

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Let's please not argue semantics. God is the idea that something made the universe, something which was not made, and which has personality and a plan. That's like saying the cause of the universe is something which is at once similar to a human king, and beyond investigation. This isn't an idea anyone should take seriously.

12. gmilam Valued Senior Member

No.

Lack of belief in God(s) != belief there are no God(s).

One is a lack of belief, one is a belief.

13. Rav Valued Senior Member

In other words, recognizing subtle (but important) distinctions isn't his forte.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not really, in modern popular use, and atheist is someone who believes there is no god or gods and nothing supernatural whatsoever. Please stop being a pedantic bore.

15. Rav Valued Senior Member

The problem is that most atheists (at least the ones that I know), when pressed, don't actually characterize their position that way. They will typically say things like "I don't believe in God" rather than "I believe that the existence of God is an absolute impossibility". They call themselves atheists but are in fact agnostic atheists, which is a term I have indirectly advocated for around here.

Being pedantic is important sometimes, if we want to be accurate.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not so important, since even the most ardent atheist doesn't say that it's an absolute impossibility.

17. Rav Valued Senior Member

There are those who believe that God is a logical impossibility.

The main problem is that theists often claim that atheism is just as much faith based as theism, because atheists are making the "claim" that there is no God. In response to this atheists are perpetually having to clarify their position, usually by stating that they aren't making any "claims" at all. It would be useful then, for any atheist who is not actually claiming that God is an impossibility, to characterize themselves as agnostic atheists, which would go some way towards solving the problem.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think it's impossible to say whether it's possible or impossible because it's not a coherent concept. I have a high degree of certainty that there is no truth to it, and refuse to call myself an agnostic.

19. gmilam Valued Senior Member

People have the false idea that we have a 3 way switch with Theist on one end, Atheist on the other and Agnostic in the middle. But this is not true, the middle setting is also Atheist.

And it amazes me how so many people have a hard time wrapping their little brains around this concept.

BTW - I will agree with you that the idea that the cause of the universe is something which is at once similar to a human king, and beyond investigation is ludicrous and not worth any serious thought. But that is not everyone's concept of "god".

20. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

A theist has no need to impress with theism unless he has revelations from God i.e. he's a prophet.

21. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

This was best covered by Russell in his 1947 essay Am I An Atheist Or An Agnostic?

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/russell8.htm

Theists are constantly trying to bait atheists into making positive claims so they can then portray us as being dogmatic.

22. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Some wise theists know this.

And the idea that the one who caused the universe is not at once similar to a human king and beyond investigation is not ludicrous and worth serious thought.

23. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Do atheists realize that beliefs seem to kill because theists and athiests must share the world otherwise there would only be people killing?