Sign stolen from Auschwitz found, police say

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Brian Foley, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats excellent. It means you don't need to learn English unless you choose to, or wear western clothing or "act white" to be upwardly mobile.

Ethnically, I'm a mongrel, with lots of unknowns in my pedigree. I could qualify for backward class certificates through one or another side of the family [there is greater ethnic diversity in the lower classes, they have less pure blood to worry about and greater incidences of women raped to care much about ethnocentrism]. So yeah, my definition of backward is usually relegated to those who show me the door in stores. I think its a pity that there has been so much loss of cultural diversity through European encroachment and I do my bit to maintain Indianness in my own social milieu.

Its also why all the handwringing over symbolism makes me impatient. I really don't care for such substitutes for action. I've seen all the evasive measures there are to avoid accountability

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I just want to re-address this point, it's actually an erroneous assumption.
    My skin is generally pale enough (especially since I moved south) that most people don't pick me as being Maori. Probably people would be more likely to pick me as being middle eastern or Mediterranean (with good reason).

Having said that, I've met two women, both with more 'recent' maori lineage than mine (more 'maori' than me from the point of view of blood purity) who were both as white as my wife is. One was half Maori, half norwegian, the other, I'm not sure what her 'pedigree' was, but she had pretty much dead straight coal black hair and blue eyes (given her surname, I'd say she's part irish).

I myself have lived in neighbourhoods where my skin colour was sufficiently pale to put me in the ethnic minority, and the associated 'experiences' that went with that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Only if you have a sufficiently prestigous whakapapa, or have sufficient mana to warrant it in Maori society, otherwise this approach would probably see you fall through the cracks of two societies.

As am I, one of the reasons I get so irritated when people try to pigeon hole me as something or other.

I'm a Kiwi, that's all there is to it. Nothing more, nothing less.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sounds like the caste system

Sounds like reductionism is your suit.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Sounds like insulting others when their chosen identity doesn't align with your warmed-over colonial liberation politics is your suit.

You are not entitled to an opinion about Trippy's nationality, ethnicity, etc. That shit is his.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Nope, but I can understand why you would see it that way as the caste system appears to be the limit of your experience.

Seeing as how you seem to like pigeon holing so much, what it takes to make it in (mainstream) New Zealand European society is a little different from what it takes to make it in (mainstream) New Zealand Maori soceity, and success in one doesn't neccessarily equate to success in the other, however it is possible to succeed in both, but, it's also possible to fail in both.

So if you reject one, and fail to succeed at the other, where does that leave you?

In the same place that failing at any single society leaves you.

No.
    I just choose to class myself as a Kiwi rather than as an English-Irish-Scottish-French-Jewish-Kievan-Varangian-Viking (or possibly Icelandic)-Maori. (and that's just (some of) what I've uncovered so far) - for one thing, it's easier to say.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Same place as the Dalits. Or the Brahmins. Pick the first one for the genealogically challenged and the second for the elite corps

I'm a Muslim, so I don't belong to a caste as such, still economics and networking is important and geography even more so.

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Tomato-tomatoe.

Here they're generally on social welfare, and live in a state house.

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Thanks, by the way

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Here they stage demonstrations against affirmative action and set themselves on fire.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This thread is closed pending a resolution by the moderators as to whether to permanently ban SAM from sciforums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.