Sightings of fictional characters in real life

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by SarahEllard, Sep 4, 2021.

1. SarahEllard Registered Member

This started after I read something in Fate Magazine and Fortean times of fictional characters being sighted in real life. In the former case, four people were killed by an entity that resembled the character Cecil from Beany and Cecil while they were spearfishing on a raft, and the story came from the sole survivor who had witnessed everything. There were news articles about the 4 people dying to back this all up. He was disturbed for the rest of his life because of what he saw and he suffered mental breakdowns afterward which only ended after the show finished airing, 3 months later. The latter case (the one mentioned in Fortean Times in 2016) didn't involve the character murdering anyone, but it involved a woman who had seen Slenderman approach her in a misty field. He started to stretch out his arms and start spinning while moving towards her. She ran, and her dog was scared also. Then she turned back and he had vanished, too quickly for it to have been a person. She didn't even know what Slenderman was until her daughter told her. Both of these cases involve the sighting happening at sundown and when there was fog or mist in the air.

Do you think this is legit? What could cause fictional characters to appear in reality, in physical form (that is capable of harming people)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Would need links to articles.

An active imagination.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SarahEllard Registered Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

An active imagination would connect the deaths to a cartoon character.

I've "seen" real people who died years earlier - my brother, my best friend. It's not much of a stretch to "see" any character that's in our consciousness. Our minds are evolved and trained to recognize people, places, etc. It's a benefit to survival. And like most mind functions, it isn't 100% reliable.

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Killed by Cecil from the cartoon Bennie and Cecil? How embarrassing, better than Bennie killing you I guess.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That wasn't what you asked that I responded to. You asked about a fictional character coming to life:
    I don't see any article in your links about 4 deaths-by-sea-monster, so further speculation is premature.

Still, it's not totally implausible that four people were killed by, say, a basking shark, and that the survivor mistook it for a sea monster.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  10. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Obviously, it's symptomatic of listening to the audio version of Clifford Simak's 1970 short-novel Out of Their Minds during bedtime. And shortly falling asleep thereafter, with the ensuing dreams conforming to the narrator's details.

BLURB: "Out of their minds and the force of their imagination, men have created countless beings, from demons and monsters of legend to comic-strip characters. What if their world were real -- if dragons, devils and Don Quixote hobnobbed with Dagwood Bumstead and Charlie Brown? Such a world would have its facinations, and its dreadful perils -- if it existed. Horton Smith found out that it did, and that he was right in the middle of it!"​

Six hours, 38 minutes long

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021